Usa Pan Am Games Possible Bid Cities

ChicagoUSA2016

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think any American cities have expressed interest in this.. But if anything, it should be the larger cities with big Latino/Hispanic communities as their presence would be very helpful. Well, the next one bound for North America would be the 2019 one -- which I guess they would award in 2012?

I think San Francisco would make a great host for this -- but only if it wouldn't put the city in great debt. (Miami I think is just TOOO humid and torrid in the summer.) I think that's the deterrent of the PanAms. They do NOT bring in the big TV bucks that the Olympics do -- unless it's Telemundo or Univision.

Maybe Houston should bid for one. They've gone for the Olympics in the past but will always be in the shadows of a Chicago, New York, Los Angeles and even San Francisco.

Yeah, really. Houston's Olympics dreams most likely shall never come to fruition, so they should try for the next best thing. The Pan Ams would seem to fit the bill for Houston. San Antonio tried to get the 2007 edition.

San Diego I don't think would be interested in such an event, although they could pull it off.

Yeah, really. Houston's Olympics dreams most likely shall never come to fruition, so they should try for the next best thing. The Pan Ams would seem to fit the bill for Houston. San Antonio tried to get the 2007 edition.

San Diego I don't think would be interested in such an event, although they could pull it off.

But Houston's heat is really quite brutal in the summer.

I'd say Boston, Seattle or Stanford (errr. I mean San Francisco) would be the next, most salubrious US sites for the 2019 PanAms. Altho, of course, if 2016 goes Chicago, and Winter and World Cup 2022 also go to the US, then the US dance card would be full. So the USOC might just have Canada get the 2019 Pan Ams since (I believe) they've never actually hosted it.

But Houston's heat is really quite brutal in the summer.

I'd say Boston, Seattle or Stanford (errr. I mean San Francisco) would be the next, most salubrious US sites for the 2019 PanAms. Altho, of course, if 2016 goes Chicago, and Winter and World Cup 2022 also go to the US, then the US dance card would be full. So the USOC might just have Canada get the 2019 Pan Ams since (I believe) they've never actually hosted it.

Yea we've hosted the Pan American Games in 1967 and 1999 in Winnipeg. Mexico has hosted 3 times, Canada, the USA and Argentina twice.

2015 could still be in North America and not have to wait until 2019.

I think Cleveland, Ohio should bid for a Pan American Games. They were originally chosen to host the 1959 Games, but the U.S. Congress's decision to cut $5,000,000 in federal funding forced them to withdraw as host. Since Cleveland Municipal Stadium is deceased, this is unlikely to happen.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I don't think any American cities have expressed interest in this.. But if anything, it should be the larger cities with big Latino/Hispanic communities as their presence would be very helpful. Well, the next one bound for North America would be the 2019 one -- which I guess they would award in 2012?

I think San Francisco would make a great host for this -- but only if it wouldn't put the city in great debt. (Miami I think is just TOOO humid and torrid in the summer.) I think that's the deterrent of the PanAms. They do NOT bring in the big TV bucks that the Olympics do -- unless it's Telemundo or Univision.

Well this is a games with a rotation pattern that is very predictable and you can chart out but also the rotation has come oddly with a couple of times the abandoning of hosting duties by a South American City to then go a Mexican or North American City. Unless Colombia or Peru defy the pattern North America is likely for 2015 if you indeed consider Mexico to be part of Central America. The debate on the America's geography has many definitions according to who you talk to .

Bidding cities recently from America have been San Antonio, Texas who lost to Rio for 2007 and Raleigh, North Carolina. Indianapolis was the last American city to host in 1986 and they did that on a Rescue of the Games when Santiago Chile withdrew and then Quito , Ecuador withdrew being a replacement for Santiago late in 1984. America has only won once probably with Bid competition for 1959 and the City of Cleveland withdrew to then have the games staged in Chicago.

America could be due but San Antonio who was beaten by Rio for the last games in 2007 did not stage a bid for 2011 with the games going to Guadalajara Mexico unopposed. A few were rumored for 2011 like Detroit but not Many American Cities take the plunge. You would think LA would do them some time or Miami. I saw an interview with people in a sports bar in the southwestern United States during the last Pan Am's and no one knew what they were.

jim jones

Any US city that would want to host the Pan Am Games would have to be one with most of the big facilities ready. I doubt they'd be willing to build a track stadium for that single purpose...unless an NFL team was looking for a new stadium and was willing to wait a few months for the retrofit.

Any US city that would want to host the Pan Am Games would have to be one with most of the big facilities ready. I doubt they'd be willing to build a track stadium for that single purpose...unless an NFL team was looking for a new stadium and was willing to wait a few months for the retrofit.

It would probably be a university facility (as it was in 1987) that could host the event.

• 4 weeks later...
It would probably be a university facility (as it was in 1987) that could host the event.

Universities for the most part with the NCAA has multi-decade master plans for Stadiums that have started in the early 1900's with a plot land that 10000 seats could be put on and then Expanded to 10's of thousands over time. A perfect example in in Knoxville with the University of Tennessee. They started with Ten thousand seats in 1921 and now have football stadium in the 100,000 seat range. 18 development stages. Pretty much every southern college has the same approach and thus there is little need for an Athletics Stadium for these campus' . With the University of Tennessee they also have a very good Aquatics Centre , A 20000 seat plus basketball Arena . Small Softball and Baseball Stadia and a dedicated Athletics field with a grandstand for 10000.

San Antonio was actually the America Bid city that was against Rio for 2007. A sport Administrator Friend Actually said to me he voted for San Antonio over Rio as he could see huge problems with Rio while San Antonio had many of the facilities and good transportation on the ground for the size of the city.

The Video for Toronto 2015 is very good.

Jim jones

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Houston would be an ideal choice. Most, if not all venues, are already in place. I would love to see the Pan Am Games in Houston.

I agree with that . Then you have a very big mix of Nationalities from all the Americas in Texas in General who might think of going to Pan am events in support of their former home countries.

Jim jones

• 3 months later...
Which cities in the USA should bid for a future Pan Am Games?

What would be the minimum qualifications for a Pan Am bid (city population, etc.)?

Houston and San Antonio would be IDEAL for the Pan Am Games. Both have a heavy Hispanic community and most venues are already in place to host the Games. San Antonio was beated out recently, but I feel both would and could host a very successful Pan Am games.

I think the USOC is content to let the other countries battle it out for the PanAms ...which DON'T get high TV ratings in the US...so the USOC can't be bothered with wanting to host them.

The USOC would rather concentrate on the BIG one...the Olympics...because those bring in BIGGER bucks for the operation which gets NO public funding whatsoever.

I agree with that . Then you have a very big mix of Nationalities from all the Americas in Texas in General who might think of going to Pan am events in support of their former home countries.

Jim jones

2011 will be in Guadalajara, Mexico (as everyone knows). 2015 will be determined this year. Toronto (Canada), Lima (Peru), and Bogota (Colombia) are all in the bidding process for 2015. I think Toronto is the odds-on favorite. I just wish a USA city would get into the mix.

• 4 weeks later...
I think the USOC is content to let the other countries battle it out for the PanAms ...which DON'T get high TV ratings in the US...so the USOC can't be bothered with wanting to host them.

The USOC would rather concentrate on the BIG one...the Olympics...because those bring in BIGGER bucks for the operation which gets NO public funding whatsoever.

add to that Baron if people in Chicago are going ape over the potential costs of the Olympics with a history of profits when held in America what type of opposition would there be to staging a games on the public dime to the tune that Rio 2007 was or Toronto 2015 might be .

In many cases it would be a take it or leave it deal with an American Pan Am Games . Toronto I am sure is trying to build a legacy to roll towards a bid on the Summer Olympics by first bidding on and staging the Pan Ams. Hamilton as co host with the Main athletics stadium could then bid on a future Commonwealth Games if they wished and also be part of a Toronto Olympics in the future.

jim jones

Archived