Where Is The London 2012 Countdown Clock?

The_Torch

• 2 years later...

Its in Trafalgar Square! Funny design I must say..... but in coherent with the logo I suppose!

1675159_Trafalgar%20Sq%202012%20clock%20ready.jpg

Olympic clock set for Trafalgar Square

15 September 2010 | By Andrea Klettner

The proposals do not specify who designed the clock, which is set to be approved on Thursday, just days before the start of London Design Festival.

The 6.5m-high structure, developed by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (Locog) and sponsored by Omega, will have a concrete base and will be clad in brushed stainless steel. It will sit in the north-west corner of the square from 15 March 2011 to mark the 500 day deadline to the start of the Games.

For night time viewing it will feature LED lighting strips of varying colour, while the digital clocks and Olympic and Paralympic logos will also be illuminated.

Planners at the council admitted “there is much to take issue with in terms of design” citing its “asymmetrical position, its substantial height, the cladding materials and the illumination” as inappropriate, but recommended its approval because of the exceptional circumstances.

English Heritage declined to respond to the planning application, with just two bodies – the Westminster Society and the Thorney Island Society – raising objections.

The countdown clock is a stalwart of pre-Olympic marketing in host cities – Beijing placed its version in Tiananmen Square - and the council believes it will become a tourist attraction.

Subject to approval, London’s will remain in place until the end of the Paralympic Games and will finally be removed on 14 September 2012.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/uk/olympic-clock-set-for-trafalgar-square/5005658.article

Its in Trafalgar Square! Funny design I must say..... but in coherent with the logo I suppose!

1675159_Trafalgar%20Sq%202012%20clock%20ready.jpg

Olympic clock set for Trafalgar Square

15 September 2010 | By Andrea Klettner

The proposals do not specify who designed the clock, which is set to be approved on Thursday, just days before the start of London Design Festival.

The 6.5m-high structure, developed by the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (Locog) and sponsored by Omega, will have a concrete base and will be clad in brushed stainless steel. It will sit in the north-west corner of the square from 15 March 2011 to mark the 500 day deadline to the start of the Games.

For night time viewing it will feature LED lighting strips of varying colour, while the digital clocks and Olympic and Paralympic logos will also be illuminated.

Planners at the council admitted “there is much to take issue with in terms of design” citing its “asymmetrical position, its substantial height, the cladding materials and the illumination” as inappropriate, but recommended its approval because of the exceptional circumstances.

English Heritage declined to respond to the planning application, with just two bodies – the Westminster Society and the Thorney Island Society – raising objections.

The countdown clock is a stalwart of pre-Olympic marketing in host cities – Beijing placed its version in Tiananmen Square - and the council believes it will become a tourist attraction.

Subject to approval, London’s will remain in place until the end of the Paralympic Games and will finally be removed on 14 September 2012.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/uk/olympic-clock-set-for-trafalgar-square/5005658.article

It looks like nothing

Even though most of us don't like the logo or the mascots, I actually... like it. Just because it's coherent with the style of the logo, but the logo still sucks. I like ours in Vancouver because it utilized wood. I wonder what it's future is - if it's staying put by the art gallery or if they'll relocate it somewhere such as, by the cauldron.

The render isn't particularly good after having read the description. Brushed steel will look very classy, where as it just looks grey and muddy in the render.

My only issue is why didnt they put it on the 4th plinth?

I disagree - I'd quite like the rotating art programme to carry on as it is. I think it's been a success and a point of interest in the Square. I don't think the clock should take its place.

With a bit of imagination they could have combined the two, get 6 artists to design clocks that the public get to vote on. Winner gets put up on the plinth.

The clock they have come up with is cool, it reflects the brand, its more interesting than the Beijing one. With regards to the Plinth I voted for the brick battenberg, the reason I put was because I like cake : )

With a bit of imagination they could have combined the two, get 6 artists to design clocks that the public get to vote on. Winner gets put up on the plinth.

The clock they have come up with is cool, it reflects the brand, its more interesting than the Beijing one. With regards to the Plinth I voted for the brick battenberg, the reason I put was because I like cake : )

davey - i know what you mean - but i agree with rob - the 4th plinth is an established outlet for a succession of different artists and has become a bit of a london institution (thanks to Ken Livingtone).

the countdown closk is just too corporate for the plinth. that said like the design - on brand with the london 2012 branding - will great insitu - good work!!

btw - i think the 500 day mark on the 15th Mar will also see the launch of the torch and the torch relay route - this was the stage that beijing did it.

but then again cities don't tend to follow each other's timetables!?

And, with the exception of pictograms, London is launching everything later than Beijing.

the countdown closk is just too corporate for the plinth. that said like the design - on brand with the london 2012 branding - will great insitu - good work!!

Pardon me for speaking my mind but wasn’t one of the characteristics of the logo supposed to be that it wasn’t just a piece of corporate branding,

This clock looks like a shop fitting from PC world.

I've never seen a six-and-a half-metre high brushed stainless steel shop fitting in PC world with LED illuminations. It's certainly fairly corporate, but I could imagine it more in BMW's Worldwide HQ than in PC world.

Besides which, it's got a bloody great Omega logo on it because they are the ones behind it and the ones sponsoring it. Omega would have commissioned the design and chosen the design agency, not the ODA or LOCOG - and this was the case in Vancouver as well. It has to fit whatever image they want to project of themselves as a brand during the Games, as well as something of the Olympic branding.

It is, when all is said and done, a big advert paid for and produced by Omega.

I've never seen a six-and-a half-metre high brushed stainless steel shop fitting in PC world with LED illuminations. It's certainly fairly corporate, but I could imagine it more in BMW's Worldwide HQ than in PC world.

Besides which, it's got a bloody great Omega logo on it because they are the ones behind it and the ones sponsoring it. Omega would have commissioned the design and chosen the design agency, not the ODA or LOCOG - and this was the case in Vancouver as well. It has to fit whatever image they want to project of themselves as a brand during the Games, as well as something of the Olympic branding.

It is, when all is said and done, a big advert paid for and produced by Omega.

This is true, we have to remember its an advert for omega , and we shouldn’t read to much in to it, as a symbol of the 2012 Olympics, its just a clock.

It is a shame we couldn’t have something more interesting though,

Archived