Rejected Beijing Oc Ideas

i have the feeling that some of them arent really conceptuall drawings but fantasy works of some chinese artists who were not involved...

By the way,.. what do you think about the use of 3d projections and hologramms? Would you mind the extreme use of them in a opening ceremony or would you prefer to try to use the real element... Example: Lets say it is possible to simulate visualy rain. Would it be ok or would you prefer "real rain"?

Both would have artistic merit in different ways.

For example, the element of fire certainly has impact if it's real.

However by the same token, the way Beijing had their screens up during the nature segment was also extremely effective in terms of their imaging. I think that would have looked equally good with projected flames on it, just in a different way.

Depends on the context really.

^Really, it’s just concept art. I'm sure the initial illustrations of what they ended up going with looked much more grand and ambitious. It's the same thing with buildings, stadiums, etc.

Well, yes - that's what production / storybook drawings area. They put into tangible 2-dimensional form what the directors and other conceptualizers CONCEIVE -- except they cannot draw as well as professional artists. So professional graphic artists ARE hired to portray these ideas.

How sure are you that "...the initial illustrations of what they ended up going with looked much more grand and ambitious..."? Not necessarily. Plain drawings are all you need to convey your idea to your team.

What's with your pooh-poohing the artwork? They weren't meant to be anything else but conceptual drawings. They weren't meant to go into an exhibit or into a competition; purely for the production team's benefit. Obviously, you have not sat in on any professional big event production meetings.

'Really, it's just concept art." Can you do any better?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Are these official concept art? Because I would hardly believe that BOC would use video game characters. And some of the photoshop effects look very off and half-assed.

Does it matter whether they are 'Official" or not? They are merely working concepts AND REJECTS? Maybe they were going to have an anime-type sequence? Why should it matter what state they are in?

Well it does. If they arent official then they cant be rejected OC ideas either!!

Why would anybody fake Official Rejected Ideas? :blink: What is there to be gained?

That is the most bizarrely convoluted thinking I've encountered this month.

So you mean to tell me, Dmitris and his team didn't have rejected ideas - but those had to be first branded as "Official Possible Ideas;" and then when rejected, had to go thru the 'Official Rejection" process? :blink:

Uh - huh. I see where you are going with this thought process... :rolleyes:

Looney Tunesville, man, Looney Tunes...

Kinda makes me sorry I even shared this subject with such erudite minds here...

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I think the question is are these ideas really ideas that were explored by the official team responsible for the ceremonies or were they just the passing fancy of an Olympic ceremonies fan. There is a big difference.

Well, I was given the website. It's in Chinese. If someone here can decipher Chinese, then we'll know. But I think with the calibre of thinking portrayed on the drawings -- and where they were headed and what was ultimately deemed 'performable' leads me to believe they are authentic.

But hey, who am I to interject my thoughts?

If there are others here who have more brilliant deductive and Holmesian powers, then by all means they should launch their own Da Vincian Code investigation.

And if they were fancies of just another Ceremonies groupie, well that artist should pass out his calling card to the Big event production companies. Kinda a lot of trouble for mere fanciful thinking...

Mercy Pierre pour le compliment...

Of course there are rejected ideas for every OC. Dozens of rejected ideas...

I just said that i have the feeling that some of those pictures are just drawings of artits inspired by the OC or trying to present an own idea.

For example this picture:

0005922813.jpg

It seems more like a drawing of a young manga artist... I may be wrong but imo it doenst fit in Zhan Yimous style.

On the "Making of Video of Beijing OC" there are also some rejected ideas to see.

Why would anybody fake Official Rejected Ideas? :blink: What is there to be gained?

That is the most bizarrely convoluted thinking I've encountered this month.

So you mean to tell me, Dmitris and his team didn't have rejected ideas - but those had to be first branded as "Official Possible Ideas;" and then when rejected, had to go thru the 'Official Rejection" process? :blink:

Uh - huh. I see where you are going with this thought process... :rolleyes:

Looney Tunesville, man, Looney Tunes...

Kinda makes me sorry I even shared this subject with such erudite minds here...

I don't know why your getting so defensive about this.

I don't know why your getting so defensive about this.

well, I really expected more from aficionados of this site. What do I have to gain by posting counterfeit stuff?

Don't you think I have enough savviness to post bonafide material as such and fake stuff as such. Well, I guess you haven't been around long enough to discern that.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Mercy Pierre pour le compliment...

Of course there are rejected ideas for every OC. Dozens of rejected ideas...

I just said that i have the feeling that some of those pictures are just drawings of artits inspired by the OC or trying to present an own idea.

For example this picture:

0005922813.jpg

It seems more like a drawing of a young manga artist... I may be wrong but imo it doenst fit in Zhan Yimous style.

On the "Making of Video of Beijing OC" there are also some rejected ideas to see.

U know, savas, obviously they hired artists who are very hip and attuned to manga-anime styles. I don't see that at all as being contradictory to Yimou's style. Walt Disney would guide his animators but he told them to go beyond what he asked -- to stretch their imaginations. And then he and his top directors would HONE down the work of the lower ranks. Same process here -- perhaps a similar process too with Papiannou?

I don't see why Yimou would limit himself to what the conceptual artists painted or didn't paint. He (and or his top associates) have final say; so he can reject any or all drawings.

And you DON'T understand...they are merely studies -- some of them probably the artists' imaginations; the others ideas of the Conception Team. They are NOT the blueprints for the actual executions. They are various options. And knowing the Chinese paranoia for 'image,' I think they released only the most polished drawings -- not the cruder or more basic ones.

Unless there are more 'common-sense' comments here, I am over and out on this subject.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Don't you think I have enough savviness to post bonafide material as such and fake stuff as such. Well, I guess you haven't been around long enough to discern that.

Whoa -- be careful, big mouth. Already your Beijing cauldron speculations which all lead into the wrong direction showed that your savviness is limited, too.

Whoa -- be careful, big mouth. Already your Beijing cauldron speculations which all lead into the wrong direction showed that your savviness is limited, too.

Those were ALL speculations -- as everyone else's was. I prefaced everything with: "I THINK..." I never said I am infallible. Just as your mid-air ideas were Totally ridiculous.

Well, that's all past...and if you want to get really petty...and go challenging...then fine. Do it yourself.

If you think these drawings are FAKE. Then fine, what do I care? Who am I to challenge you? I just wanted to share.

You can be SURE I WON'T BE SHARING any more such info I have with this board...or any other board w/ such nincompoop, from this point on.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

well, I really expected more from aficionados of this site. What do I have to gain by posting counterfeit stuff?

I'm not saying you knowingly posted fake images. Your intentions were good, obviously. But perhaps the original source of the images were trying to pull our legs? A lot of the images look very badly done. With all the money going into the ceremony, you would think that anything official would look more professionally done than this. For example, this picture looks to me like a copy+paste job.

0005922813.jpg

I can do a better job with photoshop.