B Inter 1-0 Anorthosis

B Panathinaikos 2-2 Bremen

C Shakhtar 0-1 Sporting

C Basel 0-5 Barcelona

D Atlético 1-1 Liverpool

D PSV 2-0 Marseille

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Manchester United will face Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez was handed a return to Spain to face former club Real Madrid in the draw in Nyon.

Former Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri will make an emotional return to Stamford Bridge after Juventus were paired with last season's runners-up.

Arsenal, like Chelsea, will have been delighted to have avoided Barcelona and will take on AS Roma.

Chelsea v Juventus

Villarreal v Panathinaikos

Sporting Lisbon v Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid v FC Porto

Lyon v Barcelona

Real Madrid v Liverpool

Arsenal v Roma

Inter Milan v Manchester United

Some delicious ties there. The emotion will be at Stamford Bridge when Claudio Ranieri goes back there and I'm sure the Chelsea fans will give him a magnificent ovation there.

None of the English teams have got an easy tie but I would take all of them to progress to the last eight over the two legs. I think having the second leg at home is a particularly big advantage for the likes of Liverpool.

And, despite the pundits saying otherwise, I don't expect Barcelona to have it all their own way against Lyon.

Manchester United will face Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez was handed a return to Spain to face former club Real Madrid in the draw in Nyon.

Former Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri will make an emotional return to Stamford Bridge after Juventus were paired with last season's runners-up.

Arsenal, like Chelsea, will have been delighted to have avoided Barcelona and will take on AS Roma.

Chelsea v Juventus

Villarreal v Panathinaikos

Sporting Lisbon v Bayern Munich

Atletico Madrid v FC Porto

Lyon v Barcelona

Real Madrid v Liverpool

Arsenal v Roma

Inter Milan v Manchester United

A lot of very tough draws, I am happy with Munich's draw.

Don't know if you've heard any more on this, Rei, but I've just seen a report saying Roma are looking at leaving the Olympic Stadium to build their own ground. Any word over there?

It's been years that rumors about a new own stadium in Rome follow one after the other. First came from Lazio (the so called "Delle Aquile") and now from Roma.

No idea how truthful could be these last news. Btw is a matter of fact that many italian teams are seriously cosidering building new OWN stadia or revamping the old ones.

Right now Juve is just demolishing its Delle Alpi to build a new arena. I think others will follow soon.

RE: Juventus

It seems odd that a 67,000 seat stadium built in 1990 is being demolished 18 years later. It seems even weirder that the stadium that will replace it will only have 40,000 seats.

But then again, I've heard the Delle Alpi was a terrible stadium for watching football in, so maybe it's not such a bad thing. And if Juve only need 40,000 seats (that's sounds like a very small number for a club their size, but I'm sure they know better than I do) then it's probably a good decision.

RE: Juventus

It seems odd that a 67,000 seat stadium built in 1990 is being demolished 18 years later. It seems even weirder that the stadium that will replace it will only have 40,000 seats.

But then again, I've heard the Delle Alpi was a terrible stadium for watching football in, so maybe it's not such a bad thing. And if Juve only need 40,000 seats (that's sounds like a very small number for a club their size, but I'm sure they know better than I do) then it's probably a good decision.

The running track in the Delle Alpi made viewing hard, it really obstructed views. Also, most of Juventus's home matches are watched by season-holders so thus the downgrading.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Arsenal v Roma

Inter Milan v Man Utd

And don't forget Chelsea v Juventus tomorrow as well!

English and Italian pride very much up for grabs tonight and tomorrow. I wouldn't want to call any of these results over one or two legs. It's interesting that both Man Utd and Inter are running away with their leagues, both Arsenal and Roma are lower than they'd normally wish to be and look like missing out on next year's competition, and both Chelsea and Juve are chasing the title but are a little way behind the leaders. Really strange conincidence!

Premier League

Serie A

Archived