After Beijing It Is Harbin's Turn To Shine.

LiuTian

If Harbin did land the Winter Games, it would be the largest city to ever do so...double that of Vancouver. They also have the record of Beijing behind them and offer access to a growing winter sport culture in a massive market. I wouldn't flat out rule it out. What was their prime reason for being cut from the shortlist in 2010? Infrastructure? Organization? Experience? Beijing 2008? Or the 2009 Winter Universiade?

If Harbin did land the Winter Games, it would be the largest city to ever do so...double that of Vancouver. They also have the record of Beijing behind them and offer access to a growing winter sport culture in a massive market. I wouldn't flat out rule it out. What was their prime reason for being cut from the shortlist in 2010? Infrastructure? Organization? Experience? Beijing 2008? Or the 2009 Winter Universiade?

Political, the mountains are in disputed territory. I don't think the IOC would want the China headache again anytime soon.

What headache? Lavish wenues that were completed on time by a government and people willing to do almost anything to please the Olympic overlords? Yeah, Beijing had political problems, but the IOC generally tends to ignore that and I really doubt that they care about totalitarianism and pollution when they get offered excellently organized Games.

so what? so is san francisco. so are a lot of cities.

I don't understand the way what you've said. Yes there are a lot of cities like that, but each city is unique.

Well, in China it's hard to see a western cultures city. Harbin is a city with Chinese and Russian culture mixed.

:P

Korea will host the next Winter Olympics in Asia

wouldn't be too sure about that. In recent year, China's Winter Sports have been on the rise. China won more medals than the Koreans at last year's Asian Winter Games and in 1999 when the Koreans hosted. It will be pretty close.

No, but you're still cute anyway.

That I have to agree ! 他真的是十分英俊 ! :lol:

:P

wouldn't be too sure about that. In recent year, China's Winter Sports have been on the rise. China won more medals than the Koreans at last year's Asian Winter Games and in 1999 when the Koreans hosted. It will be pretty close.

That I have to agree ! 他真的是十分英俊 ! :lol:

Thanks. :P

In short: no.

Was Beijing a success? Sure, but that was rather in spite of the Chinese government. The athletes made Beijing the success it was, not the organizers. Quite frankly, I think the IOC would rather just avoid the headaches and broken promises again and look elsewhere.

Credit for trying though.

No way. Not only will Harbin not be in the running for 2018, but I'll go so far as to say that without significant changes in political/social development, China won't get any more Olympics--Summer or Winter--during my lifetime (estim about 20-ish more years). Not after the way the Chinese gov't and organizers broke just about every promise made and made a monkey out of the IOC. Impressive completed venues notwithstanding, dealing with the Chinese is just more trouble than it's worth, and I think there will be some more new, negative revelations yet to come to light from the Beijing Games. There are just too many other, better places in the world to award the Games. This prediction of course assumes that the Chinese wouldn't ever try to come up with lavishing the backhanders on enough IOC members to swing a future bid, or that IOC members would consider taking same. B)

I think it is not the question only, if the IOC give another Olympic Games to the PR of China, but if the government of the PR of China wants another Olympic Games, since the government had to learn that Olympic Games doesn't draw admiration to the hosting country only, but "disagreeable" attention of the world public toward the internal and international policitics, too.

Unfortunately, Sochi will be the winter Beijing... then 2018 will go to PyeongChang, and so Harbin will have to wait 20 years after another Asian Winters, so the earliest would be 2038 for a Harbin Winter Games.

Tokyo, Japan the First Asian City to host the summer games in 1964 followed by Sapporo, Japan the first Asian City to host the Winter Olympics in 1972 a mere eight years later. Look at Canada and Calgary coming 12 years after Montreal. China has that type of Dynamic right now. European hosted winter games are going to tend to get further apart.

Harbin is in the realm of great possibility considering Beijing 2008's huge success from every stand point. I would say indeed go for 2018 as PyeongChang could become a back to back loser like an Istabul, Montreal, or Even Los Angeles for the 1970's. Considering the Co operation Beijing afforded the IOc and NBC to make the Games a Ratings success in the Worlds large economy you can look for that type of goodwill to be on the minds of IOC members. nothing like making your largest private sector contributor happy and Beijing certainly did that.

I could see Harbin in 2018 and Shanghai for the 2028 Summer Games. If the IOC gets a huge TV deal from China in the hundreds of millions for the next two olympics then China will acquire the economic clout within the IOC on top of the Beijing 2008 success. South Korea hardly pays for TV rights on the Olympics.

Brazil is also seems to be looking to support a bid with increasing what they Pay for Olympic Broadcast rights hugely . Brazil's pay out jumped by a factor of 6 times. From 10 million to 60 million dollars. It is a far cry from the entire EU and further away from American Tv but it shows commitment to the Movement.

Jim jones

In short: no.

Was Beijing a success? Sure, but that was rather in spite of the Chinese government. The athletes made Beijing the success it was, not the organizers. Quite frankly, I think the IOC would rather just avoid the headaches and broken promises again and look elsewhere.

Credit for trying though.

Beijing is a Huge Success and was a couple of things . Yes the Performances were great but that was partly because of the quality of the Venues which the organizing committee provided. A friend of mine who won a gold medal in Sydney said " you put the Sydney and Athens athletes villages together and both would not match what Beijing Has for the athletes village ." He went on to say the organization and transportation was incredible.

Broken Promises UM . Do you think the IOC gives a rats ass when they are looking at a Foreign soil olympics being watched by more Americans then Atlanta 1996 ? Europe or Australia don't even have numbers that match with the exception of Lillyhammer 1994 and that was due to Tonya Harding and skatergate.

Beijing 2008 means bigger tv deals post 2012 and most likely bigger sponsorship deals for all over the place . Sponsors are not going to dive into a Mature and declining market in the Uk for 2012 but Harbin and China they will simply because you have the exact same formula a market place of 1.3 billion which should be the a huge consumer economy making China today look small. GE , Coca Cola, Mc Donald's and a host of others will put up big money for more access to China .

And as to headaches for Beijing and the IOC Did you happen to know on the second Day the IOc told the orrganizing committee they were going to push back daily meeting for problems of operation to every two days because Beijing was that efficient . Halfway thru no meetings at all. The chinese had the most organized games and the most watched which will provide huge increases in revenue for the IOc after the TV deals expire for 2010 and 2012.

The political protests and the stuff external of China might have had headaches for the IOc but the end result that Beijing provided a huge wedge in future Tv contracts in their favor will not be lost on the IOC. All the IOC does for silence the political protest is not to provide the platform in the forum of an International Torch Relay. That has already basically been decided on anyways.

Man Some People Don't understand the BOTTOM line as in Money made by the IOC is all that dives the organization not human rights or Politics.

Jim jones

I think it is not the question only, if the IOC give another Olympic Games to the PR of China, but if the government of the PR of China wants another Olympic Games, since the government had to learn that Olympic Games doesn't draw admiration to the hosting country only, but "disagreeable" attention of the world public toward the internal and international policitics, too.

The IOC are HOES and the Pimps are American TV networks and the Top sponsors of which over 60 percent come from America.

Returning to a growing and large Asian Consumer Market has been done before . Toyko 1964 followed by Sapporo 1972 . Coming back to 1.3 billion potential customers in China has huge economic positives for Olympic sponsors and Partners.

Wow can anyone actually remember the protests in San Francisco or Paris? Those Images are there but basically erased with the Opening and Closing ceremonies which certainly didn't miss Stephen Speilberg.

China I am sure would jump at the chance to do the winter games simply because it would provide a second platform to put over a new image of China. The Winter games are much less costly but China has so much money that it would not concern them.

Jim jones

Broken Promises UM . Do you think the IOC gives a rats ass when they are looking at a Foreign soil olympics being watched by more Americans then Atlanta 1996 ? Europe or Australia don't even have numbers that match with the exception of Lillyhammer 1994 and that was due to Tonya Harding and skatergate.

Beijing 2008 means bigger tv deals post 2012 and most likely bigger sponsorship deals for all over the place . Sponsors are not going to dive into a Mature and declining market in the Uk for 2012 but Harbin and China they will simply because you have the exact same formula a market place of 1.3 billion which should be the a huge consumer economy making China today look small. GE , Coca Cola, Mc Donald's and a host of others will put up big money for more access to China .

Jim jones

However, China better watch it. If China ultimately topples the US in medal count, US viewership would probably go down. A lot of the US watches because we are sending VERY competitive teams. But once a China displaces us as the world's superpower, viewership will go down, NBC will have to demand rebates, and the IOC will go into a defensive mode, money-wise. So, it's a double-edged sword.

Beijing was a success on paper but left such a sour note with everybody that Harbin is back to being one of the longshots for a winter bid. Before the 2008 games I had a similar view in that it would only be a decade or so before China's first WOG in Harbin, but then it all happened...

Beijing was great, but as was mentioned before, this was mostly due to the athletes, the ceremony performances, the positive turns of weather, and timeliness of construction firms. Everybody came out feeling a little bit agitated by the government influenced organizers who gave off an aura of "China vs. World" with their constant nitpicking and criticizing of everything that wasn't Chinese.

If we go by the same logic, New York 2012 would have been a DEFINITE success regardless of "stadiumgate" because of the US' consistent Olympic hosting ability and marketing opportunities. Why did it lose? Mostly, the US had left a sour note with the rest of the world at the period of time. China is the new US (which in this past decade, the US was the new Soviet Union). Technically elite, but politically a gamble.

Thank goodness for Germany, Norway, the US, Russia, and Canada in the winter games. Winter Olympic elitism is always hard to justify because of those five nations' similar amounts of success. :P

As I've said before about another China summer games, Harbin couldn't happen until the country does a 180 turn with its 'baditude' before will it even be considered. In hope to avid supporters of Harbin: It's very possible and even LIKELY in the next couple of decades! No meganation that is the subject to criticism and domestic problems remains a raging picked-at bullying machine forever. They have a tendency to always relax out quite a bit at some point. I bet Beijing will be a catalyst like Moscow was in the boycott years. The realization of the host nation suddenly kicks in. "Huh... well. I guess it's not THAT big of a deal to be the alpha dog after all. Let's find other things to do!"

Do you think the IOC gives a rats ass when they are looking at a Foreign soil olympics being watched by more Americans then Atlanta 1996 ? Europe or Australia don't even have numbers that match with the exception of Lillyhammer 1994 and that was due to Tonya Harding and skatergate.

What in the world does Tonya Harding got anything to do Harbin's bid. Your posts has the word IRRELEVANT written all over it.