Best Handover Ceremony

BanzaiB

Which handover ceremony do you think was best, and worst? I'm including both Summer and Winter games.

Some youtube videos:

Atlanta:

Sydney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFIZWOwJqIE

Beijing

Nagano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP-vnz9c6Og

Salt Lake City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3j5_17oMHI

Torino:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcEsv8HE-b0

Vancouver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOcXtsbLw4I...feature=related

They're all pretty similar in some shape or form. Dancers, costumes and singing or music.

There's not a whole lot you can do differently in just 8 minutes. Atlanta and Sydney had the benefit of the entire field to do their presentation, unlike Beijing and London.

If I had to choose, then the Sydney handover stands out for me.

It's a tough one.

I think Sydney's *A Day in the Life of Sydney* segment would be my favourite, just because it was so grand, had an amazing soundtrack and had an iconic movement at the end with the rising sails of the Sydney Opera House.

I think following that I would have to go with

- Nagano in Lillehammer: Awesome soundtrack, didn't try too hard to give over a postcard of everything Japanese, but was simple and elegant.

- Lillehammer in Albertville: The *prosesjon* segment had a great soundtrack, and was a good 4runner to what we saw in Lillehammer. It still had the same Nordic mystical element that the Lillehammer Games turned out to have. Also had the moment with the Viking Ship formed and the torchbearer insignia was on the sail.

Honourable mentions to Torino in Salt Lake aswell.

Out of all the ones I have seen, My favourite would have to be Sydney's presentation in Atlanta, and not just because i am Austalian, its because I felt that it ended on a high note with the raising of the Iconic sails of the Opera House. But yeah, they had the whole field to play with, my second favourite would have to be Beijing's presentation in Athens. Loved the introduction video and the "Mo Li Hua" (Or "Jasmine Flower") song done by those gorgeous ladies from Beijing University... they really got me hooked on Beijing. Since then, it felt like the games couldn't come sooner. The Giant Red Lantern was also another great ending. This section of the dvd is still my favourite part of the closing ceremony. :P

I too am not really "crazy" about any of them...the time is just too confined and is just overshadowed by the rest of the ceremony of the host city, which for obvious reasons is much more grand...

If I did have to choose I like Torino's the best for WOG and Sydney's for Summer

Yeah, the time is confined. So what. Eight to ten minutes is plenty of time to get across the point of the thing...and that is to get people excited about the next Games. Do a little dance, make a little noise, and get down in 4 years. Save the long stuff for the Opening.

Among the best: Sydney, Beijing, Salt Lake, Torino - all presented their cities with a good energy.

Simple, but tasteful: Nagano, Athens, Barcelona, Seoul (last 2 not pictured) - not overly complicated and traditional.

Ho hum: Atlanta, London, Vancouver - pretty generic fare.

Best Summer: Sydney 2000

Runner up: Beijing 2008

Best Winter: Salt Lake City 2002

Runner up: Vancouver 2010

Most Creepy: Nagano 1998

Most Boring: London 2012

I honestly don't get all the criticism over ours (Vancouver's). Do we snowmobile, icefish and snow shoe? Yes we do in BC, and they are popular here in the Okanagan (Kelowna) area. Would people have rather scene a big cloud form over the stadium and dump a bunch of rain on the audience and dancers with umbrellas dancing to Singing in the Rain? Don't know why people were pointing at those things and saying it felt like if the Arctic was hosting rather than Vancouver. As for Avril, I think she was OK, but if they wanted to get someone from BC, they could've had Bryan Adams, Nelly Furtado, Diana Krall, or Delerium.

I don't get what was so creepy about Nagano's handover?

It had the snoqueen figure, some nice simple projections on the arena floor, a great soundtrack featuring a version of Nagano's prefectural song and then the chaotic traditional sounds bringing in the snow petals to form their logo.

I liked all three past winter games ones, maybe Torino in 2002 most because of the simplicity. Even though cirque du soleil was kind of a corny Quebecois twist to Vancouver it still looked nice. Avril Lavigne. Prrreeoowww! Not really, but hey, at least it wasn't cirque du soleil and Celine singing about poutine. ;)

I also like the Nagano Handover very much.

Sydneys Handover was quite funny.

Beijing was nice, i liked the intro video and the music.

Atlanta was very energetic but not my taste

London had a great intro video, nice idea but ended quite boring

Vancouver started good but ended boring

Athens, my favourite, was simple and very elegant. Perhaps a touch too long. 8-10 minutes would have been better then 15.

The Vangelis music was great but i am quite happy that he didnt involve in the 2004 OC.

Best Summer Games handover? Gotta go with Sydney to Athens. Being a history major, any chance to raise the hairs on the back of my neck is welcome and even NBC's badly clipped version got a taste of what I just saw on the 'Tube. Excellent, excellent.

Best Winter Games handover? Albertville to Lillehammer. It was just... mystical. Going to a country I knew little about and they really put an interesting foot forward. Very cool.

Best Summer Games handover? Gotta go with Sydney to Athens. Being a history major, any chance to raise the hairs on the back of my neck is welcome and even NBC's badly clipped version got a taste of what I just saw on the 'Tube. Excellent, excellent.

Best Winter Games handover? Albertville to Lillehammer. It was just... mystical. Going to a country I knew little about and they really put an interesting foot forward. Very cool.

Agree on the Lillehammer's handover, but I think Torino and Salt Lake were quite close in terms of excitement.

Athens' might've been all symbolically-correct and all that, but it was AAA-1 BORING. I was afraid the Games would go back to sleep for another 1,000 years. :lol::lol:

Agree on the Lillehammer's handover, but I think Torino and Salt Lake were quite close in terms of excitement.

Athens' might've been all symbolically-correct and all that, but it was AAA-1 BORING. I was afraid the Games would go back to sleep for another 1,000 years. :lol::lol:

Salt Lake to Torino was cool with the culture of Italy on display was cool and well put together. Nagano to SLC was very... Western, so of course, the Japanese ate it up with a spoon. I agree though, both very cool. But I gotta stick with Lillehammer because of the undiscovered country aspect.

Well, symbolic, historical = cool for me. To each his or her own.

Archived