How Can Vancouver Match Beijing's Ceremonies?

Well what did you think of the Closing Ceremonies? How do we expect to beat that show?

Don't see how we can under a Teflon canopy with the Flame heating up and stinking in the dome.

I can see Vancouver's performers dancing around wearing Gas Masks and Mist and Water stations around the Floor to cool off the performers due to the Flame's Heat.

Disappointed with CBC is the lack of mention of Vancouver 2010. It's almost as if we don't exist.

Everything is London, London, London, except WE are actually next in line, granted in the Winter season.

So how about mentioning Vancouver in the same breath as London, CBC?

Give us some credit too. We've almost finished our venues, London has barely started.

I can understand why CBC lost the future tv rights. Good riddence. This was their last swan song. They'll NEVER get them back. NEVER.

Suggest things Vancouver can do to match Beijing's performances. I believe we can make up for the inadequacies and limitations of BC Place by having tons of fireworks on the rim of and around the Stadium.

There's no limitations on how big a Fireworks show we can have. There's no reason why we can't match Beijing's intensity in terms of the brilliance of the Fireworks. We're not limited in that respect.

Shut the hell up for a change.

Do you know how much you sound like a fucking idiot with your constant rubbish about the flame and the dome? And now gas masks and mist to cool off performers? Good grief. Get a hold of reality, please.

CBC mentioned Vancouver quite a bit in the closing days of Torino 2006, that was an appropriate time to mention 2010. And I'm sure they'll mention it again in tonight's Olympic Prime broadcast.

----------------------

Anyhow, I think I have an Olympic hangover....

I absolutely loved the closing ceremony. Sure, they weren't as visually stunning as the opening ceremonies but I thought for a change that it really showcased the humanistic qualities of the ceremonies, the fact that they're a celebration of achievement.....and especially for the closing ceremonies. I loved how simple these ceremonies were, a contrast to the opening. And they usually end of in a concert format, as we have seen this morning.

The closing ceremonies are always modest and low key compared to the opening ceremonies. It may not beat the opening ceremony, but it certainly does beat previous closing ceremonies in Athens and especially Torino.

This was a great way to end one of the best Olympic Games in history.

As for the London 2012 segment, that was beautifully done. Really, really well done. I loved the rendition of God Save The Queen.

The folks that created the Vancouver 2010 segment at Torino two years ago should be ashamed....what the hell were they thinking???? Every part of our handover in Torino was terrible....even the Canadian anthem. How can you even screw up the anthem? You'd have to try hard to do that.

Rest assured, Vancouver will create a Winter Olympic Opening Ceremony to make Canada very proud, and the rest of world impressed.

You can't really compare Summer & Winter Opening and Closing Ceremonies, it's like comparing Apples with Oranges. The size and scope of the Stadiums are usually much different. Having said this, from what I hear the venue for the ceremonies in Vancouver is a huge arena, so I'm certain it will be an amazing ceremony.

CBC probably wasn't going to mention Vancouver because they aren't going to be there. And likely many at CBC Sports are a bit fearful for their careers at the moment given that this is the last Olympics the CBC will have for a number of years. And Vancouver got its mention where it was due. Torino. It is a winter celebration. The XXI Winter Games follow the XX Winter Games. They don't follow the Games of the XXIX Olympiad. Different sports, different athletes. No one on the field in Beijing was thinking "Yeah, I'm gonna train real hard for Vancouver". Well, maybe a scant few. But not Bolt, Phelps, Despatie, or the Chinese gymnastics team.

Vancouver can produce absolutely wonderful ceremonies. If you actually did some research and took a look at what David Atkins has done in the past, you'll understand that we have a very creative and visionary man in charge of ceremonies. Beijing was nice, but you know what? It wasn't didn't have a defining memorable moment, it really had little or no connection to sport, and it wasn't fun or emotional. Just a big show with a lot of bam, but not a human celebration.

And London's handover was an absolute snoozefest. I think Vancouver did better in Torino. It at least had energy and some humour (although most of you didn't get it because you're too busy navel gazing or worrying about flames to notice) where as London's was a big "so what"...some celebrities showed up on a bus. Many international audiences like Vancouver's presentation.

BC Place is a big space. It is, after all, a football field. And the dome presents opportunities that you aren't aware of because you don't work in the creative field and you're just an arm chair ceremonies director. It won't have the big fireworks shows, but the roof can be part of the ceremony. Imagine the lighting opportunities. Oh wait, you can't because you are too insistent that we fork out a billion dollars for a new stadium.

Get bent.

Edited by Kendegra
CBC probably wasn't going to mention Vancouver because they aren't going to be there. And likely many at CBC Sports are a bit fearful for their careers at the moment given that this is the last Olympics the CBC will have for a number of years. And Vancouver got its mention where it was due. Torino. It is a winter celebration. The XXI Winter Games follow the XX Winter Games. They don't follow the Games of the XXIX Olympiad. Different sports, different athletes. No one on the field in Beijing was thinking "Yeah, I'm gonna train real hard for Vancouver". Well, maybe a scant few. But not Bolt, Phelps, Despatie, or the Chinese gymnastics team.

Vancouver can produce absolutely wonderful ceremonies. If you actually did some research and took a look at what David Atkins has done in the past, you'll understand that we have a very creative and visionary man in charge of ceremonies. Beijing was nice, but you know what? It wasn't didn't have a defining memorable moment, it really had little or no connection to sport, and it wasn't fun or emotional. Just a big show with a lot of bam, but not a human celebration.

And London's handover was an absolute snoozefest. I think Vancouver did better in Torino. It at least had energy and some humour (although most of you didn't get it because you're too busy navel gazing or worrying about flames to notice) where as London's was a big "so what"...some celebrities showed up on a bus. Many international audiences like Vancouver's presentation.

BC Place is a big space. It is, after all, a football field. And the dome presents opportunities that you aren't aware of because you don't work in the creative field and you're just an arm chair ceremonies director. It won't have the big fireworks shows, but the roof can be part of the ceremony. Imagine the lighting opportunities. Oh wait, you can't because you are too insistent that we fork out a billion dollars for a new stadium.

Get bent.

Allow me to echo just about everything you said. I think that Beijing will leave Atkins and VANOC even more determined to deliver a spectacular show, and I think there's real potential for an indoor ceremony to be incredible. Just offhand, I'm thinking of some of the arena shows done by U2/Kanye West/Madonna... any of the big ticket acts. They don't have $100 million budgets, but those shows provoke more of an emotional reaction in me than Beijing's Ceremony did. And they're damn good looking too.

Thankfully Beijing has made it acceptable to have the Olympic flag billow with the use of a fan, so that's a bonus.

London's handover was weird. The video, while virtually the same as Vancouver's in Turin, was cool... the whole bit with the people getting on the bus and then the girl blocking their way... didn't get it. I did like the Leona Lewis/Jimmy Page's performance, though it was a bit stagnant. And although that song kicks 12 kinds of ass, if they're attempting to appeal to the youth, I think they could've gone for a song not some firmly linked to the 70s. Beckham's bit could've been easily fixed by having him actually play footie with the girl/other kids instead of his "just so you don't forget that David Beckham is British" appearance. For me, Vancouver and London are a wash in terms of handovers. Nothing too spectacular about either.

Have a little more faith in Atkins. Like he said, having an enclosed venue opens up more possibilities for artistic and technical experimentation.

It's not just about scale (e.g. the number of performers). It's more of having a really solid concept, and being able to execute that magnificently. And with the current trend of narrative-driven ceremonies, having a good theme can go a long way.

I just hope that Vancouver's won't be a Disney-on-Ice on steroids.

^ This is Canada, my friend. We have Cirque du Soliel, not Disney. And after 1988, we dare not do anything that might hint of steroids. :P

Speaking of 1988...my biggest fear all along for the Vancouver ceremonies is that they would repeat what Calgary did. Back in 1988, those were great ceremonies. Fun. Energetic. And just a teensy bit hokey. Ok, totally hokey. But they fit Calgary to a T. Not so much Vancouver. And not so much a 2010 affair. Another fear is that they'll turn it into a native drum-fest. Canadian culture and even Aboriginal culture has so many more interesting aspects than the dull droning drums that German tourists seem to like to like up for.

I hope the ceremonies are mature yet fun, energetic but not cheesy, inspiring but humble. And above all, meaningful and memorable. For all its might and massive budgets, Beijing couldn't touch the simple drama of Barcelona's arrow, the significance of Cathy Freeman, the elegance of Midori Ito, or the thrill of the Rocket Man. Yes, Beijing was impressive, massive, and imposing, but it was very planned and contrived with no room for emotion or an understanding of simple grace.

Edited by Kendegra