I agree about the camera angles.

I was particularly p1ssed off at the coverage of the segment featuring the collumns, imo, the best of the segments. It was beautiful, but the dvd coverage is dotted wif long shots of spectators.

There are very few shots of the ladies , few up close shots fullstop to be honest.

Indeed. Did you manage to compare with the NBC's version? I realised the later has alot more closeups compared to the CCTV one, so to even replace those relatively few closeups with views of the grandstand takes away alot of its entertainment value.

Anyway thanks to those (unwanted) views of the spectators, I now realised the number of indifferent and disinterested spectators are quite aplenty. Many, especially the invited guests, literally have scowls on their faces even in the midsts of the most spectacular fireworks. If the cameramen wish to capture the mood in the stands, they aren't exactly doing much service to the organisers! :P

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NBC DVDs on Amazon.ca (Canadian Amazon):

Beijing 2008 Complete Opening Ceremony:

http://www.amazon.ca/2008-Olympics-Beijing...8728&sr=1-2

51T%20Qc%20qnHL._SS500_.jpg

Beijing 2008 Highlights:

http://www.amazon.ca/2008-Olympics-Beijing...8924&sr=1-1

51-ETrrxcxL._SS500_.jpg

2008 Olympics: Michael Phelps - Inide Story of the Beijing Games:

http://www.amazon.ca/2008-Olympics-Michael...8924&sr=1-1

511%20R3x%20w2L._SS500_.jpg

/\ /\, E, Tried PMing you, but your inbox is full.

Anyway, unless your HKG plans have changed(?) per your posts above, am only interested in the Paralympics Ceremonies since I already have the regular Olym Ceremonies.

Which version you managed to obtain? I will be awaiting for the Paralympics DVDs too, and if they are available in Singapore at a reasonable rate instead of going all the way to HK to get them, I will let you know.

Which version you managed to obtain? I will be awaiting for the Paralympics DVDs too, and if they are available in Singapore at a reasonable rate instead of going all the way to HK to get them, I will let you know.

I just got the CCTV version (c/o Puppy) (where if you select the 'English' version --there is ABSOLUTELY NO English narration whatsoever. All it really means is 'shutting off' the Chinese narration. :blink: )

Still haven't had the time to see the Paralympics OC on Youtube.

• 3 weeks later...

My first post since my return from Beijing.

I ordered the two NBC DVD (highlights and Opening Ceremony) two weeks ago and I received them today by mail.

I watched tonight the one of highlights.

It's not the highlights of the Beijing Olympics Games, it's the highlights ot team USA at the Beijing Olympics Games.

My first post since my return from Beijing.

I ordered the two NBC DVD (highlights and Opening Ceremony) two weeks ago and I received them today by mail.

I watched tonight the one of highlights.

It's not the highlights of the Beijing Olympics Games, it's the highlights ot team USA at the Beijing Olympics Games.

Did you order those DVD's from the NBC Universal online store, or from the nbcdvd.com site?

Ahh yes, that is the same as the nbcdvd.com address. I only asked because the nbcuniversalstore website says it will not ship the DVD's outside the United States, domestic orders only, but I guess TenMayflower (the production company that produces the videos for NBC) has a different policy.

Hello there!

A newspaper in Greece offered a month ago the official dvds of IOC for Beijing, Opening & Closing ceremonies plus highlights of the Games. The ceremonies are without commentary but the parade is cut, only Greece and China appear.

Hello there!

A newspaper in Greece offered a month ago the official dvds of IOC for Beijing, Opening & Closing ceremonies plus highlights of the Games. The ceremonies are without commentary but the parade is cut, only Greece and China appear.

Yeah, that's probably the Director's Cut. Nobody but a few souls here care for those tedious Parade of the Athletes. Professional video companies don't care for that March -- and I don't blame them. Once you've seen one; you've seen them all. It's really all just an ego trip for those spoiled athletes.

• 3 weeks later...

I was strolling eBay last night and I spotted 4 additional new Beijing 2008 DVDs up for sale from Victory Media, the official rights distibutor for the IOC apparently. The first four are involving the Olympic sports (and I'm getting this from the eBay dealer's page). Disc 1 features weightlifting, cycling, judo, diving, men's individual competition, pommel horse, parallel bars, women's basketball, women's volleyball, women's soccer, acquatics, and equestrian. Disc 2 has more diving, acquatics, men's soccer, tennis, and table tennis. Disc 3 goes with men's basketball, men's volleyball, synchronized swimming, cycling, baseball, softball, pole vault, shooting, BMX, diving, and athletics. Actually I presume softball is included in the fourth disc. But nowhere glaringly is to be seen handball, water polo, sailing, weightlifting, taekwondo, modern pentathalon, women's gymnastics, and boxing. I hope the listing gets corrected about these. Nonetheless, for standard DVD it's better than what was previously offered with just the official highlight video from Athens and Sydney with all of the events seemingly crammed together. Nor does it say anything regarding bonus material.

Speaking of which there actually is a highlight DVD encompassing all of that as the fourth one. Surely as Region 6 DVDs for China, Chinese consumers (and hard-core Olympic ones worldwide) will eat it up.

But if Victory Media was really smart with this that company would release a multi-DVD set with all four of those DVDs with an additional DVD with all of the Chinese highlights and medal performances (many of them gold) having the both ceremonies acting as bookends AND release them also on Blu-Ray with a booklet. Likely it will happen if not Christmas but next year perhaps to coincide with the release of the Paralympics' own DVD set, if possible.

But we can always make our own sets to make and give to ourselves with full event coverage where possible that can rival it! :)

Also on eBay I noticed those NBC Olympic DVDs are now available also as a 4-disc set with an outer jacket (will that go Blu too?). And someone made a 5-disc set of the Beijing swimming events, each totalling an hour, with very professional DVD labelling.

No Australian, Canadian, or Kiwi Olympic DVD releases yet.

I think it would be too expensive to couple them as one big set. Not everyone is a complete Olympic nut. More people are more prone to buy the 2 or 3 sports they are interested in. So it's easier to sell small pieces rather than large box sets which MIGHT NOT move at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe so, but for collectors it could be the thing to do. Also, I have yet to spot any Chinese Olympic highlights DVD, and as we all know, there were many for the home team to revel in. Perhaps that'll come later.

Doesn't look like there will be an Aussie highlights Olympic DVD after all, based on my trip to EZYDVD's website. Perhaps one reason is there probrably not anyone who may have been willing to host the DVD highlights after Thorpedo. Could Stephanie Rice have done the honors? This isn't like Australia, where they seem to have a domestic Olympic highlights video after every summer Olympiad.

I just got my NBC Opening Ceremonies DVD and it is a PIECE OF CRAP!!! Ten Mayflower productions STINKS!!! The picture is like a VHS Dub, it's so bad, the audio is only two channel stereo that half the time sounds like Monaural. NBC's as well as the USOC logos are on the package and it's listed as an official licensed product of the USOC, and Dick Ebersol's name is on the package as executive producer. I bet if Dick Ebersol sat down and actually watched this DVD set he's be horrified. I bet he hasn't seen it. People on Amazon (where I ordered it from had been trashing the picture and audio quality and giving it low ratings, but I thought "hey, it can't be THAT bad". OH YES IT CAN!!! Plus, the music during the NBC introduction about China and the music that played under Tom Brokaw's documentary news report was re-scored, it's NOT the same music was used during the broadcast - I guess they thought no one would notice, but I did. I mean geez, how much would it have cost for them to license the music for distribution on DVD (should have been Blu-Ray)??? Even worse is that there is a PIRATE copy of NBC"s complete 4 hour broadcast on BitTorrent that is superior. It's in Hi-Def, has superior multi-channel sound and the orginal music score as broadcast on television. I know, because I have the pirate download too. I bought the DVD though so I could have the official product etc in case and all that jazz, but what a rip off!!! Glad I bought it on Amazon and didn't pay NBC's asking price but still, it's just a disgrace!

/\ Actually, the official Chinese one is no better. Someone got me one in the Philippines which was commentated by a male Aussie and a very intelligible Chinese woman w/ great English diction, as his history guide and partner. I don't know if that's the whatever-the-EBU-equivalent version was for Asia, but it was a lot better. Yeah, taping the NBC broadcast was the best, money-wise.