Dvds Of Beijing 2008

hektor

/\ Actually, the official Chinese one is no better. Someone got me one in the Philippines which was commentated by a male Aussie and a very intelligible Chinese woman w/ great English diction, as his history guide and partner. I don't know if that's the whatever-the-EBU-equivalent version was for Asia, but it was a lot better. Yeah, taping the NBC broadcast was the best, money-wise.

Well the sad thing is that is that NBC's coverage of the ceremony was the best, regardless of the fact that they didn't show the Peking Opera segment (which I saw, and it's boring, I understand why they cut it) or the athletes and officials oaths. I've seen Hong Kong's coverage, Canada's coverage, and Australia's coverage, and NBC's commentary, esp by Joshua Cooper Ramo as the China expert was the best, and not only that, but NBC's production had superior production values. Have you seen the Australian channel 7 coverage? What total crap. The direction is horrible, the audio is interrupted by production techies cutting in on their radios during the "Dream Rings' sequence going "If you've got it" and "The box is back" among other things, and there is some truly HORRIBLE camera work during the painting/scroll sequence. I think I read that NBC puts some of it's own camera crew on the ground to shoot video so they have a choice between BOB shots as well as their own. It wouldn't surprise me, because NBC pays so much money to be there that they get perks other broadcasters do not. Plus, overall, NBC's Olympic broadcasts always have superior production values to other broadcasters. TV and Film production is one of the things America does best.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the Parade of Nations on You Tube with the CCTV commentary installed. I hated the fact of all of those cutaway shots. It's one thing to see the VIP dignitaries like observing and waving at their athletes like Prince Albert of Monaco, Algerian President Abdulaziz Boutaflika, WADA bigwig Dick Pound, and Australian PM Kevin Rudd, but it's another to do too much with the spectators when more shots of the action going on at the stadium was needed.

Yes, NBC employed a lot of its own array of cameras at the Bird's Nest positioned at many points along what was already there by BOB and a few others from other nations' broadcasters where applicable (I forgot exactly how many NBC employed all over the Games right now). Also, I think when NBC's rights to the Beijing Games expires in less than a year, all the US rights footage will go towards the USOC more full time, I believe. So there's your reference about the USOC's connections on the DVD, OG. Oh, did you see the BBC/RTE/Eurosport/Supersport versions to the Opening Ceremonies yet?

I'm still looking for info relating to the British 5-DVD release of the Beijing Olympics released by Fremantle Home Entertainment. I suspect there's more of a British slant than the CCTV version on Victory Media's with both ceremonies in each its own DVD (with BBC commentary) in the set dealing with British success in Beijing. No Blu-Ray plans, as far as I know? It should there be.

I watched the Parade of Nations on You Tube with the CCTV commentary installed. I hated the fact of all of those cutaway shots. It's one thing to see the VIP dignitaries like observing and waving at their athletes like Prince Albert of Monaco, Algerian President Abdulaziz Boutaflika, WADA bigwig Dick Pound, and Australian PM Kevin Rudd, but it's another to do too much with the spectators when more shots of the action going on at the stadium was needed.

Yes, NBC employed a lot of its own array of cameras at the Bird's Nest positioned at many points along what was already there by BOB and a few others from other nations' broadcasters where applicable (I forgot exactly how many NBC employed all over the Games right now). Also, I think when NBC's rights to the Beijing Games expires in less than a year, all the US rights footage will go towards the USOC more full time, I believe. So there's your reference about the USOC's connections on the DVD, OG. Oh, did you see the BBC/RTE/Eurosport/Supersport versions to the Opening Ceremonies yet?

I'm still looking for info relating to the British 5-DVD release of the Beijing Olympics released by Fremantle Home Entertainment. I suspect there's more of a British slant than the CCTV version on Victory Media's with both ceremonies in each its own DVD (with BBC commentary) in the set dealing with British success in Beijing. No Blu-Ray plans, as far as I know? It should there be.

I have not seen the coverage from the BBC or any European countries. I really wish though, that NBC would release their coverage on Blu-Ray with all originally broadcast music in tact. Oh, and also the DVD version cuts off - it doesn't go all the way to the true end of the broadcast that you saw on television. If NBC's rights expire in less than a year, I doubt there is any hope of a complete Blu-Ray release.. Glad I have the pirate download.

Nah. It's not like a hot movie where NBC will make a mini-mint. Interest in past Olympic footage resides mostly (probably) in less than 500 Olympic-nuts all over the world, and primarily for archival purposes. So investing in a Blu-Ray version will just not be cost-efficient. I betcha even the monitors at IOC headquarters in Lausanne are NOT even Blu-Ray.

Maybe come 2012 or 2016 would a commercial Blue-Ray version be available -- but at which time ANOTHER even more amazing technology would make its debut. :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Nah. It's not like a hot movie where NBC will make a mini-mint. Interest in past Olympic footage resides mostly (probably) in less than 500 Olympic-nuts all over the world, and primarily for archival purposes. So investing in a Blu-Ray version will just not be cost-efficient. Maybe come 2012 or 2016 would a commercial Blue-Ray version be available -- but at which time ANOTHER even more amazing technology would make its debut. :lol:

Well, a friend of mines take on this (who is not an Olympic enthusiast, but does video production professionally) was that NBC was getting it's feet wet with the release to gauge demand. Beijing was the first games shot entirely in widescreen HD. I think it was the first games with events streamed live online? And ceremonies and highlights are now available for download from iTunes (including the closing ceremony which is not available on DVD that I know). So clearly, I think we will see more of this in the future. What makes you think a Blu-Ray (or at least an HD commercial release in any form) version of Beijings OC would be released in 4-8 years?

Nah. It's not like a hot movie where NBC will make a mini-mint. Interest in past Olympic footage resides mostly (probably) in less than 500 Olympic-nuts all over the world, and primarily for archival purposes. So investing in a Blu-Ray version will just not be cost-efficient. I betcha even the monitors at IOC headquarters in Lausanne are NOT even Blu-Ray.

Maybe come 2012 or 2016 would a commercial Blue-Ray version be available -- but at which time ANOTHER even more amazing technology would make its debut. :lol:

I agree with you there Baron, it's not like these things are hot sellers. At best, the Olympic releases are a marginal, special interest category _ olittle commercial incentive to go all out with Blu-Ray etc. Just like the video games. despite the wishes of many members here for Bigger-Than-Ben-Hur olympic titles, these things have a limited shelf life. I['m sure we'll be seeing the official Beijing DVDs and video games start to appear in the quick clearance bargain bins after Xmas (if they're not there already).

Well, a friend of mines take on this (who is not an Olympic enthusiast, but does video production professionally) was that NBC was getting it's feet wet with the release to gauge demand. Beijing was the first games shot entirely in widescreen HD. I think it was the first games with events streamed live online? And ceremonies and highlights are now available for download from iTunes (including the closing ceremony which is not available on DVD that I know). So clearly, I think we will see more of this in the future. What makes you think a Blu-Ray (or at least an HD commercial release in any form) version of Beijings OC would be released in 4-8 years?

Actually it was in Torino two years ago that the men's gold medal ice hockey match between eventual winners Sweden and Finland that NBC had live online.

I don't think it'll take that long for a Blu-ray release. That said, it would be nice if the domestic home video rights holders to the Beijing Olympics took advantage of the burgeoning Blu-Ray rise in time for the holidays. Perhaps the economy cooled down the interest for now. Maybe they're taking their time with it. Say, we flash forward to London 2012, it may happen as part of a slew of Olympic stuff on Blu-Ray.

I also must admit as Americans the home audience for the Olympics may be smaller than hoped for with everything fragmented in our interests (though some sports are mass appealing than others), as Baron and Sir Roltel suggests. Must point out though, sports title are only now gaining inroads on the Blu.

I just saw today the Beijing 2008 DVD release of both ceremonies in 3 discs (two of the Opening Ceremony and one for the Closing) catering to the US and Canada market with NTSC video on eBay. Nothing about Canada's DVD Olympic plans yet.

Finally got some info of the British release of the 5-DVD Beijing set from Fremantle: Think of it like the general Athens 2004 DVD release with 2 DVDs for the Opening. The other discs are the Closing, the general highlights, and a disc pertaining to the British Olympics highlights for its much-better than expected showing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Won't be much of interest to anyone except for fans of the sport and hard-core Olympic fans. But the Sport House has released a series of equestrian DVDs of the Beijing Olympics that actually of course took place in Hong Kong. Curiously, why do the equestrian sports get more DVD love in recent years than for many of the other Olympic sports that see in retail online? For me, why get them, when if you're in the US at least, can watch them and record (or burn onto your DVDs) them on demand online?

Sport House Beijing/Hong Kong 2008 Olympic Equestrian DVDs

I also know there has been a Korean dvd release of the archery events. Random.

To be honest, I love watching archery. Its actually one of the most nerve-wracking sports out there, and matches tend to be very, very close.

Shame there is no Canadian DVD set like there was for Turino. And its also too bad that there dosen't seam to be any BD releases anywhere.

There tends to be a gymnastics dvd release as well - I havent seen one yet. Isnt there a Michael Phelps specific swimming dvd out as well? All his gold medal swims?? I also know there has been a Korean dvd release of the archery events. Random.

Yes, there is a Michael Phelps DVD. You may also download all of his gold medal swims from the U.S. iTunes store.

To be honest, I love watching archery. Its actually one of the most nerve-wracking sports out there, and matches tend to be very, very close.

Shame there is no Canadian DVD set like there was for Turino. And its also too bad that there dosen't seam to be any BD releases anywhere.

What? CBC is not selling a DVD set about anything Beijing 2008?? :o I was told otherwise, but I didn't have time to really check the CBC on-line store for it. I know that CCTV or whatever Chinese broadcaster has already got the whole opening ceremony (at least) on DVD.