Perth 2018

Aronious

Perth, Western Australia has annouced it will bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games following a feasability study to be completed in late 2008. Some of the already planned venues by 2018.

STADIUM WESTERN AUSTRALIA: Main Stadium (60,000-70,000)

stadium1fulldn6.jpg

PERTH ARENA: Indoor Sports (14,000)

project792op1.jpg

MEMBERS EQUITY STADIUM: Rugby (25,000)

perthlg9.jpg

CHALLENGE STADIUM: Aquatics (10,000) and Indoor Sports (4,500)

challenge2jm3.jpg

AK RESERVE INDOOR STADIUM: Indoor Sports (2,000)

plbbsvg9.jpg

SCARBOROUGH: Triathlon

25408879453705870dd5ym0.jpg

CHAMPION LAKES: Rowing

7429bs0.jpg

PERTH CONVENTION EXHIBITION CENTRE: Indoor Sports (3,000 seat auditorium + 16,000sqr meters of space)

imagegenaspxug5.jpg

PERTH HOCKEY STADIUM: Hockey (6,000)

perthhockeypc9.jpg

KINGS PARK: Walks, Cycling

542500087cd65d98e46dt6.jpg

There is also a 14000 seat indoor stadium that is like a mini BC place with an air supported roof?

So whats the general word with Perth and these other Australia places expressing interest ? I see Perry Crosswhite has said that they are going to decide if any Australian Bid is forwarded at all. He generally said that every 15 to 20 years is about the length of time Australia hosts the Games.

I am also reading via comments to news articles that many people feel Gold Coast, Adelaide and Perth are basically political posturing with an upcoming election in Australia.

Jim jones

There is also a 14000 seat indoor stadium that is like a mini BC place with an air supported roof?

So whats the general word with Perth and these other Australia places expressing interest ? I see Perry Crosswhite has said that they are going to decide if any Australian Bid is forwarded at all. He generally said that every 15 to 20 years is about the length of time Australia hosts the Games.

I am also reading via comments to news articles that many people feel Gold Coast, Adelaide and Perth are basically political posturing with an upcoming election in Australia.

Jim jones

Is currently defunct and likely to be torn down in the next 5 years. The Perth Arena is replacing it.

Not sure about GC and Adelaide but Perth's bid is certainly politically driven. Cashing in on Beijing for certain.

IMO Adelaide or GC will be selected as Australia's bid to give them reason to start work on upgrading their major stadium, not only in preperation for the CWG's but more importantly, a FWC.

It would be hard to sell a 40,000 seat venue on the GC. Pair it will a FWC and it isntaly becomes more attractive to both the CWG's Associations and FIFA.

Adelaide has no chance its run by old stiffs who wont even comit to a new AFL stadium so no chance of getting new venues for a Com Games

Ironically when you search for Commonwealth Games Groups on Facebook the Largest membership has nothing to do with the commonwealth Games but the calling for the replacement stadium in Adelaide. The next largest group is Abuja 2018 at over 740 members. glasgow 2014 is 442.

The Adelaide stadium Group is at 1900 or so members. Ironically the largest sports facebook group is the one for bringing the World cup to Australia at over 70000 members as a matter of comparsion the largest olympic facebook group is chicago 2016 at 3600 members.

Jim jones

Is currently defunct and likely to be torn down in the next 5 years. The Perth Arena is replacing it.

Not sure about GC and Adelaide but Perth's bid is certainly politically driven. Cashing in on Beijing for certain.

IMO Adelaide or GC will be selected as Australia's bid to give them reason to start work on upgrading their major stadium, not only in preperation for the CWG's but more importantly, a FWC.

It would be hard to sell a 40,000 seat venue on the GC. Pair it will a FWC and it isntaly becomes more attractive to both the CWG's Associations and FIFA.

but is not the problem also building an indoor velodrome and the matrix of other venues that might not get use post games ? A stadium for Aussie rules football certainly has the room for a temporary Athletics Surface to be put on the ground and then converted for Cricket and Aussie rules like MCG was for 2006.

I think perry crosswhite is right in saying about the cycle of hosting and that a general thought of a 2018 could be extended to something a bit more reasoned then a return to australia a mere 12 years later. Perth i think would certainly be a great city from many standpoints but would a repeat host be possible or as with the 2000 olympic bid do Australia sports admins see that having a different candidate works better then a prior one for the most part. Melbourne Ironically Took two tries to Land the Commonwealth Games and this was after the hosted the Olympics in 1956. To Think Christchurch bet Melbourne for the 1974 games with a 36 to 2 vote. ONe would think Gold Coast as it is a totally new candidate. Adelaide was defeated by Kuala Lumapr for 1998.

jim jones

The current plans for Stadium WA don't allow it to accommodate athletics but this could change with a bid. Looking forward to it.

there are no current plans. Just an indicative render, steering team and a slice of next years budget.

but is not the problem also building an indoor velodrome and the matrix of other venues that might not get use post games ? A stadium for Aussie rules football certainly has the room for a temporary Athletics Surface to be put on the ground and then converted for Cricket and Aussie rules like MCG was for 2006.

I think perry crosswhite is right in saying about the cycle of hosting and that a general thought of a 2018 could be extended to something a bit more reasoned then a return to australia a mere 12 years later. Perth i think would certainly be a great city from many standpoints but would a repeat host be possible or as with the 2000 olympic bid do Australia sports admins see that having a different candidate works better then a prior one for the most part. Melbourne Ironically Took two tries to Land the Commonwealth Games and this was after the hosted the Olympics in 1956. To Think Christchurch bet Melbourne for the 1974 games with a 36 to 2 vote. ONe would think Gold Coast as it is a totally new candidate. Adelaide was defeated by Kuala Lumapr for 1998.

jim jones

I would think the only new venue to be built would be a velodrome. Replacing the current, yet old and dated, SpeedDome.

I doubt any other new venues would be required. Maybe an upgrade to the State Shooting Centre should the sport be selected.

Wheres your source on the 1972 vote. As far as i know there was no vote back then. They just selected on merit.

I dont think Perth will host 2018. The GC is Australia's best chance, but even that, for now, seems slim.

I would think the only new venue to be built would be a velodrome. Replacing the current, yet old and dated, SpeedDome.

I doubt any other new venues would be required. Maybe an upgrade to the State Shooting Centre should the sport be selected.

Wheres your source on the 1972 vote. As far as i know there was no vote back then. They just selected on merit.

I dont think Perth will host 2018. The GC is Australia's best chance, but even that, for now, seems slim.

My source for the vote is Cleve Dhenshaw's Book History of the Commonwealth Games 1930 to 1990. I have communicated with Cleve himself on the balloting for the games . Other votes he didn't publish . Commonwealth Games info is of course hard to resource. There is a commonwealth games studies institute at one of the universities around the London Ontario area.

The votes for the commonwealth games used to be carried out at the Summer Olympics 6 years prior to the games. At Montreal 1976 the vote for 1982 was held with Birmingham,Lagos and Kuala Lumpar being defeated by Brisbane. Yeah Lagos could have the best bid in the world but that was blown as Nigeria was boycotting the 1976 olympics with other African Nations. Honorary IOC member from Nigeria Henry Edmund Olufemi

ADEFOPE was actually vice president of the commonwealth games federation at that time.

Edmonton defeated Leeds England for the 1978 games 36 to 10 the vote was held at Munich 1972. The vote for 1994 was Victoria 31, New Delhi 19 Cardiff 7 .

how embarrassing for Cardiff LOL. A third world city places you third in the vote with twice as many votes. Christchurch lost to Edinburgh 18 to 11 for the 1970 games. Moscow 1980 had the Session that basically rubber stamped Edinburgh 1986 unopposed. New Delhi lost against Auckland for the 1990 games.

I think there will be a huge amount of Bandwagon Politics in the wake of Beijing 2008. Nigeria included as the Chairman of the ruling party announced again that Abuja was bidding. He made the announcement in Beijing actually citing the olympics for an example how sport festivals can change the perception of a nation by the rest of the world.

You mean in regards to new Venues the Main Stadium and the Velodrome as you had said about a new stadium being build or planned anyways ? Perry Lakes is pretty old and does not have the Required land for warm up tracks and throwing areas from what I read in an article in the local press.

Jim Jones

You mean in regards to new Venues the Main Stadium and the Velodrome as you had said about a new stadium being build or planned anyways ? Perry Lakes is pretty old and does not have the Required land for warm up tracks and throwing areas from what I read in an article in the local press.

Stadium WA is still in planning. Should Perth's bid go ahead it will be built with athletics capacities and be the main stadium with a capacity around 60,000.

Well there IS sufficient land around Perry Lakes. Infact they're are building the 10,000 athletics stadium pictured above, across the road from it. There is abundant land in the Mt Claremont area for a new athletics stadium.

Perry Lakes is currently being demolished, soon to be replaced by a new housing development.

:rolleyes: How lucky it is for Australia to have two very fine coastal resort like cities vying for the rights to be host city. Perth has the upper hand as it is closer to the all important Television date line, serving Asia/Europe at a reasonable hour and the main eastcoast audience afternoon prime time viewing of prime events.

Also Perth is resource wealthy, and apart from planning ahead with sports venues, is about to expand and centralise it's reasonably modern airport. Essential to it's isolation from the east. I think Perth as got it made...

Apart from Gold Coast (a scattered metropolis of beachfront resorts) and Abuja, there are no other contenders out there. Especially from that archipelago to the east, New Zealand.

:rolleyes: How lucky it is for Australia to have two very fine coastal resort like cities vying for the rights to be host city. Perth has the upper hand as it is closer to the all important Television date line, serving Asia/Europe at a reasonable hour and the main eastcoast audience afternoon prime time viewing of prime events.

Also Perth is resource wealthy, and apart from planning ahead with sports venues, is about to expand and centralise it's reasonably modern airport. Essential to it's isolation from the east. I think Perth as got it made...

Apart from Gold Coast (a scattered metropolis of beachfront resorts) and Abuja, there are no other contenders out there. Especially from that archipelago to the east, New Zealand.

Eh? Auckland, Cape Town and Toronto are all in with possible bids. Add London, KL and Sydney and you basically have all the most important cities in the Commonwealth. Perth's and GC's chances are small.

I doubt Perth will bid if the Liberals get into power at the next election set for September 6th 2008.

• 2 weeks later...
Eh? Auckland, Cape Town and Toronto are all in with possible bids. Add London, KL and Sydney and you basically have all the most important cities in the Commonwealth. Perth's and GC's chances are small.

I doubt Perth will bid if the Liberals get into power at the next election set for September 6th 2008.

Canada is out . very simply the Feds are nt interested and are supporting a Pan Am Games bid for 2015 . The new hosting policy for 2008 to 2018 is two multi spots festivals in that ten year period and Vancouver 2010 is one of the two .

I Can't see London to be Honest. They were an Emergency package for the British Empire Games in 1934 and have never actually bid on the games.

Sydney 1938 and they have not bid since allowing other smaller places in Australia. Auckland was exploring on the heals of the New Zealand Government Rejecting bidding on 2014 because of a Report issued by Sir Ron Scott the CEO of Christchurch 1974. KL been there done that have bid on the olympics and the youth Olympics without success.

We heard from Durban for 2014 but nothing has materialised since. A committee should be in place of news of one.

Capetown and south africa have never actually bid on the commonwealth games but they did for the 2004 olympics. south africa used to host formula one , and is about to host WC 2010 and they hosted many rugby internationals . Why would they go down the ladder?

Jim jones

Canada is out . very simply the Feds are nt interested and are supporting a Pan Am Games bid for 2015 . The new hosting policy for 2008 to 2018 is two multi spots festivals in that ten year period and Vancouver 2010 is one of the two .

I Can't see London to be Honest. They were an Emergency package for the British Empire Games in 1934 and have never actually bid on the games.

Sydney 1938 and they have not bid since allowing other smaller places in Australia. Auckland was exploring on the heals of the New Zealand Government Rejecting bidding on 2014 because of a Report issued by Sir Ron Scott the CEO of Christchurch 1974. KL been there done that have bid on the olympics and the youth Olympics without success.

We heard from Durban for 2014 but nothing has materialised since. A committee should be in place of news of one.

Capetown and south africa have never actually bid on the commonwealth games but they did for the 2004 olympics. south africa used to host formula one , and is about to host WC 2010 and they hosted many rugby internationals . Why would they go down the ladder?

Jim jones

I wasn't actually refering to London, Sydney and KL bidding i was simply stating the cities likely to bid (Toronto, Cape Town, Auckland) are among the most important in the commonwealth. Right up there with the Sydney's and London's of the organisation.

I dont think Cape Town hosting the Commonwealths would be a step down the ladder in the quest to host the Olympics. The Commonwealths could prove as vital to Cape Towns Olympic chances as the Asian Games were to Doha or Pan Ams to Rio. Could you really see Doha scoring such a high score in the evaluation without the Asian Games? Likewise, would Rio have made the shortlist without the Pan Ams. Most probably not.

:( Aronious...Auckland, no chance!

As mentioned elsewhere, the city is focussing on urgent infrastructure projects for the next ten years...I believe 2022 looks better.

I think Perth would make a great host anyway...Would make an awesome Olympic host in the not too distant future! ;)

• 3 years later...
The City of light and the Commonwealth Games

perth.png

With the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting almost upon us, a new exhibition is taking us back to an earlier time when the Commonwealth gathered in Perth. It was 1962 and Perth was the host city for the British Empire and Commonwealth Games. The Perth Town Hall is hosting this free public exhibition which focuses on the social and cultural impacts of the Commonwealth Games. Through memorabilia, recorded interviews and photographs, the exhibition looks back at the people in Perth who helped create history for our city, from the ladies who staffed the athletes' laundry, to the Perth Vespa Club right through to the athletes that came for the Games and then stayed for love.

ABC

City of Light? First time I ever saw Perth try to steal that tag from Paris!!!!

Archived