Olympic Stadium

anno

LA Coliseum is not tacky, it has it's charm, built for a purpose, to host the 1932 Olympics, upgraded to a respectable manner for the 1984 Olympics. The proposed "upgrades" for the 2016 bid, now that was tacky. The stadium, in spite of it's historical significance, needs to be replaced.

I agree with you on the 2016 "upgrade" proposals. It was tacky.

But tear it down? NEVER!!!! At a minimum the peristyle stays.

If any Olympic stadium were to be tagged as tacky, I'd have to say Beijing leads the list. Yeah, it is a unique design, but perhaps it has too much design. Montreal's also fits into that category, but I've always been a fan. If Canadians hate it, that likely has a lot to do with the fact that it was a financial and construction mess and the complicated roof never functioned as designed.

The triumph of Munich was in its light and transparent design, a complete contrast to what Berlin presented.

Once again, Seoul gets no discussion. Not that the stadium is anything special - a Korean Parc des Princes - but it just always seems that Seoul is the least discussed games on this forum.

^^^^

Cosign.

Bejing is the "it" stadium right now, much as Montreal was in the '70's. It is not going to age well either Which is silly when you think about it. Montreal's was totally new all around as is Bejing. Architecture we never saw before.

Munich is the same as Athens - they rolled in some fancy roofing system over a bowl. Take away the roof and it is nothing special outside of the fact that Munich rebuild a WW II era dump for theirs.

I like it - I just don't get a hardon about it.

And I am so over arches over a stadium. We already have one in St. Louis.

A good point about Seoul. It is much like Atlanta in that it is a plain, utilitarian stadium. But it works.

Seoul were great games. It just had the misfortune of being caught between Los Angeles and Barcelona.

^ So which ones do you like?

Ah, I said earlier that Beijing was my favorite and that the Birds Nest and Water Cube were the best olympic venues ever. ;)

However, as far as spectacular settings go, the Barcelona games with it's Olympic Stadium as well as swimming and diving up on top of Montjuic is still the winner in that respect.

I agree with you on the 2016 "upgrade" proposals. It was tacky.

But tear it down? NEVER!!!! At a minimum the peristyle stays.

Do it a la NFL style upgrade (The proposal that keeps that grand gate), with possibility of adding a temporary platform, or removing seating sections for an athletics track, should LA host another Olympics.

The thing with Athens is that the bowl is ugly and the roof does not flow well with it. Whereas Munich's was designed as one complete building and flows and fits well. I remember seeing pictures of it full and the amount of natural light on the fans was amazing and was really well designed and designed to withstand the test of time.

Whereas Munich's was designed as one complete building and flows and fits well. I remember seeing pictures of it full and the amount of natural light on the fans was amazing and was really well designed and designed to withstand the test of time.

I also like how the stadium's design fit in the entire Olympic park. The complex looks spectacular even to this day.

The thing with Athens is that the bowl is ugly and the roof does not flow well with it.

It's always been a Jekyl and Hyde stadium for me. From the inside the roof is magnificent and fits in really well with the stadium. From the outside it's fairly obvious it's an ugly old bird wearing a a posh dress.

Stadium Australia draws crowds of 20,000 or more only 2-3 times max a year? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but surely more peeps turn up to AFL, NRL and Soccer matches held there. It's not an eyesore, it's a symmetrical stadium with a purpose, now if you want a horrendous stadium, why not look towards Queensland Sports and Athletics Stadium, or the stadium to replace it, should Brisbane bid for a future Olympics. :P

LA Coliseum is not tacky, it has it's charm, built for a purpose, to host the 1932 Olympics, upgraded to a respectable manner for the 1984 Olympics. The proposed "upgrades" for the 2016 bid, now that was tacky. The stadium, in spite of it's historical significance, needs to be replaced.

Hi all. And thanky for the welcome. :)

Dave this is SYDNEY we're talking about. Nobody actually bothers GOING to an NRL match in Sydney. Too many teams, too few supporters.

The Bulldogs used Stadium Australia as their homeground for a time before bailling to the smaller sized Sydney Showground because they couldn't justify playing in an empty 80,000 seater!! The only reason they're back at Stadium Australia is because of the complaints that the Showground was a terrible venue for Rugby League (surprise). It currently has no permanent AFL team, but given as I'd forgotten about the occasional AFL occupation of the site let's be generous and double our figure -- about 6 or 7 times a year. Still not overly convincing.

And yeah QE2 stadium in Brisbane is craptacular and it always has been. It's worse for viewing Rugby League than Stadium Australia is, and that's saying something. Lang Park on the other hand is surely Australia's Greatest Rectanguar stadium! No doubt will be a fine Olympic Soccer host when Australia next hold the games :) (assuming it is sometime in the next 50 years).

On a more positive note -- I always had a thing for NYC2012's original stadium plans. That would have been great, not that they were ever in any danger of actually happening! :lol:

Stadium Australia is horrendous! An absolute eyesore! And whilst it is "heavily used", it draws crowds of 20,000 or more only 2 or 3 times MAX a year.

What a load of crap

You obviously have no idea on attendances at Stadium Australia and destroys anything in Bananaland that may even resemble an Olympic Stadium...Qld athletics centre!..now...thats horrendous

Top 10 attendances at ANZ stadium in the last 12 months

www.anzstadium.com.au

Oct 30 2007 Melbourne 34 Sea Eagles 8: Attendance: 81,392

Nov 27 2007 FC 5 Galaxy 3 Attendance: 80,295

Jul 26 2008 Wallabies 34 New Zealand 19 Attendance: 78,944

Jul 2 2008 QLD 16 NSW 10 Attendance: 78,751

Jun 22 2008 China 1 Australia 0 Attendance: 70,054

May 21 2008 NSW 18 QLD 10 Attendance: 67,620

Jul 5 2008 Collingwood 11/13/79 Swans 6/14/50 Attendance: 59,202

Jun 28 2008 Qantas Wallabies 34 France 13 Attendance: 48,899

Aug 16 2008 Geelong 20. 13. 133 Swans 14. 10. 94 Attendance: 44,995

Apr 12 2008 Sydney 16.11 (107) West Coast 5.15 (45) Attendance: 44,235

. Lang Park on the other hand is surely Australia's Greatest Rectanguar stadium!

Congratulations to Lang Park...but its not and will never be an Olympic Stadium.....which is what this topic is all about...

Maybe you should create a new thread on "Greatest Rugby League Stadiums"

Anyway....my lis on the top Olympic Stadiums

In no order

LA Coliseum,Los Angeles

Stadium Australia,Sydney

Olympic Stadium,Beijing

Olympic Stadium,Berlin(I actually prefer it without the roof)

Olympic Stadium,Munich

My top five are:

1)Beijing's bird nest (All-around stunning)

2)Athens Olympic stadium (Nice renovation of the old)

3)Munich Olympic stadium (Roof was ahead of it's time)

4)Montreal Olympic stadium (Don't know why, just like it)

5)Sydney Telstra stadium (Would've been better without the pointy 'wing' stands)

Atlanta's was a violation to the Olympic movement lol! That stadium had baseball field written all over it from the beginning hence the ugly awkward shape.

Atlanta's was a violation to the Olympic movement lol! That stadium had baseball field written all over it from the beginning hence the ugly awkward shape.

Yes, I dislike Atlanta's stadium as well, and this is the exact reason why. New York proposed the exact same type of thing in it's hastily revised bid for 2012 after the funding for the west side stadium fell through. That proposed stadium is in fact being built, for baseball, as Citifield, for the NY Mets, replacing Shea Stadium.

The city of Berlin was designated by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to host the 1916 Summer Olympics. Germany's proposed stadium for this event was to be located in Charlottenburg, in the Grunewald Forest, to the west of Berlin -- thus the stadium was also known as Grunewaldstadion. A horse racing-course already existed there which belonged to the Berliner Rennverein, and even today the old ticket booths survive on Jesse-Owens-Allee. The government of Germany decided not to build on the nearby Grunewald forest, or to renovate buildings that already existed. Because of this desire, they hired the same architect who originally had built the "Rennverein", Otto March.

-------------------------

valrossie

buzz marketing

It may not have been pretty, but its conversion to a baseball field renders heavily used compared to other Olympic Stadiums. There just isn't a need for a high capacity track stadium beyond the Olympics.

PS: I loved how Sydney's stadium conversion went.

Congratulations to Lang Park...but its not and will never be an Olympic Stadium.....which is what this topic is all about...

Maybe you should create a new thread on "Greatest Rugby League Stadiums"

Anyway....my lis on the top Olympic Stadiums

In no order

LA Coliseum,Los Angeles

Stadium Australia,Sydney

Olympic Stadium,Beijing

Olympic Stadium,Berlin(I actually prefer it without the roof)

Olympic Stadium,Munich

Haha I seem to have really hit a nerve. Chillax, man.

It may not have been pretty, but its conversion to a baseball field renders heavily used compared to other Olympic Stadiums. There just isn't a need for a high capacity track stadium beyond the Olympics.

PS: I loved how Sydney's stadium conversion went.

True, but Atlanta could have easily have built a temporary more conventional style stadium, fitting with the 100th anniversary by making it in the Greek classical architectural style, with the modern facilities. The stadium would be torn down completely post games, and Turner Field built in it's place using the profits gained from the games. May seem a waste of construction, but if it were partially temporary, sections of the stands could have been taken down and erected somewhere else in the city or the state to make say, a 20,000 or so seater College/University athletics stadium.

must say that my top 2 stadiums are, in terms of the bowl, pretty dam boring and awfull - but the winner for them is that they have an iconic piece to the structure that for some reason in my mind- reeks Olympics.

1: Barcelona Olympic Stadium: I loved that gate they had at the end of the stadium, looked awesome, very classical.

2: LA Olympic Stadium: The LA peristyles structure just looks so grand

3: Munich Olympic Stadium

4: Sydney Olympic Stadium

5: Berlin Olympic Stadium

And whilst not a Summer olympics arena - the sakura flower inspired minami Nagano Sports park was awesome. Does anyone have any current pics of that? Did they ever continue to the petals around the entire bowl after those 3 temporary stands were removed post Olympics?

Archived