Olympic Stadium

anno

Which Olympic Stadium do you like best? Which Stadium has the best design.

1) Munich: Olympiastadion München

2) Beijing: Birds nest

3) Los Angeles: Colisseum

4) Sydney: Stadium Australia

5) Barcelona: Estadi Olympic de Montjuic

The Atlanta Olympic Stadium is not worth to be called Olympic Stadium. I didn´t like it.

1. Beijing's Bird's Nest - I wasn't its big fan, but for the last two weeks, I've really warmed up to it - especially its interior:

27811958614b56e49898pb9.jpg

The rest would go:

2. Athens Olympic Stadium

3. Sydney's Stadium Australia

4. Munich's Olympiastadion München

5. I dunno... Mexico City's Olympic Stadium/Berlin Olympic Stadium/Barcelona's Estadi Olympic de Montjuic...?

• 4 weeks later...
Which Olympic Stadium do you like best? Which Stadium has the best design.

1) Munich: Olympiastadion München

2) Beijing: Birds nest

3) Los Angeles: Colisseum

4) Sydney: Stadium Australia

5) Barcelona: Estadi Olympic de Montjuic

The Atlanta Olympic Stadium is not worth to be called Olympic Stadium. I didn´t like it.

Oh Atlanta's. The most used stadium and not a big 'ole white elephant?

I do agree however. It doesn't say "Olympic Stadium" But I will take your challenge:

The stadiums that screams Olympics:

(1) Los Angeles (o.k. twice - need I say more) And the cauldron is still where it was in '32 and '84. And the only stadium outside of possibly Berlin to have the torch dictate the architecture

(2) Montreal - Still called Olympic Stadium. And who among this board doesn't get a hard on thinking about a flame burning on that tower?

(3) Helsinki - I love that stadium. So simple - and then there is that beautiful tower.

(4) Berlin and Munich - such a contrast.

(5) Francis Field in St. Louis. Because we didn't tear down our Olympic legacies. B)

Honorable Mention - Well, if Wembley and/or MCG was still around then would place it here. As it is Mexico City goes here.

Stadium Australia is still heavy used, so I wouldn't call it a white elephant. The Centennial Olympic Stadium was very practical and only cost 207 million dollars (170 of it privately funded).

Beijing's stadium is good, as is Sydney's, I really like Sydney's actually. Munich's is obviously one of the best, as is Berlin's. I don't get the orgy over Montreal, its old, ugly and didn't survive the test of time. It needs to be demolished and replaced with a more suitable stadium for the city of Montreal.

Stadium Australia is horrendous! An absolute eyesore! And whilst it is "heavily used", it draws crowds of 20,000 or more only 2 or 3 times MAX a year.

And I'm not feeling the love over the LA Coliseum either. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Hate to be all negative nancy, but I'm really not sure which one to give "praise" to? I guess the Bird's Nest has it pretty much sewn up on that one?

Stadium Australia is horrendous! An absolute eyesore! And whilst it is "heavily used", it draws crowds of 20,000 or more only 2 or 3 times MAX a year.

Hate to be all negative nancy, but I'm really not sure which one to give "praise" to? I guess the Bird's Nest has it pretty much sewn up on that one?

Why is the L.A. Coliseum tacky? It's a classic old stadium built in the early 1920's. It's very old, but tacky?

Why is the L.A. Coliseum tacky? It's a classic old stadium built in the early 1920's. It's very old, but tacky?

It's fine. Some people have taste.

And then there is Brisbane 2024. ;)

j/k - Welcome to the boards Brisbane. B)

Faster - I just don't get you and some of your fellow Canadians. Olympic Stadium, IMHO, is as much an architectural masterpiece as the Sydney Opera House. Do you feel this way just because of the cost overruns and shoddy workmanship on the roof?

I think that thing up in Montreal is awful. I’ve seen it in person; didn’t help my opinion.

I also don't get the hype behind Munich's. Mind you I don't think it's bad, but using the same logic that many use to dismiss Athens' - it's only the roof that is interesting. The rest is just another sunken bowl. Between the two, I’ll take Calatrava’s arches.

I think that thing up in Montreal is awful. I’ve seen it in person; didn’t help my opinion.

I also don't get the hype behind Munich's. Mind you I don't think it's bad, but using the same logic that many use to dismiss Athens' - it's only the roof that is interesting. The rest is just another sunken bowl. Between the two, I’ll take Calatrava’s arches.

Hmmmm interesting. Perhaps my perception is skewed as that was my first Olympics I actually got into and at the time, it was considered cutting edge.

I would say that Munich is the stadium that I find appealing architecturally

and i think that LA's is also a classic stadium

i think amsterdam's and Helsinki's have architecural merit and stand as representative of their times

this might be controversial given the political era it came out of but Berlin stands as one of the few remaining examples of Nazi grandiosity. It was designed to impress and it does, even now

Stadium Australia draws crowds of 20,000 or more only 2-3 times max a year? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but surely more peeps turn up to AFL, NRL and Soccer matches held there. It's not an eyesore, it's a symmetrical stadium with a purpose, now if you want a horrendous stadium, why not look towards Queensland Sports and Athletics Stadium, or the stadium to replace it, should Brisbane bid for a future Olympics. :P

LA Coliseum is not tacky, it has it's charm, built for a purpose, to host the 1932 Olympics, upgraded to a respectable manner for the 1984 Olympics. The proposed "upgrades" for the 2016 bid, now that was tacky. The stadium, in spite of it's historical significance, needs to be replaced.

If any Olympic stadium were to be tagged as tacky, I'd have to say Beijing leads the list. Yeah, it is a unique design, but perhaps it has too much design. Montreal's also fits into that category, but I've always been a fan. If Canadians hate it, that likely has a lot to do with the fact that it was a financial and construction mess and the complicated roof never functioned as designed.

The triumph of Munich was in its light and transparent design, a complete contrast to what Berlin presented.

Once again, Seoul gets no discussion. Not that the stadium is anything special - a Korean Parc des Princes - but it just always seems that Seoul is the least discussed games on this forum.

It's amazing how so many people praise the Munich stadium - It's always been at the very bottom of my list, along with Montreal, which was just very bizarre looking to me to say the least. In fact, I really don't care for any of the architecture (village etc) from Montreal.

Archived