Ioc Officially Launches Investigation On He Kexin

Times Online Article

The International Olympic Committee has ordered an investigation into mounting allegations that Chinese authorities covered up the true age of their gold-medal winning gymnastics star because she was too young to compete.

An IOC official told The Times that because of "discrepancies" that have come to light about the age of He Kexin, the host nation’s darling who won gold in both team and individual events, an official inquiry has been launched that could result in the gymnast being stripped of her medals.

All the work China put into these Olympics games is going to be overshadowed because of the stupidity by the Chinese government. Why risk everything to put a 14-year old child in the games when they could have replaced her with an of-age 16-year old gymnast?

These games will be remembered for Chinese cheating, when they should of been remembered for so much more.

In my observation, Gymnastics is not the lone sports where the Chinese are cheating. Watching the Brazil/China Women's Indoor Volley Semis irked me a lot. There were about more than 10 calls the linesmen called, which favors the Chinese team, that the Head Referee had to overrule. Although Brazil won easily, it's clear how the Chinese linesmen were trying to give points to the home team.

I don't think the Gymnastics Federation will be brave enough to stand against Chinese cheating in these games. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong on that part and their team will be stripped of their Women's Team Gold and the Uneven Bars Gold. Which will give the USA 2 more golds for these games. ;)

Nothing will happen. There will be an investigation and FIG will say there isn't enough evidence. What more they need, between the NY Times/AP Investigation and this document found on a cache, I don't know. Lord knows if their passports were fixed their birth certificates have also been altered by now.

BTW - when were their current passports issued?

Nothing will happen. There will be an investigation and FIG will say there isn't enough evidence. What more they need, between the NY Times/AP Investigation and this document found on a cache, I don't know. Lord knows if their passports were fixed their birth certificates have also been altered by now.

BTW - when were their current passports issued?

there really will never be enough evidence. the government has the ability to change hospital records, documents and pretty much change her entire life story if they really want, including silencing anyone in the know.

but the final nail in the coffin for any hope of getting the FIG or IOC to revoke any medals is the following, taken from a july 27th NY times article:

Yang Yun of China won individual and team bronze medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics and later said in an interview on state-run television that she had been 14 at the time of those Games. A Hunan Province sports administration report also said later that she had been 14 when she competed in Sydney.

"Me Chinese, me play joke, me put pee pee in your Coke!"

;)

Edited by ejaycat

Is 16 the minimum age limit just for gymnasts? I ask because the British Olympic diver,Tom Daley is only 14 and there is no problem with allowing him to compete!

Is 16 the minimum age limit just for gymnasts? I ask because the British Olympic diver,Tom Daley is only 14 and there is no problem with allowing him to compete!

Smaller, shorter bodies are able to perform twists and such more easily than older gymnasts.

Smaller, shorter bodies are able to perform twists and such more easily than older gymnasts.

That would go for diving as well the the two chinese girls in the 10 metre Platform diving certainly looked about 14. one girl is 65 pounds.

I would wonder with bodies like that if they had gone thru puberty . There were certainly young looking thin divers like the Swedish and Mexican Girls but nothing compared to the Chinese Girls. Nothing is going to happen . Bela Korly was ranting on about this on NBC and it just sounds like sour grapes.

Jim Jones

there really will never be enough evidence. the government has the ability to change hospital records, documents and pretty much change her entire life story if they really want, including silencing anyone in the know.

but the final nail in the coffin for any hope of getting the FIG or IOC to revoke any medals is the following, taken from a july 27th NY times article:

^^^^

cosign

You can bet, after their first failed attempt at deleting all their computer files that the Chinese govt is fast at work today changing these kids life story. I asked about the passports - what were the dates of them that they presented to FIG? My guess is that if asked for them, they will be dated after 2006.

I would wonder with bodies like that if they had gone thru puberty . There were certainly young looking thin divers like the Swedish and Mexican Girls but nothing compared to the Chinese Girls. Nothing is going to happen . Bela Korly was ranting on about this on NBC and it just sounds like sour grapes.

Well, when Bela rants, it always sounds like sour grapes about something.

As for diving - tho demanding, is not as hard on a kids body as gymnastics.

Edited by LA84

Yup. For Diving, the age limit is 14. The age limit differs for each sport. Take swimming for example, Seychelles sent a 13 year old in the 100m Freestyle , I think.

This is what my paper made of it the day after:

Gymnastics: Tweddle the loser as age doubts mar He's triumph

The British gymnast Beth Tweddle was a victim last night of the latest apparent faking scandal to hit these Games when she lost out on a medal in the uneven bars event because of a rival who should probably not have been competing at all.

A mounting body of evidence suggests that the Chinese gymnast, He Kexin, is too young to be in the Olympics. According to several official Chinese sources in the past, she is 14, and hence below the minimum age to take part. But she won the uneven bars last night, with Tweddle fourth.

The Chinese authorities now insist that He is 16, although at 4ft 8in and 5st 2llb she looks much younger. She has new documents "including a passport issued in February" which say she is 16, but no credible explanation has been given as to why her birth date was previously two years later than now.

References to her younger age have been wiped off computer systems. One online article in the China Daily state newspaper previously said she was 14. It has been changed to 16.

Tweddle, the 2006 uneven bars world champion, comes from Cheshire and trains in Toxteth. At 23, she is relatively ancient. None of the other seven finalists last night were older than 18. This might have been Tweddle's last Games, and in a sport where youth dominates, it was certainly her last realistic chance of an Olympic podium finish. If He had not been taking part, Tweddle would in all likelihood have won a bronze medal, at least.

Another of the medallists was another Chinese girl, Yang Yilin, who took third place behind He and America's Nastasia Luikin. There have also been doubts about Yang's age. The Chinese now say she is 16, as does her new passport. But registration lists at the sports body The General Administration of Sport of China – located and verified by US media outlets including the New York Times – previously gave her birth year as 1993.

Neither Tweddle nor Luikin wanted to make a public complaint about He last night. "I can only do what I do and not worry about the rest," Tweddle said. Luikin, 18, said: "I don't know how old she is but I do know that she gave a performance that merited her medal."

The issue of "age falsification" is not new in gymnastics. Minimum age requirements were introduced in the late 1990s because the sport was increasingly populated by young teenagers, with subsequent child welfare concerns. Gymnasts must now be 16 to enter the Olympics, or turn 16 in the calendar year the Games take place. There are lower limits in sports like diving, for example, because diving is not so thoroughly populated by children in the way gymnastics was.

The controversy over He has been bubbling since the Chinese named her in their team for the Games. Her age went from 14 to 16. Two official Chinese gymnastic websites "now blocked" previously gave He's birth date as 1994. Perhaps the most compelling evidence of He's real age is that she was cited as a 13 last November in a speech by a leading Chinese sports official, Liu Peng, when he was talking of her potential.

Yet when the New York Times presented this evidence to Chinese Olympic officials, the paper was shown He's passport, issued in February. Her date of birth is given as 1 January 1992. The International Olympic Committee will not investigate, saying the gymnastics governing body, the FIG, is responsible for age verification. The FIG says a passport is proof of age. And that, unfortunately for Tweddle, is that.

The Independent last night tried to speak to He in the "mix zone" and ask her age but she was quickly ushered away. Standing close up, three feet away from her at most, she does not even look 14, let alone 16. When The Independent tried to take a photograph, three officials blocked the view, briefly tried to take the camera, and then hurried He away.

There were no quibbles from Tweddle about her fourth-place score of 16.625. "Obviously I'm gutted but last Sunday I didn't think I'd even be competing [because of a rib injury] so I'm pleased just to make the final." Her mark would have been better, almost certainly good enough for a podium place, but for a messy dismount.

Prior to that, she had performed a splendid routine which was technically the most difficult of the eight on show. It elicited the loudest gasps of appreciation from a knowledgeable crowd.

"The dismount probably did cost me my place [on the podium]," she said. "My dismount is normally not a problem but I just didn't get enough height and to be honest I thought I was going to end up on my face."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympic...mph-901736.html

:huh:

Edited by Rob ♪

Yup. For Diving, the age limit is 14. The age limit differs for each sport. Take swimming for example, Seychelles sent a 13 year old in the 100m Freestyle , I think.

I'd like to see a pregnant woman try for Synchronized Diving, and then have her fetus plop OUT at the height of the dive and mother and baby would then complete the dive in TOTAL SYNCHRONIZATION!! :lol::lol:

Its because of the natural of gymnastics, these kids were getting pushed too much too soon and there is a clear advantage/disadvantage between a girl that has sexually matured and one that hasn't. The same is true in synchronized swimming and figure skating.

FINA (swimming, diving) has no age rstrictions for competing in the Olympics.

sir roltel not saying there is age restriction for Fina as you are right you could be 12 in theory and dive. I am saying about the General Machanics of Diving and Gymnastics have similar elements and the Advantage a lower teenaged female would have . That was very apparent with the Two Chinese Divers who won Gold and Bronze while a Canadain won silver. The Chinese divers ,who could legally come out and say they are under 16 , had very little body weight or Mass and could have fawless entries.

ONe Chinese diver was 65 pounds and of course would score higher simply with the Entries compared with an 18 year old weighting 110 to 130.

It basically can boil down to sour grapes in some ways but the IOC is perhaps looking at it as possible cheating in regards to the gymnasts

jim jones