Olympics Boss Rebukes Showy Bolt!

Mainad

The IOC boss seems to be less than thrilled by Bolt than the rest of us! :blink:

"Olympics boss Jacques Rogge has told Usain Bolt to show more respect for opponents after the Jamaican claimed the first sprint double for 24 years."

Link to BBC article:

I really cannot abide by showboating athletes. I can understand displays of Joy and Exultation. But not PRETENTIOUS "look-at-me" displays. Immediately my respect for said 'athletes' vaporizes the moment they launch into their 'diva' acts. They should remember that they are no better than schoolteachers or other public servants who toil every day W/O the great amounts of worldwide publicty heaped upon these physical 'whores.'

See my similar thread in the general "Beijing"folder.

What's Rogge's problem exactly? I don't think this is a matter of respect. I think this is a case of a young athlete having the time of his life and some silly old fart not being able to recognise that.

Nope. Rogge is right and Bolt is outta line. He deserves to be rebuked. Besides, Rogge runs the show. Bolt is a mere puppet in the overall scheme of things.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1. If Rogge runs the show, why has the IOC been so mute about all China's broken promises? .

2. Who has Bolt offended?

1. The IOC cannot and SHOULD NOT interfere in the host country's internal affairs -- only in matters that impact the Games.

2. The IOC leadership, his fellow athletes and me.

These 'pieces of meat' are really only good for their 10 mins. of fame. Why do you elevate them so? I mean Usain's story is already yesterday;s news. We need a new champ today -- and a new one tomorrow. And after Sunday, they just all go intothe history books.

1. They promised it, they failed to deliver it. The IOC clearly has no backbone.

2. Utter drivel. If you or anyone else is offended by a 21 year old kid having the time of his life and doing extraordinary things, then I suggest you sod off, go and learn about the joys of elite level sport and come back when you've grown up a bit. You may think that harsh, but I've rarely seen anything so stupid, so utterly absurd, so completely lacking in basic intelligence and so completely out of proportion with what is actually going on as that. Rogge should get a grip and so should you.

I'm still not clear what it was exactly that Bolt did that got under Rogge's nose??