Team Usa

nykfan845

The IOC instructed the Gymnastics Federation to investigate the ages of alledged underaged Chinese Gymnasts

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/oly...icle4583174.ece

Now what will happen with the investigation will be interesting. I don't even think this Federation will be brave enough to stand to Red China's actions on replacing the athlete's birth information.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the question the Chinese has to answer now is if they can continue to be at this high level in Olympic competitions. Definitely in London, their delegation will dwindle from more than 600 to Athens levels as they won't be the hosts and won't be able to qualify in a lot of sports. And their golds will diminish.

It's very clear in these games that some officials are so intimidated and always lean on being generous to Chinese athletes. Just watching women's indoor volleyball against Brazil irked me again after the Gymnastics competitionos. The Chinese linesmen called more than 10 calls that the Head Referee had to overturn. Although Brazil won easily, it was clear that some linesmen were trying to give some points to their home team.

Discipline because of Government pressure IMO is not good. Now applying discipline to one's self as motivation to excel and achieve greatness, that's what most Western countries instill on their athletes specially here in the US. It's so much different from what Red China do to their athletes. They have an "achieve this or else" policy. I pity the athletes who hasn't won gold but were expected by the Goverment to win one.

Have you guys heard the story of Guo Jingjing? She was forced by the Chinese Government out of retirement to compete in Beijing. She has everything, money fame, she's an Olympic Champion and one of the greatest female divers of all time, what more could she ask for? But of course, you have no choice but curb to the pressure from you Government. Which Western Democracy will do that to their athlete? I don't even think for a second the US will do that.

The Women's Soccer Gold Medal is the 1000th Gold Medal for Team USA in its Olympic History, both Summer and Winter. More than double the 2nd place Soviet Union which now doesn't exist and is trying to exist again. And almost 5 times the 3rd nation with most gold medals, Great Britain.

Amazing how consistent Team USA's sports programs are.

Fantastic news on the 1000th medal! B) !

Just looked at the medal standings - looks like we'll break 100 again - we're currently at 95. I think we got 102 in Athens.

Otherwise no big surprise in the standings outside of Britain being in 4th. If they keep doing what they are they could move up to 3rd. I am really surprised the Aussies aren't in 4th but they had problems in swimming like we have in T&F

Edited by LA84

After day 13, we have 12 more total medals, and 1 more gold than our pace in Athens. And with events that we could still medal, we could definitely surpass our total in Athens and at least (hopefully) tie our gold medal haul. So much so for China overtaking us. IMO, China overtaking us in golds only mean that, they've overtaken us in golds in their home country. Let's see how consistent they can be in London.

All in all, there were events that we didn't even win a medal where we've won some in Athens and it's so evident in Athletics and Gymnastics, and our medal total being still higher than Athens, Team USA is doing a fantastic job in Beijing.

After day 13, we have 12 more total medals, and 1 more gold than our pace in Athens. And with events that we could still medal, we could definitely surpass our total in Athens and at least (hopefully) tie our gold medal haul. So much so for China overtaking us. IMO, China overtaking us in golds only mean that, they've overtaken us in golds in their home country. Let's see how consistent they can be in London.

All in all, there were events that we didn't even win a medal where we've won some in Athens and it's so evident in Athletics and Gymnastics, and our medal total being still higher than Athens, Team USA is doing a fantastic job in Beijing.

To give the Chinese their due, they have been working years for this.

We sucked in several events that we should have won. T&F comes to mind first. How much of that is due to the lack of doping, I don't know.

We got some bad breaks. Just wasn't in the cards.

There was some questionable judging but there always is in scoring competitions. See the gymnastics scandal for reference. <_<

But like I said, still being first in medal count and, if we beat our Athens total, is nothing to be ashamed about.

And Rogers/Dalhausser get the gold!!!!!

WOOT! :lol:

I hate being on the west coast right now. We haven't gotton there in tonites coverage! ;)<_<

The Men's Indoor Volley team just won their semis against Russia and will play for Gold! What a match! It came down to who's the more veteran team.

USA Volleyball is in good times right now. Golds in both men's and women's beach, and finals appearances for both men's and women's indoors.

GO TEAM USA!!!

Also, I just watched the medal ceremony for Men's Beach Volleyball. The Brazilian fans pissed me off a lot. They were so rude and disrepectful. They were singing "ole, ole, ole, ole...." when the Star-Spangled Banner was being played. Sore losers :rolleyes:

Edited by NewYork2016

After Day 14...

Total Medals - Athens 90, Beijing 102

Golds - Athens 30, Beijing 31

The US has to win at least 4 golds on day 15 to at least have a chance of tying or suprassing our Athens Gold Medal haul. We've won 4 in Athens after day 15.

David Clay already won the gold about 6 hours ago. ;)

We've won so far, 5 golds in Athletics . It'll be a quite an effort to surpass or even match our 8-gold medal haul in Athens. Unless we sweep all of the athletics events where the US has a chance. It is definitely a lot of disappointments in the US Track Team, but there were great moments too like our first Women's Discus Gold since 1932, a Women's Pole Vault silver, Brian Clay's gold, and Heptathlon's silver.

There is a good Yahoo Sports article about the US medal count vs. China. It really highlights how low-peforming team sports attract most young athletes in the country as opposed to medalling olympic events and that's why unless there is USOC related program expansion the US medal tally could begin shrinking against China and even other nations in the future.

Also, they announced the closing ceremony flagbearer. An archer originally from Georgia, the COUNTRY. Hmm. A Sudanese and a Georgian. Way too politically charged selections from me. Having just one would be fine, but to do both is kind of a slap in the face and disrespectfully hints at political undertones.

Also, they announced the closing ceremony flagbearer. An archer originally from Georgia, the COUNTRY. Hmm. A Sudanese and a Georgian. Way too politically charged selections from me. Having just one would be fine, but to do both is kind of a slap in the face and disrespectfully hints at political undertones.

I assumed it would be Phelps. The Aussie tradition is for our best performed athlete of the games to carry the flag at the closing (in this case it will be Stephanie Rice).

Did this Georgian-American win a medal?