Team Usa

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was rooting for both teams. Brazil has been spanked by the US in so many semifinals and gold matches in Beijing and since their women's team never gets a lot of coverage compared to the men I think it's cool that they won. Brazil is also down in golds this year, so why not? An amazing effort from the US regardless of silver!

ooops... My mistake on Bryan Clay ;)

It's an amazing run for the US Women's Indoor Volley team. They're not expected to medal, let alone play in the finals. The Brazilian Women's team had a better run and they're stronger. Soccer and volleyball are the top sports disciplines in Brazil and it's just appropriate for them to win this one with the run that they had. I can't think of other teams that had better stories than them and most deserving to be in the finals that these 2 teams.

I hope it'll be a reverse result though on the men's side. Brazil has not dominated on the men's side as their team on the women's side did. The men's final hopefully will be a closer game :)

I assumed it would be Phelps. The Aussie tradition is for our best performed athlete of the games to carry the flag at the closing (in this case it will be Stephanie Rice).

Did this Georgian-American win a medal?

Phelps is in London for the handover ceremony, or whatever it is they are doing there tomorrow night.

Most of the swimmers have gone home. I had hope Lezak or Dara Torres might get the honor. Or for that matter the new decathlon champion Bryan Clay? <_<

I was not happy with our choices of flag bearers this year. Highly political IMHO for both of them.

I doubt they'll will win the same number. It'll definitely be lower IMO. It should be a closer race with the US for sure. There were a lot of disappointments on Team USA this year specially in boxing and athletics, they will surely be addressed. Although some would retire or not compete in a lot more events like Phelps, one thing is for sure though with Team USA, we will stay competitive. :)

One thing is for sure though, we will win 110 medals. 3 teams are in a final game which guarantees them of at least a silver. I hope it will be golden performances tomorrow.

Previous high on an non-boycotted games was 108 in Barcelona. Actually, it was St Louis in 1904 where the US won 239 medals! Which is astounding considering there are only 91 events played compared to 301 in Athens and 302 in Beijing.

One thing is for sure though, we will win 110 medals. 3 teams are in a final game which guarantees them of at least a silver. I hope it will be golden performances tomorrow.

Previous high on an non-boycotted games was 108 in Barcelona. Actually, it was St Louis in 1904 where the US won 239 medals! Which is astounding considering there are only 91 events played compared to 301 in Athens and 302 in Beijing.

LOL - I was looking this up earlier. Thanks for letting me stop my research.

St. Louis we can't count because, did anyone else really compete? :lol:

This is phenomenal if this happens. Especially after the way the Chinese ramped up for these games.

Our 1000th gold and a new record of most medals in a game. Good stuff. B)

There are competitors in St Louis. Apparently we won 239 out of the 273 available medals. So other competitors should've won those 34 medals. ;)

Our performance is definitely amazing considering the Chinese surge. The Chinese had this project where they would develop athletes on 119 disciplines. Medal rich disciplines in athletics, swimming, rowing, etc. Fortunately for us, they've only won about 5 golds and less than 15 medals in those events. We've medaled in a lot of events where we didn't in 2004 like the women's discus throw (last gold was in 1932), Rebecca Soni in swimming where she won gold in the 200m breaststroke if I'm not mistaken, Cejudo in Wrestling, some in shooting, Mark and Diana Lopez in taekwondo, water polo and indoor volleyball teams, 3 medals in the new event in cycling BMX, etc.

We now have 1006 golds in both Summer and Winter Games. I just hope we'll add more tomorrow.

Edited by NewYork2016

I was joking about St. Louis. It was rather one-sided. ;)

So the end of the surge is in sight. As of 3:00 p.m. pt, we are at 107 medals for these games, 5 better than Athens. Looks like we will be still be in first place in the medal standings when all is said and done as the Chinese are now 11 behind us. B)

Yup best performance by Team USA since Barcelona. IMO, this was the best overall performance by Team USA in any of the non-boycotted games considering all the ups and downs with this team. This is the 3rd best medal haul after the St Louis and 1984 LA Games. We could've actually won more, there's just a lot of intangibles one must overcome in a competition like this and there's just no excuse why some didn't perform to their best of abilities.

But all in all, I'm very pleased with Team USA's performance 110-medal performance. And I hope the different sports committees will continue its great job of training our athletes to stay competitive in London.

Edited by NewYork2016

1st gold won today in Men's Indoor Volleyball. What a journey for this team! Did anyone watch this game on NBC or any of their networks? I've recorded it on my DVR but NBC showed cycling and table tennis of all sports, while the men's indoor volley team is playing the games of their lives!

I'm hoping for more golds today. :)

It's interesting that the US,whilst increasing its overall share of the medals, has finished up with the same number of golds (36) as in Athens and Sydney.I guess you'll be looking to move up out of that particular groove come 2012? ;)

Hopefully we will. It's been an up and down as what most have seen already with this Team. And with a lot of disappointments these games came a lot of great achievements, many to be mentioned. We still ended up tying our gold-medal haul in Athens, and got more total medals, which is the best since Barcelona and the best for a non-boycotted games.

It's interesting that the US,whilst increasing its overall share of the medals, has finished up with the same number of golds (36) as in Athens and Sydney.I guess you'll be looking to move up out of that particular groove come 2012? ;)

I think the lesson of these games, despite us being at the top of the medal total, is that attention needs to be payed to what in North America are obscure sports. The Chinese pulled in the majority of their medals in areas that are not big in North America. Athletes in the martial arts, pin pong, badmitton, etc. need to be recognized as well and given the same attention that the T&F and swimming athletes get.

I think some sports, we are selectively developing athletes that has a lot of potential or that are competitive. Our sports programs are pretty much far-reaching to all sports compared to other countries who concentrate on their strongest sports. We're not like China and the former USSR who develop gold-medal winners from their childhood. And we do ours with mostly if not all-private funding. Which IMO, is way better and would get the best results for both the NOC and the athlete.

Disappointments so far in Beijing are boxing, canoe/kayak, diving, and some athletics events. Some events could've done better like wrestling, judo, table tennis, taekwondo, but I like so far what they've done. In wrestling, Cejudo is only 21 yrs old and a promising future ahead of him. The Lopez siblings alone won a silver and 2 bronzes in taekwondo, they should do better in London if some of them still qualifies to participate there. We have Chinese-Americans that are playing table tennis for the USA, we are not a power in this sport but slowly IMO, we'll get there too.

And I like our USA Track head's attitude about our performance in Beijing. We topped the golds and total medals but there's just no excuse in the relay races. Overall in athletics IMO, USA underperformed and USA Track and Field is pretty mad at what happened and promises it will never happen again so we should expect a better performance in London.

We still have Phelps in swimming but he probably would not race in the same number of events in 2012. But our swimming programme continues to develop young talent and we have some here in Beijing that could easily medal in London too. Soni and Grevers for example.

We've been rising again after our drop in Sydney. And with competition from China this year, the US did even better. So there's no reason not to be optimistic in London.

Not to change the topic but I just saw the footage of the Redeem Team putting their medals on Coach Mike Krzyzewski (funny. because I did see the game at 2:30am!!). I was really proud of the team because you could clearly see the camaraderie that wasn't there in 2004 and their sense of the whole. Amazing in my mind.

Not to change the topic but I just saw the footage of the Redeem Team putting their medals on Coach Mike Krzyzewski (funny. because I did see the game at 2:30am!!). I was really proud of the team because you could clearly see the camaraderie that wasn't there in 2004 and their sense of the whole. Amazing in my mind.

Let me comment on that.

Until now, I DESPISED Kobe as well as most of the members of the Redeem Team.

My opinion has been changed.

This is the most cohesive team since 1984 with Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Shaq, etc.

They went out and watched other events, they got involved in The Olympics and they carried off these games with class.

Gentlemen - you did us proud. B)

Let me comment on that.

Until now, I DESPISED Kobe as well as most of the members of the Redeem Team.

My opinion has been changed.

This is the most cohesive team since 1984 with Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Shaq, etc.

They went out and watched other events, they got involved in The Olympics and they carried off these games with class.

Gentlemen - you did us proud. B)

I made the comment in the opening ceremonies that it was good to see the NBA players being full integrated into the games, unlike in Athens and previously where they stayed in high class hotels instead of the Olympic Village and didn't take part in the ceremonies.