Team Usa

nykfan845

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've won 79 medals after day 11 in Beijing... 73 in Athens

We've won 26 golds after day 11 in Beijing... 25 in Athens

And I'm so proud of Team USA. Lots of great achievements like the Men's Team Bronze in Gymnastics, Shalane Flanagan's Bronze in the Women's 10K, Dara Torres Silver in the 50m freestyle, the first ever gold since 1932 in women's discus throw, and of course Michael Phelps swim to 8 golds!

Nobody will come into our hospitality room. We are not offering beer as Roltel did in the Australian room <_<:D

Lets break open some lovely Napa Valley and Sonoma wines and celebrate!

Michael Phelps - he is goofy looking - he probably farts a lot with that frightening diet he has and is geeky.

Damn he does not annoy me like Mark Spitz did. There is just something endearing about him.

Dara Torres - I called my sister who has 40DD boobs and reminded her that she was the same age as Dara. She was not amused. :lol:

So - what else?

Why should "nobody" come into an US-room?

I waited the whole time that one of our US-members open one here on GamesBids!!!

I think the US-athletes are representing the country very well - I am glad for Marc Phelps that he won "the" 8 gold medals and therewith he will be "the" athlete of the Beijing Olympics

The americans are doing a fine job so far! Keep it up!

And what I like best so far, is there isn't much STRUTTING and puffing of chests as USA-in Bolt seems to be doing. I think the USA delegation was greatly reminded of their deportment in Beijing -- how it is reflectve of the world view; and these guys actually seem to be listening.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

What if the United States require all athletes who train in the country to become US Citizens and represent the USA instead of representing their mother countries, how would the medal tally look like?

Just a thought though. ;)

Edited by NewYork2016

Ahhhh how nice of CAF and Roltel to stop by.

I knew as soon as we pulled out the wine people would start flocking ;)

Baron raises a good point and I just want to add to that. The mens basketball team seems to be following that pattern - much to my surprise. The last 2 Olympics I wanted to hide my head with their conduct on and off the court. Kobe and company seem to be all over the place, watching other competitions, etc.

I would use to say that about this point is where we would start pulling away in the gold count - but not sure these games.

Basketball, Beach Volleyball, BMX and some more track and field I think we'll do well in but not to the extent I thought we would.

Some surprises in track and field this year. JoJo I fully expected to win. Bolt rewrote the rules of track and field. I am thoroughly impressed with him. Second biggest story to Phelps of these games so far IMHO.

Edited by LA84

May/Walsh has just won GOLD!!!

Here's to hoping Rogers/Dalhausser can do the same.

DAMN - it sucks being on the West Coast!

Congrats! Those two are awesome. B)

Did they have another in-the-sand-rolling congrats hug like they did in Athens? ;)

After Day 13

Total Medals - Athens 83, Beijing 95

Golds - Athens 28, Beijing 29

We're still doing good guys... GO TEAM USA!!!

well, true we're doing better than athens, but these were the games we knew we had to step it up for because of china's potential dominance, and we just aren't. we're taking the silvers and bronzes to china's golds. it is unacceptable the way western athletes are so undisciplined—maybe with the exception of the US gymnastics team—as compared to china.

well, true we're doing better than athens, but these were the games we knew we had to step it up for because of china's potential dominance, and we just aren't. we're taking the silvers and bronzes to china's golds. it is unacceptable the way western athletes are so undisciplined—maybe with the exception of the US gymnastics team—as compared to china.

Undisciplined?

With the training pressure that the Chinese government places on its athletes, I'm OK with that. China has been preparing for these Games for years, and likely bending some rules along the way to those golds. It was pretty much expected that they would get more golds than the US, so I don't find it unacceptable that they're dominating so much. I don't think their domination will last for long, though. I don't think the USOC should be discouraged by these results (except for maybe the track team), and should look to improve in London.

Meh - it happens.

Looks like we will still be first in the medal count. A lot of strange errors in T&F this year which impacted our standing.

This is the same scenario that occurred back during the Soviet and East German domination of the games, except China is doing it via heavy discipline and in their sport schools.