10,500 Athletes, And Only 10 Of Them Gay

Lee

Don`t like to base things on voice or mannerisms, but in 5 years time if I heard that the British diver kid was gay I wouldn`t be so surprised.

And I could name three germans who are gay but in the closet :o but none are so good looking unforttunately.

I joined an online Olympics slash fiction LiveJournal community recently. Been reading mostly Phelps-anyone/everyone, Horton-Artemov, and Thorpe-van den Hoogenband pairings. So hot. And I contributed a short Daley-Aldridge piece, too. Harhar. If they're not gay, we can always live these fantasies in our heads.

Canada's Kyle Shewfelt is definitely gay. I don't know if he's out for the benefit of the viewing public, but it's definitely known. Notice how the girlfriend he had in Athens is MIA in Beijing? Dun dun DUNNNN.

I hope Nathan Gafuik is as well... I definitely get a vibe from him. Now, if only I didn't find that YouTube video of Fabian Hambuchen making out with this girl in a hot tub, that dream could still be alive.

I don't think you can really say for sure via mannerisms and behavior. Greg Louganis or Mark Tewkesbury certainly did not seem "gay" when they were Olympians competing.

Mark Tewkesbury certainly was a very normal speaker on TV at the time, When he came out he certainly seemed to not have his voice as forceful and seemed more gay. If you use wikipedia and search Gay sportspeople they have a mere 53 entries but that consists only of Males. Of those 53 about Ten were in the Olympics . Considering that in 1984 after winning two Gold medals Greg Louganis was what Michael Phelps is right now in American popular Culture. Louganis was a very hot commercial commodity,and when he came out in 1994 he lost all his endorsements except Speedo. You think about it . The amount of Personal and Financial Sacrifice involved to get to the Olympics and then you close the door to any recovery of that investment. Speaking Engagements are a big thing for Gold medalists and that could certainly be effected as well. Like most people I could care less and really don't want to know thats their business.

There are those however who would just say Americans or the World are not excepting and in many peoples minds regardless of the Achievement Gays are not role models . I am not saying that at all. I am saying that would be the general view of Madison Avenue Advertising Agencies who probably have huge amounts of Gays on Staff or in Top tier Executive positions. If Greg Louganis could lose so much being a Mom and Apple pie Hero for America for Los Angeles 1984 and Seoul 1988 then it would really be a hard uphill battle selling an openly gay athlete to a client .

Jim jones

Does it really matter? When I watch an athlete compete I don't think of their sexuality. I don't even think if they have children. If they have siblings. Or if their mother was a prostitute. Their athletic ability is what matters.

Does it really matter? When I watch an athlete compete I don't think of their sexuality. I don't even think if they have children. If they have siblings. Or if their mother was a prostitute. Their athletic ability is what matters.

No, it doesn't really matter, but watching fit, attractive, healthy sportsmen in skimpy athletics gear whatever their performances is also many a person's guilty pleasure at a games. There's a reason why GamesBids has Real Jocks.com as one of its banner ads. It's just human nature for many of us to ponder on their preferences.