10,500 Athletes, And Only 10 Of Them Gay

Lee

Yes it's a shame many athletes feel uncomfortable about coming out. I guess they don't want their achievements overshadowed by an ignorant media, who simply seek to pigeon-hole and stereotype them.

We all know there are many more Gay and Lesbian athletes in Beijing right now.

All of those hot, fit and prime bodies. :wub:

Exactly!

The Sydney Olympics ran out. Athens doubled the number. So organisers of the Beijing Games are hoping 100,000 condoms will satisfy the needs of Olympic athletes.

At the Sydney Games in 2000 athletes quickly exhausted a supply of 70,000 and another 20,000 had to be brought in. At Athens in 2004 about 130,000 condoms were distributed.

Source

Was just watching the men's gymnastics (vault) this morning with my partner and were commenting on how much all the competitors lookd like they just stepped out of a Bel Ami video.

LOL...

I'm amazed they use up that many condoms, one would think they'd reserve their energy for competitions......unless they're partying after completing their events/winning.

LOL...

I'm amazed they use up that many condoms, one would think they'd reserve their energy for competitions......unless they're partying after completing their events/winning.

Oh yes, they'll be partying hard in the village this week. Most of them will have done their Olympic performance and have nothing to do but have a good time now. Which always pisses off those who are competing later in the games and still have to train and kep their heads focussed.

Oh yes, they'll be partying hard in the village this week. Most of them will have done their Olympic performance and have nothing to do but have a good time now. Which always pisses off those who are competing later in the games and still have to train and kep their heads focussed.

So....in other words, a lot of condos are getting christianized for their owners right after these Games end. :lol:

I highly doubt the whole condom thing is that crazy in the Winter Games, especially with a lot less athletes, less daylight, and the cold weather that makes things shrink....

This will make depressing reading for most gay people

Sydney Morning Herald

Just watching Matthew dive now in the 3m. Unfortunately, he didn't make the cut to the final. Still, good on him fo competing out and proud. Sad he's the ONLY man in the vilage prepared to be out. Hope that figure's a bit better come London.

I'm pretty sure Canada's Olympic Bronze medalist Ryan Cochrane is gay. After I heard him speak after placing third in the 1500m swimming finals it was pretty much obvious.

what makes you think that?

I must admit that I can't think of any out gay men in the GB team.

I know of one British swimmer who is definately gay ..... not sure whether he's out or not.

I don't see what the big deal is - who cares if our athletes are gay or straight - all that matters is that they do as well as they can.

Edited by Stu

Statistically speaking there is a 1 in 10 chance of being gay. So 10,500 athletes, 1050 of them are gay.

I got into a huge fight with an Iranian I lived with in residence at university. He said at least my country isn't full of queers, i replied, well their has to be at lest 7 million of them, compared to Canada's 3

Statistically speaking there is a 1 in 10 chance of being gay. So 10,500 athletes, 1050 of them are gay.

I got into a huge fight with an Iranian I lived with in residence at university. He said at least my country isn't full of queers, i replied, well their has to be at lest 7 million of them, compared to Canada's 3

The one-in-ten's a bit contentious. I've also seen 7.5 per cent estimates. Whatever it is, of course there's a lot of them playing for the same team in Beijing.

Michelle® Posted Today, 05:10 PM

I'd have expected nothing else from you, Sir =)

Let us have our fun, Michelle.

It's one of the great joys of the Games. The sports, the competition, the pageantry, the eye candy!

1 in 10? I thought it was more like 3% for gay men, 2% for lesbians, and 1% for bisexuals and other. 10% seems a bit high.

But I guess these are just estimates, there isn't really a way to get actual stats.

1 in 10? I thought it was more like 3% for gay men, 2% for lesbians, and 1% for bisexuals and other. 10% seems a bit high.

But I guess these are just estimates, there isn't really a way to get actual stats.

There's always big variations between the different studies, and it gets complicated when some studies only include those who openly declare they're gay, and others that try to estimate the closeted proportions, whether bi-sexuality gets included etc etc.