Tokyo Should Wait To Host In 2028!

It's interesting that the past three Asian Olympic hosts have all been in an "8" year:

1988, Summer - Seoul, South Korea

1998, Winter - Nagano, Japan

2008, Summer - Beijing, China

2018, Winter - PyeongChang, South Korea?????

If Tokyo hosts in 2016 they will throw everything off!! :blink:

They should wait until 2028...

On the other hand, the Americas should host in a "6" year:

1976, Summer - Montreal, Canada

1976, Winter - Denver, USA (would have been if they didn't pull out)

1996, Summer - Atlanta, USA

...not considering the years hosted for St. Louis, Los Angeles, Lake Placid, Squaw Valley, Mexico City, Calgary and Salt Lake City.

This should just be a fight between Chicago and Rio - a fight Chicago can win!!!

(joking)

It's interesting that the past three Asian Olympic hosts have all been in an "8" year:

1988, Summer - Seoul, South Korea

1998, Winter - Nagano, Japan

2008, Summer - Beijing, China

2018, Winter - PyeongChang, South Korea?????

If Tokyo hosts in 2016 they will throw everything off!! :blink:

They should wait until 2028...

On the other hand, the Americas should host in a "6" year:

1976, Summer - Montreal, Canada

1976, Winter - Denver, USA (would have been if they didn't pull out)

1996, Summer - Atlanta, USA

...not considering the years hosted for St. Louis, Los Angeles, Lake Placid, Squaw Valley, Mexico City, Calgary and Salt Lake City.

This should just be a fight between Chicago and Rio - a fight Chicago can win!!!

(joking)

I do agree that Asia is lucky each time they bid in an "8" year. Of course, the IOC voters don't even remember when they are voting. in the other hand, if the Americas still host in a "6" year, it will be really unlucky, Montreal had that economic drama, Denver couldn't host the game and went to Innsburck, and atlanta was terribly organiwzed and not so much security and bla, bla,bla. So, let's see how the IOC consider if it is Chicago's turn, above all with all these scandals in Beijig and Sochi for being in problematic countries like the USA.

You know some guys from english speaking countries are always funny.

It's always your turn and other cities have just to wait.

Curiously it is never London,Chigago or Sydney who should wait their turn but Madrid Paris or Tokyo because it should be asia in 2028 or because Paris centenial could be in 2024 or because barcelona is too close etc...

And after you win it will probably time for africa ou south america i imagine...

Please tell us your bid is better or as good as other cities(which is for an english speaking city very good enough to win)but stop saying crap like we don't deserve it or that we should wait.

You know some guys from english speaking countries are always funny.

It's always your turn and other cities have just to wait.

Curiously it is never London,Chigago or Sydney who should wait their turn but Madrid Paris or Tokyo because it should be asia in 2028 or because Paris centenial could be in 2024 or because barcelona is too close etc...

And after you win it will probably time for africa ou south america i imagine...

Please tell us your bid is better or as good as other cities(which is for an english speaking city very good enough to win)but stop saying crap like we don't deserve it or that we should wait.

You see the same sentiments in regards to Africa , South America , India and other frontier locations that they should after 112 years wait their turn which is BS. Paris in 2020 well I would certainly support that but is it practical considering London in 2012 ? If it was to go RIO 2016 Chicago or an american City in 2020 and then Paris for the Centennial it would be great in my mind. Asia in 2028 would put it at 20 years between summer olympics and that could most likely be New Delhi. Continental Rotation has come out of Jacques Rogges mouth before. Paris Frankly I think should have it before London did and certainly before Madrid. It will nearly be a century that the summer games have not come to France the way things are going. As long as every second summer games is somewheres besides countries having hosted before then I am supportive of that.

Jim jones

Well, there is a difference. France has hosted twice. Sweden has never hosted. I suspect Paris will one day in the near future join London in the 3 timers club. And Sweden will also host a future winter games. It is just a matter of timing and conditions.

As for India hosting the Olympics, I think they have a LOT of work to do first in every way imaginable. Of course in Beijing, India is currently experiencing their best Olympics ever! They've doubled their medal haul. That is kinda easy, though when all you have to do is win two medals.

i think the logic of geographical factor is just nuts...

in my opinion the last presentation will just give the ioc members some to forget about this stupid geography thing. if it will influenced the outcome, it will just a little...

just see europe... 2012 and then 2014... the ioc just like something is luxury, comfort... like sochi to have a resort for the olympics... and just see the prominent or the VIP or VVIP who come to present the last presentation... like Putin, Beckham.. even Blair in a video conference... they need to have this... so far Madrid has Rafael Nadal, Chicago??, Tokyo?? hmmm maybe i like the idea of Chicago having the venues in the middle of the city... and those cities like Tokyo and Chicago are also near to sea... it is something like Sochi like thing... i dont intend to say ioc members are materialistic but those elements are vital to secure one votes... its not bribe, its like to have the guarantee to hava a comfortable games... because the ioc also will attend the games right..?

Yes, the IOC does seem to pick bids that suite them the best. It is plain economics. That is why Europe hosted so many times in the early 20th century. Was that fair? Not really, but travel was a much bigger issue during those times.

Now, I do think geography should be considered in the selection. A region of the world should not be able to have multiple hosts, because it should be spread out to benefit various regions. Plus it make the Olympics more interesting if there is a bit of diversity. I do not necessarily oppose a Rio or Tokyo bid, but I am just supporting my home city. If LA was bidding, I would be for Tokyo, Rio and then Madrid.

But there are exceptions though. If for example all the 2016 bids flat out sucked - except for Madrid, then Madrid should host. It still should be "strongest bid," but with geography considered among other things.

It should go to Rio.

Not Tokyo because the games were just in Asia (Beijing)

Not Madrid because the games would have just been in the European region (London)

That leaves Chicago and Rio. I'm not hating on Chicago. It would be a great olympics if they get the bid. But, a SOUTH American country has never hosted an olympics. I say the IOC should give Rio the chance.

Nope. Of the 4, Tokyo is a repeat host. It's not like the 2012 race, when London and Paris had each hosted 2x -- thus the odds were even. AND Asia/China/Beijing JUST hosted. SO that counts against Tokyo.

Hmmm, I don't quite follow your strategy.

We all know you are routing for Chicago but try to lift the "favourite" jinks by trying to convince everyone that Chicago is doing great just trying to be low-profile in order to get the momentum at the right time.

Yet, the moment someone posts something positive about another bid, you cannot stand it and have to bring it down into the dust... If one reads your various posts about Madrid, Rio and Tokyo then Chicago is the only choice so you don't support your own strategy...

This repeat host thing shouldn't really play against Tokyo as Chicago and Madrid have to face the fact that both the US and Spain are recent hosts. The only city that could really play this card is Rio.

"This repeat host thing shouldn't really play against Tokyo."

Perhaps, but if Japan was bidding with Osaka again, all these arguments would be a wash. Los Angeles didn't get picked as the USOC candidate for a reason. And even though the U.S. has hosted the most recent of the four, Asia just hosted the Summer Olympics last month, while North America is still waiting between 2 European & 2 Asian/Pacific Rim Games. That's also a fact that Tokyo has to face as well.

"This repeat host thing shouldn't really play against Tokyo."

Perhaps, but if Japan was bidding with Osaka again, all these arguments would be a wash. Los Angeles didn't get picked as the USOC candidate for a reason. And even though the U.S. has hosted the most recent of the four, Asia just hosted the Summer Olympics last month, while North America is still waiting between 2 European & 2 Asian/Pacific Rim Games. That's also a fact that Tokyo has to face as well.

By "repeat host" I was referring to the fact that Tokyo has already hosted 44 years ago.

I do agree that the fact that Beijing just hosted will be indeed one factor against Tokyo.

But "repeat host" should be a card that Chicago should play very very carefully...

By "repeat host" I was referring to the fact that Tokyo has already hosted 44 years ago.

I do agree that the fact that Beijing just hosted and that Tokyo previously hosted will indeed be a factor many IOC members will consider against Tokyo.

But "repeat host" should be a card that Chicago should play very very carefully...

I honestly don't think Chicago should play that card at all. It could backfire very easily. 2012 will be London's third time hosting, and should they give 2016 to a city that previously hosted? That would be a back to back repeat host.

^^^

My quotes were messed up. This is what I meant to say...

---------------------

I do agree that the fact that Beijing just hosted and that Tokyo previously hosted will indeed be a factor many IOC members will consider against Tokyo.

I honestly don't think Chicago should play that card at all. It could backfire very easily. 2012 will be London's third time hosting, and should they give 2016 to a city that previously hosted? That would be a back to back repeat host.

It does seem strange to me that some are pushing Chicago as a new frontier for the Games. Chicago may not have hosted the Olympics itself, however, the US has hosted several times - if there is an Opening Ceremony for Chicago in 2016 it is the US flag that will be marched out last, it will be the President of the US that opens the Games, it will be the American athletes competing in one team and getting the home support - the nation is as much the host of the event as the city and the US has host the Summer Games twice recently already.

Madrid too is at a disadvantage - the 1992 Games are still as clear in people's memories as 1984 and 1996.

Tokyo could seem far fresher than either Chicago or Madrid - Japan has hosted the Summer Games before but it was well before the Games in Spain or the US. I don't personally see why the 2008 Games should be an obstacle for Tokyo - Asia is a continent of around 40 nations containing well over half of the world's population - if the particular country is capable of providing the Games of course it should be seriously considered over countries from continents with far smaller populations and in one case only two or three capable host countries.

The only bid with a better claim that "it's their turn" than Tokyo is Rio.

No one on here is trying to "push" Chicago as a new-frontier. Simply the fact that Chicago has never hosted while Tokyo has. If some people want to miscontrue that into something else (a Chicago Games would still be a U.S. Games, yada, yada, yada), then that's their business, but it doesn't change the simple fact that Tokyo has hosted the Olympics while the other 3 candidates simply have not. It's no different of an assertion than what some others on here do for Tokyo (i.e. "Japan has gone the longest, therefore it would be 'fresher', etc, etc.").

And yes Asia does have the most people of any continent in the world, but we just celebrated the Games there last month. And realistically at the moment, only 3 countries (of Asia's many countries) can host without any questions. I can definitely see going back to Asia in 2020, but 2016 is still a bit soon.

Tokyo's an ugly, expensive city and the Japanese are somewhat boring -- that's why Tokyo should not even be a finalist.

While I am well known for being a Tokyo backer on here this is a bit... juvenile? Even for you BPdC4!

Tokyo can be a very expensive city - however if you go there and don't want to spend much you can live very comfortably. As for ugly - go inland two blocks from Lake Michigan and look around - Chocago may have a few iconic skyscrapers - but it is just another big arsed US city. Madrid (apart from the Spanish being spoken) is also just another big city. Rio has the edge as far as beauty goes - but much of Rio is f*cking ugly as well.

As for boring.. come on! Really? Geisha man! Geisha! They make tea and write memoirs and stuff!

Archived