Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chris1993

"eurolympics"?

I have thought a bit on whether it would be possible to organise a European game, like the Asian Games and South American Games but in Europe then.

Do you think this would be possible?

The reason such a competition hasn't been organized yet, is extremely tight scheduling. There are more athletics meets for European athletes, European football players compete in more competitions, Europe has more tradition for continental championships etc etc.

Interesting idea but as already said I think that their wont be time for this as the schedule is already rather full... But definitely worth investigating!

Breaking in with a new competition now would be very difficult. If it was to become something like the Asian or Pan-American Games, it should have been started long ago.

It is true that you say that the schedule will be quite hard. It may try to combine the europeian athletics championship with Euro Games and start a cooperation with the EAF (Europeian Athletics Federation) - although it is unlikely that they want to cooperate. In the case of aquatic sports, so have the European participants a championship every year (World Championship every odd year, and Europeian championship each regular)

I like this idea - but I wonder what will happen with the European Championships of the different sports...

Presumably they would be submerged within it. I don't necessarily object to the idea, but it is difficult for me to see where it could happen or whether the sporting bodies would want it to happen.

I think another important aspect is that many Olympic sports have in the countries a kind of different strongholds:

e.g. Sport A has strongholds in

Oxford

Zaragoza

Luzern

Firenze

Duisburg

Praha

Uppsala

to support the basis of this Sport A the European Championships takes place in these cities

Shall European Championships never take place in such places anymore, since the cities won't be capable to host in two weeks many different sports?

eurolympic ? I think the reason why european doesn't have this tournament because they already individual tournament for each sport, we all know EURO for football, other than that, european also have european athletic championship, and another championship for each sport, and remember european also have a very tight schedule for football, each for their national league, plus eurpean championship league, and euro cup

I have wondered whether it is possible to arrange games with unusual sports. Think of i.a. Boule, Darts, Lacrosse, etc. Sports rarely see.

I think it would be easier to get (and perhaps it would also become more popular) than to have sports of larger size. :)

World Games ;)

South European countries take part at the Mediterranean Games (the last edition was in Almeria, Spain, in 2005; the next, in Pescara, Italy, in 2009) with some North African and Western Asian countries. I think it's the most similar sports event to an Asian Games, All African Games or Panamerican Games here in Europe.

I believe that, if it happens anyway, it would be just like the South American Games: most athletes would skip it to try high-level competitions around the world , and the games would be left just for younger athletes.