Medal Tables

Lee

I last checked and so far 85 nations have won medals, that's more than any Olympics in history, and that just shows how competitive these Games have been, and it shows that the Olympic Games are in good health sportswise. Even those who haven't won medals have been ultracompetitive, and in the case of Papua New Guinea, had a couple of chances.

This can only be a good omen for the future of the Olympic movement.

Well the top isn't a surprise. There wasn't much doubt that China would dominate in golds and the US would dominate in total medals.

Congrats to Tajikistan, Togo, and Afghanistan for winning their first medals (did I forget anyone?). What a great Olympics for Great Britain too.

I last checked and so far 85 nations have won medals, that's more than any Olympics in history, and that just shows how competitive these Games have been, and it shows that the Olympic Games are in good health sportswise. Even those who haven't won medals have been ultracompetitive, and in the case of Papua New Guinea, had a couple of chances.

This can only be a good omen for the future of the Olympic movement.

Iceland will also win a medal (there fourth ever), either a gold or a silver, in men's Handball. Its a major upset that Iceland made it to the Olympic final (they didn't even qualify for the 2009 world championships...), and I hope they defeat France to give Iceland there first ever Olympic gold.

Well the top isn't a surprise. There wasn't much doubt that China would dominate in golds and the US would dominate in total medals.

Congrats to Tajikistan, Togo, and Afghanistan for winning their first medals (did I forget anyone?). What a great Olympics for Great Britain too.

Mauritius won there first ever medal (bronze) in men's Boxing (Bantamweight). Serbia won its first medal as an independent country (Montenegro could very well do the same, but they have to beat Serbia in the men's Water Polo bronze medal match). Bahrain also won its first ever medal (a gold in the men's 1500m).

OK, I've compared the current medal table to the one of Athens and to what I remember from past Olympic Summer Games ... so here is my "vote" for current "losers" or "winners" of Beijing :

WINNERS :) :

China - Beijing 45 15 21 ; Athens 32 17 14

... nothing to talk about, just incredibly dominant in almost every sport, congrats to the host !

Great Britain - Beijing 17 11 11 ; Athens 9 9 12

... good job, and more is to expect from such a team in four years in London ... especially an impressive cycling dominance !

Jamaica - Beijing 4 3 0 ; Athens 2 1 2

... and the relays are still to come ... Jamaicas sprinters have overtaken the US-equipe which dominated the short running distances

Georgia

... don't want to compare the medals to Athens, pretty similar, but a really good result for this country, which is severely damaged by the current war

LOSERS :( :

Russia - Beijing 15 14 19 ; Athens 27 29 38

... yes, some medals will still come up for them, sure ... but the old mark will not be reached any more ... guess that China and Russia have strenghts in lots

of same sports such as weight lifting, gymnastics, ... thats probably the main reason for that

Cuba - Beijing 1 6 6 ; Athens 9 7 11

... OK, the boxing nation is still waiting for the final days, and some medals will surely be in Cuban hands after that, but the 9 golds ? no way !

Bulgaria - Beijing 1 1 3 ; Athens 2 1 9

... well, BUL hasn't really done well in Athens either, but compared to what Bulgaria once was in sports - shameful result ... and the 12 medals of Athens won't

be easy to get during the last days - let's see how the rhytmical gymnasts do in Beijing

Greece - Beijing 0 1 2 ; Athens 6 6 4

... yes, Greece was the host in Athens, but nevertheless I remember Greek athletes being strong in weight lifting, wrestling, some in rowing, athletics, ... and

now ?!?

Sweden - Beijing 0 3 1 ; Athens 4 2 1

... hard to imagine that Sweden once was one of the strongest summer nations in the first Olympics, this year nobody even realizes them in the medal table

Brazil - Beijing 1 1 5 ; Athens 5 2 3

... what a big country, what a bad result for them ... where are the track & field successes, the equestrians, the beach volleyball golds ?!

I wouldn't agree with FRA, ITA und UKR being losers this year ... France has won a lot of medals in Beijing, just a lack of gold for them this time ; Italy has done really well in Athens (better than average), and still there are some Italian medals to come in Beijing, same for the Ukraine.

I would put new zealand in the winners column with 9 medals at these games which is up from 4, 5 and 6 from the past three games

Another success story, albeit on a smaller scale, is South Korea's new record of 13 gold medals, surpassing their previous 12 golds in Seoul and Barcelona. I'm also pleased with their 31 total medals (falling short of only Seoul '88) and another top 7-10 finish. Now they need to start aiming higher. I want those lucrative swimming medals!

Another success story, albeit on a smaller scale, is South Korea's new record of 13 gold medals, surpassing their previous 12 golds in Seoul and Barcelona. I'm also pleased with their 31 total medals (falling short of only Seoul '88) and another top 7-10 finish. Now they need to start aiming higher. I want those lucrative swimming medals!

Yes,I noted South Korea's great showing finishing ahead of Japan (with more than twice the population) and other usually Olympic high-performers like France and Italy.Well done! :)

What events did you win most of your medals in (pardon my ignorance)?

China just got their 50th gold medal and their 98th overall. They'll definitely get 100 medals overall having 2 other boxers in the finals who are competing later today.

Ha!! They overshot their goal of 88 medals!! Getting 100 is BAD LUCK!! More earthquakes and floods will follow in September -- old Confucius prophecy.

With the Games just a few minutes away from being officially closed, I must admit that I'm pretty satisfied with our team's performance in Beijing. We haven't won as many medals as in Athens (18 to 19), but we have won 2 more golds. We still aren't able to arrive to the apparently unreachable mark of 20 medals but, who knows, maybe we will finally surpass in London the metals obtained in Barcelona'92 :D

Here's our historical ranking (G-S-B: T)

1. Barcelona 1992 13-7-2: 22 [first by total number of medals]

2. Beijing 2008 5-10-3: 18 [third by total number of medals]

3. Atlanta 1996 5-6-6: 17

4. Athens 2004 3-11-5: 19 [second by total number of medals]

5. Sydney 2000 3-3-5: 11

6. Moscow 1980 1-3-2: 6

7. Los Ángeles 1984 1-2-2: 5

8. Seoul 1988 1-1-2: 4

9. Amsterdam 1928 1-0-0: 1

9. Paris 1900 1-0-0: 1

10. Antwerp 1920 0-2-0: 2

10. Montreal 1976 0-2-0: 2

11. Helsinki 1952 0-1-0: 1

11. London 1948 0-1-0: 1

12. Los Ángeles 1932 0-0-1: 1

12. Munich 1972 0-0-1: 1

12. Rome 1960 0-0-1: 1

Well done team gb!

4th place and our best ever results since london 1908!!

Now where's that australian sports minister who has to wear a team gb polo shirt hehe!

Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze TOTAL

1 China 51 21 28 100

2 USA 36 38 36 110

3 Russia 23 21 28 72

4 Great Britain 19 13 15 47

5 Germany 16 10 15 41

6 Australia 14 15 17 46

7 South Korea 13 10 8 31

8 Japan 9 6 10 25

9 Italy 8 10 10 28

10 France 7 16 17 40

Well done team gb!

4th place and our best ever results since london 1908!!

Now where's that australian sports minister who has to wear a team gb polo shirt hehe!

I believe there was also a case of champagne for ever medal difference as well. I'm sure some nice Aussie vintages are on their way over.

Mmmmm I could win a gold medal in supping a spot of bubbly!

I think we've got the best deal vintage champagne from oz. a bottle of wkd or iron bru from us lol!

Yes,I noted South Korea's great showing finishing ahead of Japan (with more than twice the population) and other usually Olympic high-performers like France and Italy.Well done! :)

What events did you win most of your medals in (pardon my ignorance)?

No pardon needed. ;)

Korea didn't really have any dominant sport like Australia with swimming or the US with swimming/athletics. They did win 5 medals in archery, and 4 each in Taekwondo and Judo, but they still won a medal in 14 different sports. And of course my favourite was Park Tae-Hwan, the 18 year old (turning 19) who won Korea's first-ever medals in swimming, with a gold in the 400 metre freestyle, and silver in the 200 metre freestyle (losing gold to Phelps). Park has become larger than life in Korea these days due to the significance of his medals. Hopefully he'll be back in London with a vengeance!

Turkey was definitely a "loser" in this year's Olympic games.

Not only did we earn 2 medals less than what we earned in Athens, but we also just barely exceeded half of the medal amount we had hoped to gain. Our National Olympic commitee had set an unrealisitic goal of 15 but had to settle with 8. The reason that led to this failure was because a lot of our medals hopefulists were either knocked off early in matches like wrestling as well as boxing , or they couldn't do the required amount of lifting in weightlifting to get them a medal around their necks.

There's a bit of a controversy going on in Turkey right now, as to what needs to be done so that this scenario wont have to repeat its self in four years from now. A lot of suggestions and proposal are being offered but hopefully they'll put their words into action.