Medal Tables

Lee

Just comparing the final medal table from Athens against the current Beijing medal table. It seems that Russia is really having a hard time these games. I realise that Russia will come back with the Atheltics events but the difference is huge between Athens and Beijing. I wonder if the Russians downfall is because China is stealing medals from them in the events that Russia would normally do quite well in.

Athens 2004(Top 10 final)

Gold Silver Bronze Total

United States 35 39 29 103

China 32 17 14 63

Russia 27 27 37 91

Australia 17 16 16 49

Japan 16 9 12 37

Germany 14 16 18 48

France 11 9 13 33

Italy 10 11 12 33

Korea, South 9 12 9 30

GB 9 9 11 29

Beijing 2008 (Top 10 so far)

Gold Silver Bronze Total

China 32 13 13 61

United States 19 21 25 65

GB 11 6 8 25

Germany 9 6 6 21

Australia 8 10 11 29

Korea, South 8 9 5 22

Japan 8 5 7 20

Russia 7 12 12 31

Italy 6 6 6 18

Ukraine 5 3 6 14

Well, a bit too early to make definitve conculsions yet. That said, it's obvious that Britain and China are the huge improvers. No surprises there for the incumbent and next hosts. I'm really pleased to see GB set themselves up so well for London _ they're doing even better than I expected.

Australia was almost certainly going to go down _ 17 Gold at Athens was our best ever result and was unlikely to be maintained. I'm confident we will get double figure golds, and maybe match or come close to our overall medal best. I'm most intrigued by the Battle of the Medal Ashes between Oz and GB _ I think they could top us in gold, but we may finish with more overall. Or maybe not. As I said, a week to go, anything can happen. Delhi 2010 and London 2012 are going to be classic contests between Oz and GB for bragging rights.

The US are usually strong in both weeks of the games, with swimming in the first and atheletics in the second. They haven't had a great start to the track events yet, though. It could be a slump for them this time around.

Germany were doing well but seem to have hit a wall again. Still, I think we may se Germany and GB fight for 3rd and fourth. Italy also have had a good first wek, but where's the French?

Yes, Russia seem to have suffered the most by the Chinese Great Leap Forward. But then again, we thought the same at this stage in Athens.

The other ASians, Japan and Korea, are going well.

Edited by Sir Roltel

Russia, Ukraine and Cuba are losing out in Beijing. But the Asian are doing well ! China, Japan & Korea up there ! Malaysia got is first medal since 1996, Singapore since 1960 . I think the US will close the gap thanks to Track & Field but China will still have more golds.

Russia, Ukraine and Cuba are losing out in Beijing. But the Asian are doing well ! China, Japan & Korea up there ! Malaysia got is first medal since 1996, Singapore since 1960 . I think the US will close the gap thanks to Track & Field but China will still have more golds.

Cuba usually does really well in the boxing events which medal on the last day of competition.

Britain is doing surprisingly well in Beijing, however, I don't really expect us to finish third in the medals table - fourth place was the target for London 2012 itself! I would expect Australia and perhaps Germany and Russia to match/beat our total.

Italy seemed to do well early on but they have seemed pretty static over the last few days. Really surprised by France though.

After painful first week, Canada is on track to do better that in Athens. We got nine medals in three day, and our best sport behind rowing (flatwater Canoing) is still to come. We could also win up to three medal in Taekwondo, and there are a couple of odd medal chances here and there (men's Triathlon, individual Show Jumping, the men's 800m, softball, men's trampoline, diving and mountain biking come to mind).

So, baring a disastrous last couple of days, we should do better that in Athens.

Athens 2004 Medal Table after the 2nd Monday; competition day 10

1. USA 23 25 17 65

2. China 23 15 12 50

3. Japan 15 8 8 31

4. Australia 13 9 13 35

5. France 9 7 9 25

6. Germany 8 10 11 29

7. Rumania 8 4 4 16

8. Ukraine 8 2 5 15

9. Great-Britain 7 8 7 22

10. Italy 7 6 7 20

11. Russia 6 16 19 41

12. South-Korea 6 10 5 21

13. Greece 5 2 2 9

14. Hungary 4 4 2 10

15. Holland 3 6 8 17

16. Turkey 3 0 1 4

17.Sweden 3 0 1 4

18. Belarus 2 3 6 11

19. Poland 2 2 3 7

20. Slovakia 2 2 1 5

China and Great-Britain still are the winners

France is doing well, but they have less golden medals than in Athens (4 instead of 9)

Japan is doing badly (31 medals in Athens: only 20 in Beijing)

The Netherlands have less medals than in Athens: hugh difference due to the swimming competition (1 in Beijing; 7 or 8 in Athens)

Greece, Rumania and Hungary have also less medals: Greece 3 instead of 9, Rumania 8 instead of 16, Hungary 5 instead of 10

What I find fascinating about China is the huge gold medal haul, but the comparatively lower haul of silver and bronze. The USA has an almost equal proportion of each. Although nothing to scoff at. Gold=winning. But just something interesting.

What I find fascinating about China is the huge gold medal haul, but the comparatively lower haul of silver and bronze. The USA has an almost equal proportion of each. Although nothing to scoff at. Gold=winning. But just something interesting.

The medal standings are a clear indication over the differences of training an funding styles. For China, its athletes to WIN in a certain number events forgoing earnest efforts others, many of the young athletes training full time as a "career", and for the US its to be highly competitive in a broad number events with well trained and trialed part time or college athletes.

Just look at Liu Xiang. I thought the media was joking when it said people were crying, left the stadium, and the government was calling. He was only ONE athlete! But that was an event China was EXPECTED to win. I don't remember one time when a medal contending US athlete with star power didn't win gold and had to endure that kind of tough scrutiny. George Bush didn't get up in Michelle Kwan's face in 2006 did he?

where do you get the day by day medal standings from athens? I'm trying to compare Team USA's pace from Athens to Beijing. Looks like the US won 6 more medals in Beijing than Athens after 11 days of competition.

I've been searching in the archives from "De Morgen", but unfortunately you have to be subscribed to the Belgian newspaper to have access.

MEDAL TABLE ATHENS 2004 AFTER THE 2ND WEDNESDAY

1 USA 25 28 22 75

2 China 24 16 12 52

3 Australia 16 10 15 41

4 Japan 15 9 9 33

5 Russia 13 19 21 53

6 France 10 7 9 26

7 Germany 9 11 13 33

8 Italy 8 6 8 22

9 Romania 8 4 4 16

10 Ukraine 8 3 6 17

11 Great-Britain 7 8 9 24

12 Korea 6 10 5 21

13 Greece 5 3 3 11

14 Holland 4 7 8 19

15 Hungary 4 6 1 11

16 Sweden 3 1 2 6

17 TurkeY 3 1 1 5

18 Canada 2 4 1 7

19 Belarus 2 3 7 12

20 Poland 2 2 4 8

Japan is in fact the biggest loser so far in the top 10

Sweden has lost her golden T&F generation from Athens: no gold for Olsson, Holm and Klüft (Klüft will compete in the long jump final later this week)

For France, there is a very clear trend that is keeping them down in the medal standings. Their women. French men have won 26 medals thus far. The women have taken home only 3 to date. If the "male only" rules of 1896 and the ancient Olympics still applied, France would be in 3rd or 4th spot.

Most other top finishing nations are about evenly split gender-wise, but American, Chinese, and Aussie women are really helping to bring home the medals for their countries.

OK, I've compared the current medal table to the one of Athens and to what I remember from past Olympic Summer Games ... so here is my "vote" for current "losers" or "winners" of Beijing :

WINNERS :) :

China - Beijing 45 15 21 ; Athens 32 17 14

... nothing to talk about, just incredibly dominant in almost every sport, congrats to the host !

Great Britain - Beijing 17 11 11 ; Athens 9 9 12

... good job, and more is to expect from such a team in four years in London ... especially an impressive cycling dominance !

Jamaica - Beijing 4 3 0 ; Athens 2 1 2

... and the relays are still to come ... Jamaicas sprinters have overtaken the US-equipe which dominated the short running distances

Georgia

... don't want to compare the medals to Athens, pretty similar, but a really good result for this country, which is severely damaged by the current war

LOSERS :( :

Russia - Beijing 15 14 19 ; Athens 27 29 38

... yes, some medals will still come up for them, sure ... but the old mark will not be reached any more ... guess that China and Russia have strenghts in lots

of same sports such as weight lifting, gymnastics, ... thats probably the main reason for that

Cuba - Beijing 1 6 6 ; Athens 9 7 11

... OK, the boxing nation is still waiting for the final days, and some medals will surely be in Cuban hands after that, but the 9 golds ? no way !

Bulgaria - Beijing 1 1 3 ; Athens 2 1 9

... well, BUL hasn't really done well in Athens either, but compared to what Bulgaria once was in sports - shameful result ... and the 12 medals of Athens won't

be easy to get during the last days - let's see how the rhytmical gymnasts do in Beijing

Greece - Beijing 0 1 2 ; Athens 6 6 4

... yes, Greece was the host in Athens, but nevertheless I remember Greek athletes being strong in weight lifting, wrestling, some in rowing, athletics, ... and

now ?!?

Sweden - Beijing 0 3 1 ; Athens 4 2 1

... hard to imagine that Sweden once was one of the strongest summer nations in the first Olympics, this year nobody even realizes them in the medal table

Brazil - Beijing 1 1 5 ; Athens 5 2 3

... what a big country, what a bad result for them ... where are the track & field successes, the equestrians, the beach volleyball golds ?!

I wouldn't agree with FRA, ITA und UKR being losers this year ... France has won a lot of medals in Beijing, just a lack of gold for them this time ; Italy has done really well in Athens (better than average), and still there are some Italian medals to come in Beijing, same for the Ukraine.

France is slowly losing : Atlanta were the best Games, Sydney was worse, Athens was worse than Sydney and this time it's accelerating.

Same for Italy: Atlanta as the maximum peak and then a slow defaillance from Sydney to Athens which anyway were two good expeditions for both countries.

This is getting faster in Beijing mostly cause the Chinese supremacy and GB's great exploit.