Sign in to follow this  
michaelb136

3rd & 4th In The Medal Table

P.S. - did you know that on a per-capita basis, the Aussies came in ahead of GB, China AND the U.S.? Congrats!

If one may see things in perspective, the US's 110 medal haul was only 10 more than China's 100. However, China's 51 Gold medals was streaks ahead of the US' 36. If it were to be considered a tie, China should be winning only 77.6 total medals, which it obviously outperformed.

i said the edge goes to china. i did not downplay their magnificent accomplishment. however, they still LOST in total number of medals won. lost lost lost. even with a hometown crowd and all those easy qualifies. lost. it could have been 101 to 100, they still lost. get over it. americans got over losing in the golds.

nobody's even talking about the olympics anymore. it's all about the DNC and fall tv.

Actually, if you would look back before posting, you would see that we in the US are not the ones trying to "adjust" the medal totals. They are what they are. We have always counted them one way - others another. Also we are not the ones whining about it - but if it makes you feel better, go ahead. :P

I read in an article that the Americans first used that ranking system during the cold war, when both the USSR and East Germany had more gold medals than the US. So the US media responded by ranking via total medals, which puts the US ahead of East Germany.

If this statement is indeed true, there goes the long repeated argument that "We (the US) have always counted them one way".

i said the edge goes to china. i did not downplay their magnificent accomplishment. however, they still LOST in total number of medals won. lost lost lost. even with a hometown crowd and all those easy qualifies. lost. it could have been 101 to 100, they still lost. get over it. americans got over losing in the golds.

Geez....I realised I may not be talking to an informed adult.

There has been numerous reports that hometown advantage are not always a plus point. Several Chinese athletes has cracked under the intense domestic pressure, the most famous being of course Liu Xiang. It would appear that the Chinese athletes face far greater pressure than, say, the Greeks do in Athens 2004.

Second, define "easy qualifies". China may be awarded a slot each in all events as the host country, but it still required every single one of them to meet the same qualification standard for other athletes. When we start seeing Chinese suddenly appearing frequently in the finals of the athletic and swimming events from out of the blue with sub-par personal bests, then your assumption may have some credit. Clearly, it has not.

Second, define "easy qualifies". China may be awarded a slot each in all events as the host country, but it still required every single one of them to meet the same qualification standard for other athletes. When we start seeing Chinese suddenly appearing frequently in the finals of the athletic and swimming events from out of the blue with sub-par personal bests, then your assumption may have some credit. Clearly, it has not.

they still had a clear advantage which the US did not. whether or not they capitalized on it--clearly you don't think they did--is irrelevant. even with this advantage they still couldn't win the most medals.

but it doesn't even really matter. few people care. so china won the most golds at home. good for them, no one's trying to take that away from them (apart, perhaps in gymnastics). every country deserves a moment like that, and even americans realize that. we don't think of china as some big, bad scary threat that we need to prove our superiority to every chance we get. i mean, without them where would we get all our poorly made electronics & plastic goods from?

but let's see how they do though next time without all these variables.

P.S. - did you know that on a per-capita basis, the Aussies came in ahead of GB, China AND the U.S.? Congrats!

so did new zealand lol

but it doesn't even really matter. few people care. so china won the most golds at home. good for them, no one's trying to take that away from them (apart, perhaps in gymnastics). every country deserves a moment like that, and even americans realize that. we don't think of china as some big, bad scary threat that we need to prove our superiority to every chance we get. i mean, without them where would we get all our poorly made electronics & plastic goods from?

but let's see how they do though next time without all these variables.

^^^

Another of the best quotes of the games.

Thank you - you have been a wonderful audience but I am now bored with this topic.

so did new zealand lol

Your right! I missed that - sorry ;)

Congrats NZ! YOU are one of the biggest medal winners!

There has been numerous reports that hometown advantage are not always a plus point. Several Chinese athletes has cracked under the intense domestic pressure, the most famous being of course Liu Xiang. It would appear that the Chinese athletes face far greater pressure than, say, the Greeks do in Athens 2004.

Mind you, Liu Xiang couldn't compete because of injury.

A good example would be Shooter, Du Li. She was expected to defend her title / win China's first Gold / win the first Gold of the Beijing Games, but finished in like 5th place (though she did go on two win in a later event).

A good example would be Shooter, Du Li. She was expected to defend her title / win China's first Gold / win the first Gold of the Beijing Games, but finished in like 5th place (though she did go on two win in a later event).

or the diver who at the last possible moment blew his lead and let the aussie take the gold.

True....but an athlete in normal circumstances would not choose to go out there despite being obviously injured prior to the event. The intense pressure may even be attributed to his recent injuries.

Well maybe Greece isnt in the top10 but they are in the 20 first countries. A fantastic performance buy the hellenic paralympic team and they surely deserve big respect as all athletes of the paralympics!

para2008mz8.gif

New Zealand are not doing to bad with 12 medals so far... China are bloody miles ahead

Singapore has really done well this year. This is the first time Singapore won medals in the Paralympics. We sent 5 paralympics and we've got 4 medals ! One Gold, One Silver and Two Bronze.

Sign in to follow this