Sign in to follow this  
michaelb136

3rd & 4th In The Medal Table

Are you pulling a Harold Bishop? Naugthy, Naughty Stu if you are! If not, I hope you get better soon. :)

I thought at first you were being a bit rude there Beth! Didn't realise you were just referring to a character from Neighbours!! :lol:

I'd better not say anymore.(Where's the icon for 'blush)'??

Edited by Mainad

Back on topic. Wow, Britain...you sure are doing Great! These are the country's second greatest games for gold medals (the London Games of a century ago were their best) and the 6th best medal haul overall of all time...and there are still quite a few days left! Looking good for 2012! Big change from 12 years ago when "God Save the Queen" played as many times in Atlanta as it will in this Sunday's handover ceremony...once!

Britain has won a silver and a bronze in the 10km swim and a bronze in the windsurfing so far this morning - this puts them ahead of Australia on total medals won as well as number of golds.

Russia won the gold medal in the 10km swim moving above Australia on the medals table.

Britain has won a silver and a bronze in the 10km swim and a bronze in the windsurfing so far this morning - this puts them ahead of Australia on total medals won as well as number of golds.

Russia won the gold medal in the 10km swim moving above Australia on the medals table.

Mate, I think we've long since stopped worrying about you guys moving above us on the table. Now we're cheering you on to stay in third. Keep those Russkis out, Britain!

Mate, I think we've long since stopped worrying about you guys moving above us on the table. Now we're cheering you on to stay in third. Keep those Russkis out, Britain!

I would prefer Australia to Russia myself - C'mon Oz!

What are Australia's remaining medal prospects?

I would prefer Australia to Russia myself - C'mon Oz!

What are Australia's remaining medal prospects?

Not a lot. Mainly team sposts like hockey and basketball (BTW, sorry to bundle you guys out of the men's hockey last night). You never know, a few might still pop-up in some of the less high-profile sports _ taekwando o BMX or whatever. Maybe some small change on the track. I haven't given up hope of reaching 13 gold, but not confident either.

BTW, sorry to bundle you guys out of the men's hockey last night

It's okay - I think we had to beat you by eight goals anyway so......

Well, we just beat Canada at softball, so we're guaranteed a medal there. We play Japan tonight for the right to play-off the US for Gold.

Hehe as mischievous as the thought might be, I do happen to be rooting for Britain to finish 3rd just to keep Russia out as well! :P

Well, Russia has a fairly firm lead on Britain in the overall medal count and one more gold and they will be tied for that. The Russians have suffered a tumble in the past few Olympiads, but they are not out of the race yet. I suspect that Britain's aim for 4th in London 2012 will be achieved in Beijing and there will be temptations to want to bump off Russia for 3rd.

Still there to be taken. The BMX, canoe flatwater and boxing and where we'll do it if we do.

Still there to be taken. The BMX, canoe flatwater and boxing and where we'll do it if we do.

Yes, if Shanaze Reade and Tim Brabants can produce their best they will surely deliver medals.

Do your boxing contingent stand a realistic chance of Gold, Arwebb?

(boxing isn't my forte)

Edited by Michelle®

It looks like Russia will take 3rd in the medal table (based on number of Gold medals won). With only three days to go, there are some strong Russian contenders still to compete in different events.

Great Britain only has one more sure-fire chance of a Gold, and that's in the Womens BMX. There are also medal chances in the Canoe Flatwater, Taekwondo, Boxing and Pentathlon, but none of them are realistically considered to be Gold medal chances. Though this is the Olympic Games, so anything can happen.

At best GB will finish with 18 Golds and if we're very lucky 19 or 20.

4th overall. I'll take that anyday! :P

There are also medal chances in the Canoe Flatwater, Taekwondo, Boxing and Pentathlon, but none of them are realistically considered to be Gold medal chances.

Tim Brabants is the reigning World Champion in the 1000m. That would seem to make him the main contender if not favourite.

Tim Brabants is the reigning World Champion in the 1000m. That would seem to make him the main contender if not favourite.

So he is. I happily stand corrected. Though GB were hot favourites to win the Mens 10K swim and Mens Triple Jump yesterday, but had to settle for Silvers instead.

I fully expect the Russians to overtake us into 3rd place at some point later today probably.It's been a great feeling having GB in 3rd position for most of this past week.I've kinda got used to it and it will be a bit sad if we finally lose it.But I always felt it was a bit unreal for us to be ahead of Russia,one of the trio of Olympic giants (along with the US and China) and always expected them to come back with a late surge which they now seem to be doing.(They have consistently been ahead of us on total medal count anyway).

If we finally finish 4th it will still be a great achievement for us and will have fully justified the GB Olympic team's aims of finishing in that position in 4 years time in London!! B)

Take a last look at the medals table with GBR in third place - I'm sure by the end of the day Russia will be in third instead. :(

Take a last look at the medals table with GBR in third place - I'm sure by the end of the day Russia will be in third instead. :(

i think so - but we just got another gold in the canoeing!

Go Britain for 3rd spot! But I do think Russia will get there

Sign in to follow this