3rd & 4th In The Medal Table

Oh, that is such a WIMPY way out. If you took home the MOST medals (combined), then YOU WON the Total Medal Count.

If you want to go with the short-sighted only-Gold medal count (thereby totally minimizing the efforts of the 2nd and 3rd placers), then you go with the Gold Medal count.

It's one or the other -- not a Maybe or there isn't. Please get a spine.

There you go. Picking another stupid fight, aren't you? As one of the older members here, you'd think you'd act maturely . . .

I'm just stating the facts. There is no official leader in the medal counts, whether you like it or not.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There you go. Picking another stupid fight, aren't you? As one of the older members here, you'd think you'd act maturely . . .

I'm just stating the facts. There is no official leader in the medal counts, whether you like it or not.

Then why do the media post the lists and the Top Countries? To me that's Official enough -- whether you like it or not.

And sticking to one's principles has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your so-called view of maturity or not... :rolleyes:

Then why do the media post the lists and the Top Countries? To me that's Official enough -- whether you like it or not.

And sticking to one's principles has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your so-called view of maturity or not... :rolleyes:

Oh, and we all know how high and mighty those principles are. :lol:

Get off your high horse.

Well, those that said Russia was relegated to a great defeat have been proven wrong. No longer the mighty Soviet Empire and still off from Athens and Sydney, but for them to hold on to third above a British surge and survive the Chinese assault is still a commendable performance.

No. If you will look at the more credible and COMPLETE history books, they always show Gold, Silver and Bronze rankings. If only the Gold medals mattered, then why bother with elaborate medal ceremonies and putting all 3 winners on equally elaborate podia? :blink:

Then in that case, why award medals only to the top three finishers? Why not give a medal to all qualifyers, and rank nations by qualification instead?

Ranking by who comes in first is non-disputable, in that there can (usually) be only one winner. Including the second best, and the next second best, inevitably draws questions on why the next next second best can't be included as well...and the debate rages on....

I understood that it was only North America that listed medal tables on total medals rather than golds.

Well,whichever system you want to use...GB finished in 4th place! :)

Edited by Mainad

Well,whichever system you want to use...GB finished in 4th place! :)

This whole thing as to whose medal count is what is stupid.

I am thrilled at GB's finish (even tho it as the expense of my fav country Australia) Bravo! ;)

I think the answer lies in a mathematical calculation based on the following:

100 for Gold

50 for Silver

40 for Bronze

I think it reflects the true order of team performance and gives a clearer idea of the difference between teams. The real winner using this method would be France. This gives a much clearer representation of French success than the actual medal table suggests.

Heres what the new table would look like using this forumla.

1st - China 7270 points (same position)

2nd - USA 6940 points (same position)

3rd - Russia 4470 points (same position)

4th - GBR 3150 points (same position)

5th - Australia 2830 points (up 1 place)

6th - Germany 2700 points (down 1 place)

7th - France 2180 points (up 3 places)

8th - Korea 2120 points (down 1 place)

9th - Italy 1700 points (same position)

10th - Japan 1600 points (down 2 places)

Yeah, I'm a geek and proud of it :D

100 for Gold

50 for Silver

40 for Bronze

I think it reflects the true order of team performance and gives a clearer idea of the difference between teams. The real winner using this method would be France. This gives a much clearer representation of French success than the actual medal table suggests.

Lee...

1. Why would you have to bother with a value assignment?

2. How can the US and China be in the same positions if IN TOTAL medals won, the USA is first and China is second? :blink:

So, do people in the US believe they topped the medals table???

i think winning the most amount of medals period is a fantastic accomplishment. they could have all been bronze, quite honestly. it's still outstanding, and something china was unable to do at their own olympics.

however, i know full well how badly we got our asses kicked in the gold medal haul. i'd like to say that china and we both topped the medal table, but i can give the edge to china, if for no other reason than it was their olympics and our athletes took the silver and bronze to china's gold WAY too frequently. china really had the better team. they didn't have phelps or bolt, but they did have some incredible, disciplined and consistent athletes.

Edited by krow

100 for Gold

50 for Silver

40 for Bronze

Oh Jesus Christ - now you just look pathetic.

Here - here's another way to access the votes. Do a mathematical calculation on this:

Jamaica Is The Biggest Medal Winner In Bejing.

Oh dear - Britain placed after Australia - again.

And the US over China . . . -_-

You Brits are so cute sometimes. ;)

Been there; done that. People just see it as it is; as it is flashed on the sports channels:

Cumulatively, the US came out ahead.

In Golds, China got the most.

Make of it what you will...but we've moved on to another day...

"And that's the way it is, Thursday, August 28th, 2008. This is Walter Cronkhite, CBS News. Goodnight."

Edited by LA84

i think winning the most amount of medals period is a fantastic accomplishment. they could have all been bronze, quite honestly. it's still outstanding, and something china was unable to do at their own olympics.

however, i know full well how badly we got our asses kicked in the gold medal haul. i'd like to say that china and we both topped the medal table, but i can give the edge to china, if for no other reason than it was their olympics and our athletes took the silver and bronze to china's gold WAY too frequently. china really had the better team. they didn't have phelps or bolt, but they did have some incredible, disciplined and consistent athletes.

If one may see things in perspective, the US's 110 medal haul was only 10 more than China's 100. However, China's 51 Gold medals was streaks ahead of the US' 36. If it were to be considered a tie, China should be winning only 77.6 total medals, which it obviously outperformed.

Americans just can't hack it that they lost the olympics. They can't bear the thought that a bigger and better communist equivalent to the USSR has come to spoil their arrogant party. Better get used to it, China's not going anywhere!

Americans just can't hack it that they lost the olympics. They can't bear the thought that a bigger and better communist equivalent to the USSR has come to spoil their arrogant party. Better get used to it, China's not going anywhere!

Don't distort things. Show me where has the USA downplayed China's Olympic victories? :angry:

Don't be absurd & ridiculous.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

This is such a STUPID argument. So I guess, according to other peoples "logic", that Australia's 32 OTHER medals (besides their only 14 Golds) means sh!t, & Brazil's OTHER 12 medals (besides the mere 3 Golds that they got) also means merde. Along with Russia's OTHER 49 medals = "worthless", & not to mention Great Britain's OTHER 28 medals versus their 19 Golds; also "garbage". THOSE athletes should never be allowed to represent their country's again at the Olympics for doing so poorly. China rules. Especially at those subjective judging competitions like Gymnastics & using under age children for them. :rolleyes:

Obviously you didn't get the sarcasm. You just saw Germany & freaked-out. :rolleyes:

Huh? I wrote my comment even before I read your Germany comment (which I didn't find offensive anyway). I just criticised your sour grapes about how most medal tables around the world are calculated -- giving China the lead over the USA. What's the fuzz? Is it that important for your personal well-being if the USA retain the medal table lead one more time?

Actually, if you would look back before posting, you would see that we in the US are not the ones trying to "adjust" the medal totals. They are what they are. We have always counted them one way - others another. Also we are not the ones whining about it - but if it makes you feel better, go ahead. :P