3rd & 4th In The Medal Table

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think so - but we just got another gold in the canoeing!

18 Golds So Far Bleedin Hell! Yeah! Well done Time

Tim_Brabants_300x400.JPG

Sorry the whole presentation of my post and the spelling went out of the window, far too excited lol. Also one of our boxers is now guaranteed a Gold or Silver.

So who's first in OVerall medals?

the usofa of course!

thought it was hilarious when i looked on the nbc website and saw that the yanks were using a medal table that ranked nations by overall medal numbers - every other country seems to use the number of golds as the way of ranking nations!!

i guess if china had the largest number of overall medals and the usofa had the highest number of golds nbc would do it the other way round. is this first time nbc has done it this way?

so sad and pathetic that america must be top at all times.

i guess if china had the largest number of overall medals and the usofa had the highest number of golds nbc would do it the other way round. is this first time nbc has done it this way?

No, NBC and all other American sources always rank the medal table by the total number of medals.

By the way, it seems as if the US team will beat its medal totals of Athens 2004. There, they had 103 medals and won the 100th only on the next-to-last or even the last day of competition. Now, they've broken that barrier already on the second-next-to-last day! Now they're probably striving for more than 108 medals, because then they would have the highest number of Olympic medals since Los Angeles 1984.

I'm pretty confident they will beat that mark. They have in theory already met it because both basketball and both indoor volleyball teams are in the gold final so that's medals 101, 102, 103, and 104 for sure, and so far the decathlon is being dominated. Also they're in the men's water polo semis with serbia. 3/4 raw chance there will be a medal result.

On a side note, because of the double bronze medals in boxing, Moldova, Ireland, and Mauritius are guaranteed to have a medal because of their boxers in semifinal bouts.

I think the United States are the only country to rank on overall medals won. Anything to keep on top ;)

We've always ranked by overall. Even back during the Soviet and East German doping days when we placed 2nd and 3rd.

Anyway, congrats to GB for currently being in 4th place in the standings! :P

Edited by LA84

So does Canada, in joining the Americans in ranking medal wins by overall total. I think these two countries are the major holdouts in this matter, while the rest of the world see China as the "real winner" of the medal tally so far because of GOLD MEDALS WON. Besides, there is no prize to contest in doing so and for a very good reason. It can be demoralizing to the overall Olympic Movement, if such a prize were to be created. There is quite enough nationalistic chauvinism in the world as is right now.

We've always ranked by overall. Even back during the Soviet and East German doping days when we placed 2nd and 3rd.

Anyway, congrats to GB for currently being in 4th place in the standings! :P

isn`t it a strange way to rank though? *scratches head* you Americans ;p

isn`t it a strange way to rank though? *scratches head* you Americans ;p

No. If you will look at the more credible and COMPLETE history books, they always show Gold, Silver and Bronze rankings. If only the Gold medals mattered, then why bother with elaborate medal ceremonies and putting all 3 winners on equally elaborate podia? :blink:

If only the Gold medals mattered, then why bother with elaborate medal ceremonies and putting all 3 winners on equally elaborate podia? :blink:

Surely that's an arguement against the US's system of medal tables. :rolleyes:

No. If you will look at the more credible and COMPLETE history books, they always show Gold, Silver and Bronze rankings.

Those are probably American books you're talking about. Here in Germany, for example, the Olympic history books use the same "gold medals count first" system as the German media.

Only because the Americans use a different system, it's not the only valid one.

There's no official medal count anyway, so there's no true wrong or right way to count medals.

Well the official one is the olympics.com / beijing2008.com it is the olympics after all.

I had a quick nosey around a few media websites from around the world (inc elpais, bild, lefigaro, bbc, abc australia, and a few brazilians ones) and they all do their tables based on the number of gold medals.

Each to there own on the tables but the official one must be the olympics one. isn't it? isn't it....

Oh, that is such a WIMPY way out. If you took home the MOST medals (combined), then YOU WON the Total Medal Count.

If you want to go with the short-sighted only-Gold medal count (thereby totally minimizing the efforts of the 2nd and 3rd placers), then you go with the Gold Medal count.

It's one or the other -- not a Maybe or there isn't. Please get a spine.