3rd & 4th In The Medal Table

What does everybody think? I can't believe the success team GB are having, I'm always optimistic, but it put everything into context today when I realised they have already beaten their gold medal tallies from Sydney and Athens.... can they hold on to 3rd place?!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russia will improve its medal count significantly with the help of the athletics events.

However, it could really become a tough fight for the third rank. In terms of Team Germany, I expect them to rank 5th in the end.

Mainly the womens field events.

Russia is performing at expectations I believe. The country's athletes are always at the forefront of doping scandals and the rosters have been shaken up to avoid as much scrutiny as possible, even though it means lower performances.

I think if Great Britain can cement their status in the cycling by winning 3 more golds tomorrow (they are favorites in all three events), combined with strong performances in the Sailing, BMX & Canoing (Tim Brabants is favorite to defeat the Canadian and German opposition in 2 races) and with a flurry of medals in Boxing, Triple Jump, Womens 400M & good performances in the modern pentathlon and open water swimming.... Britain could easily achieve 18 or 19 Golds come the end, making them the 3rd nation behind China and the U.S.

I suspect Russia will be fourth.

Belgium and Ireland are having a shocking Olympics.

I think if Great Britain can cement their status in the cycling by winning 3 more golds tomorrow (they are favorites in all three events), combined with strong performances in the Sailing, BMX & Canoing (Tim Brabants is favorite to defeat the Canadian and German opposition in 2 races) and with a flurry of medals in Boxing, Triple Jump, Womens 400M & good performances in the modern pentathlon and open water swimming.... Britain could easily achieve 18 or 19 Golds come the end, making them the 3rd nation behind China and the U.S.

It seems achievable.But,as you say,it will all depend on whether each of these medal hopefuls will achieve their potential.

But whether they manage to do so or not,this is turning out to be an amazing Olympics for Team GB!

I suspect Russia will be fourth.

I don't understand what has happened to mighty Russia this time around.Have other nations been stealing their best medal hopes? I keep expecting that they must make a late surge this week and eventually overtake us to assume their usual spot at the top alongside China and the US!

Fingers crossed that both will make an appearance on the medal table sometime this week!

What does everybody think? I can't believe the success team GB are having, I'm always optimistic, but it put everything into context today when I realised they have already beaten their gold medal tallies from Sydney and Athens.... can they hold on to 3rd place?!

I think considering Great Britain will be the next hosts, it's only right that we try and improve upon the usual 9th or 10th place positioning in the medal table. I'm very pleased that we're doing so well. It's testament to some great athletes, seeing as the UK has in the past suffered from a very poor sporting facilities. We're still not where we should be, but London 2012 has brought about a great deal of investment into creating better facilities.

For such a small island nation, if we finish 3rd overall it will be an amazing achievement. This will be even better than the 4th overall position Team GB were wanting for 2012.

However, it's only 3rd in terms on Gold Medals. Networks such as NBC are all about quantity, not quality. In terms of quantity I think we're currently 5th or 6th. In this context, other European countries such as France and Germany are having a storming Olympics. Team GB is nowhere near those kind of quantities just yet.

It would be a phenomenal achievement for Britain to finish third in the medals table as fourth was given as our target for 2012. Whether or not we do hold on to third place the success of the British team this year has caused so much pride in this country and a lot of excitement. We're use to having success and disappointment in equal measure at the Olympics - this year the successes seem to be more numerous.

Can't wait until tomorrow!

I think Russia will be making a surge when T&F gets done + in Basketball and Volleyball. So, it'll be Russia and/or Oz for 3rd and 4th.

Russia aren't the force they use to be in T&F.

Where do you see their gold medals coming from exactly?

Lukyanenko in the pole vault & Lebedeva in the long jump are the only gold medals I forsee for Team Russia in the Athletics events...(other than the ones they have already won)

Edited by Michelle®

What's happened to the Belgians this time round? I noticed last night they hadn't got on the board yet.

As for the Irish, they've got some high hopes in the boxing ring with a couple of really decent fighters from what I've seen.

China's rise has to come at the expense of someone. The biggest victims of that compared to Athens appear to be Russia and Japan. Though Russia will make some strides in the second week when athletics kicks up into high gear. In the long run, China's rise has hurt Russia, Germany, and other European sporting powers. The USA is still holding its own against China. Golds are a bit down, but they are on pace for their regular ~100 medal haul.

Russia will probably make it back to third spot. But fourth? Toss up. Britain, Australia, Germany, France...all have potential to get in there. At least in total medal count. France needs more gold medal performances to stay in on that one, where as the UK has done very very well on that front.

What's happened to the Belgians this time round? I noticed last night they hadn't got on the board yet.

As for the Irish, they've got some high hopes in the boxing ring with a couple of really decent fighters from what I've seen.

Well to be fair, we didn't do that well at Athens either - only collecting one gold there.

I don't see us winning any medals this year, which is so disappointing. We have underperformed in almost every sport. As for France, they aren't doing much better. 4 Golds so far, is well short of expectations.

China's rise has to come at the expense of someone. The biggest victims of that compared to Athens appear to be Russia and Japan. Though Russia will make some strides in the second week when athletics kicks up into high gear.

Athletics? Again... I am unsure why you think Russia's strength lies in Athletics? They don't really have that many more chances of Gold in the birds nest... or am I missing something?

Surely their best hops of more golds in the 2nd week come from Synchronize Swimming & Wrestling? But Russia's dominance in the T&F arena is over.

Edited by Michelle®

Toss up. Britain, Australia, Germany, France...all have potential to get in there.

France has next to no chance of getting third. they'd have to get at least 3/4 Gold medals more than what they got in Athens. Simply, not gonna happen.

Germany would need to be superior in the Canoing to stand any chance of getting third. Still wondering where any more Gold medals for Australia are going to come........

France has next to no chance of getting third. they'd have to get at least 3/4 Gold medals more than what they got in Athens. Simply, not gonna happen.

Germany would need to be superior in the Canoing to stand any chance of getting third. Still wondering where any more Gold medals for Australia are going to come........

I agree. That's why I said 4th. In total medal count.

But today, France is currently in 5th spot (28 medals). Behind Australia (33). Russia is currently 3rd (36). China's gold medal haul has hurt these countries in the top podium position. But at this stage, Britain (27), Russia, France, and Australia are all a few medals apart with Germany and South Korea a bit behind (23 each). So I think of the top five, there is a huge contest for 4th and 5th positions.

Edited by Kendegra

Australia's still alive in a few team comps with good chances (men's hockey, women's basketball). We still could pick up stuff in sports like like canoeing, kayaking, sailing. We have only miracle Gold hopes on the track, unfortunately, but could pick up some more shrapnel there if lucky. I'm still hopeful we may be able to equal our pre-Sydney best of 13 Gold. But that's not gonna keep us fourth, I fear.

I really can't see the UK finishing lower than fourth now with more cycling track gold ahead and I'm sure a few more prospects to come up elsewhere. Germany's just picked up Triathlon and I'm sure will pick up a few more elsewhere in the days ahead. Yeah, it'll be the Russians who could be the dark horses in these final days. And don't rule out the Asians - Japan and Korea would surely have some hopes in a few events yet.

GB, Germany and Russia could well take out the 3rd-5th spots, but Australia, Japan or Korea all have a chance of sneaking in there.

Edited by Sir Roltel