Chicago 2016 Venues

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ehmm...I dunno how they are going to secure (a beach for) an OV??? :blink:

I think this concept will have to be rethought.

Currently that beach doesn't exist, so they can tailor it to be more secure. On the waterfront side, everything should be OK, as "Olympic Harbor" will be to the south. Lake Shore Drive cuts right between the OV and the beach. It is going to be challenging, especially with the high density on the southside, but since the whole area is going to be redeveloped, one would think that parameters can be more easily secured.

Currently that beach doesn't exist, so they can tailor it to be more secure. On the waterfront side, everything should be OK, as "Olympic Harbor" will be to the south. Lake Shore Drive cuts right between the OV and the beach. It is going to be challenging, especially with the high density on the southside, but since the whole area is going to be redeveloped, one would think that parameters can be more easily secured.

It's NOT the land approaches. It's the wide open water. Or is this NOT really attached to the Village? I mean you can have a beach that's under 24-hour patrol with dogs and Coast Guard boats out there. Even Barcelona (nor Rio) did NOT dare do a beachside OV because it is indefensable to the open water NOT unless you put a fence. Then what would the point be?

I don't think the IOC will be too cool tothe idea.

It's NOT the land approaches. It's the wide open water. Or is this NOT really attached to the Village? I mean you can have a beach that's under 24-hour patrol with dogs and Coast Guard boats out there. Even Barcelona (nor Rio) did NOT dare do a beachside OV because it is indefensable to the open water NOT unless you put a fence. Then what would the point be?

The beach is on the other side of a 6 lane motorway so there's a new pedestrian bridge connecting the two. The bid book does detail the level of security (land and water) that will be in place--the lake is seen as a barrier. The other important thing is that the lake isn't on an international border, it's completely within the US borders.

CHItown '16

Olympic Stadium

33012.jpg

I don't think the Olympic Stadium looks temporary. The seating bowl looks similar to London's original design for their 2012 Olympic Stadium. You can only dismantle the stands to the right of this rendering and let the stands to the left remain permanent. Do you want me to build a 10,000-seat permanent tier and construct a huge, 70,000-seat temporary tier for the stadium? It would be difficult to design an Olympic Stadium in which less than 20,000 seats are permanent.

Come into a major port in the US without the Coast Guard coming up to you without a 40 Cal machine gun on deck Manned.

Then put that in context of the Olympics let alone any post 911. That would not be overlooked for security with what happened in Mumbai India.

jim jones

The beach is on the other side of a 6 lane motorway so there's a new pedestrian bridge connecting the two. The bid book does detail the level of security (land and water) that will be in place--the lake is seen as a barrier. The other important thing is that the lake isn't on an international border, it's completely within the US borders.

CHItown '16

So what? That doesn't mean would-be terrorists who have slipped thru the 'regular' borders still cannot launch a marine assault from, say, the Michigan side of the lake. So there will be signs all over the 5 great lakes saying: DO NOT LAUNCH A TERRORIST ATTACK ON THE CHICAGO OLYMPIC VILLAGE & SHORE!!" And like the do-badders would read & respect that? :blink:

hmmm...Mumbai 2008? You'd be terribly naive to think that just because those are local lakes, they still cannot be used to launch an attack??

The McCormick Place - Lake Michigan Sports Complex is hosting about 11 different events and overlooks a few of the water events and the Northerly Island events.

I'm imagining that the set up would like an Olympics Shopping Center or an Olympics Airport.

CHItown'16

That's different. Those are ENCLOSED, venues that really have NO OPEN access to the lakefront.

The OV Beach is being touted (I haven't read the full details yet) as a beach where the athletes can let their hard down. The problem is...where you 'let your hair down" is where you become most vulnerable and open for a surprise attack. And what is the traditional definition of a leisure beach? An OPEN WATER front? Duh. So, it will be a beach where they can relax but with water security boats patrolling 24 hours a day; dog patrols and helicopters buzzing around during daylight hours. Floodlights at night.

Really a dumb idea.

That's different. Those are ENCLOSED, venues that really have NO OPEN access to the lakefront.

The OV Beach is being touted (I haven't read the full details yet) as a beach where the athletes can let their hard down. The problem is...where you 'let your hair down" is where you become most vulnerable and open for a surprise attack. And what is the traditional definition of a leisure beach? An OPEN WATER front? Duh. So, it will be a beach where they can relax but with water security boats patrolling 24 hours a day; dog patrols and helicopters buzzing around during daylight hours. Floodlights at night.

Really a dumb idea.

Sounds like a pretty typical waterfront security setup and what we see on an ordinary beach on an ordinary weekend in Chicago (without the Olympics). Doesn't get in the way of enjoying the beach. The US Coast Guard and other armed forces and marine police are pretty well accustomed to securing thousands of miles of International water boundaries. A completely enclosed domestic waterway (with the nearest other country Canada) shouldn't be that much of a stretch. Are you suggesting that Olympics are too sensitive to locate next to a large body of water (this would rule out every 2016 candidate other than Madrid, it seems and make the previous Olympics in Athens, Barcelona, LA, London, and Sydney reckless).

I think that Olympics security has matured enough that most NOCs aren't enforcing room curfews for the athletes.

CHItown '16

Archived