Track Cycling

theone

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant Bronze for New Zealand. This is our second medal on the track which is the best ever for new zealand! Amazing and it is also the first time we have beaten Australia in the team pursuit in a head to head match since the gold medal ride off in the 1990 Auckland commonwealth games. AMAZING

And OMG _ is there anything on the track GB can't do? And to smash the record! Amazing!

Congratulations Britain, that's the Gold that takes you above Aus back into third spot and cements you as THE cycling superpower (as if that wasn't in doubt in Beijing already). Truly impressive.

It was amazing seeing how Britain won the team pursuit and there's so much more to come tomorrow! I saw Victoria Pendleton's sprint qualifying - it looked as if the other athlete had stopped she excellerated so quickly and pulled away at an amazing pace. There's also the Madison and the men's sprint tomorrow.

I've never felt such confidence before about success for our athletes - I think there will be three more gold medals, four if you count the men's laser sailing which has virtually already been won. Then a possible medal in the women's 400m.

This time tomorrow Britain may have 16 gold medals :o

News from Malaysia on Azizulhasni Awang

Azizulhasni Ends Debut With Battling Finish Against World Champion

BEIJING, Aug 18 (Bernama) -- Cyclist Azizulhasni Awang ended his Olympics debut with a rousing sprint against world champion Chris Hoy in the individual quarterfinals.

Although he lost, he was given a pat on the back by several other teams for giving the much-experienced Briton a tough fight.

"I'm proud and encouraged because many of the other teams praised me. In the first race, I tried to follow him closely until half of the final lap and tried to overtake him and it was close," said the pint-size rider who tailed across by less than a wheel.

Azizulhasni said that overall he was satisfied with the unexpected Olympics outing because he was targeting the 2012 London Olympics.

"I had not expected to all of a sudden qualify for Beijing. But this is a good preparation for London," he said.

The 20-year-old who made headlines by emerging as the Asian sprint and keirin champion this year said he had learnt a valuable lesson from his tactical blunder in the keirin.

"I don't know how it happened. I wanted to stay in front but somehow I was at the back . I will not make this mistake again." said Azizulhasni who failed to qualify into the keirin final.

For Azizulhasni, the only non-Caucasian in the last eight, the opportunity to race against Hoy clearly delighted him.

su_01.1.jpg

Azizulhasni is in the 2012 training squad. However, due to his sudden encouraging achievement by becoming Asian champions in the keirin and sprint, he qualified himself to be in Beijing. The 2012 training squad is quite a complete track cycling squad, already recording national records in almost every other competitions (way ahead of their targeted achievements). Maybe we can see a glimpse of what they can do in the Commonwealth Games & the Asian Games in 2010.

s_59azizul.jpg

Look how tiny he is while waiting to receive his gold medal at the Asian Championships.

Edited by theone

An exciting semi-final in the women's sprint between China's Shuang Guo and Australia's Anna Meares - Guo fell off her bike and after the race was resumed won only to be disqualified for elbowing the Australian out of the way.

The Australian will now go for gold against Victoria Pendleton of Great Britain.

An exciting semi-final in the women's sprint between China's Shuang Guo and Australia's Anna Meares - Guo fell off her bike and after the race was resumed won only to be disqualified for elbowing the Australian out of the way.

The Australian will now go for gold against Victoria Pendleton of Great Britain.

They just showed it here now. Whatever happens in the final (C'mon Anna!) it'll be Australia's only cycling medal this year, as opposed to six gold at Athens. THAT'S the difference between Team Australia now and then.

what has happened to Aussie cycling?

Yeah, my question exactly. Maybe they need new people. It's funny 'coz Australia is Malaysia's training base for track cycling. Maybe we should move to another place. I heard the Australians train in some other country... France or something.

Don't know how but Argentina won the Madison gold. Spain silver. Russia bronze. Belgium got the most points (17) but since they were a lap down, they lost. Argentina got 8 points.

Congratulations to Argentina - one of only a few medals won by them ever!!

The British men didn't finish very well - apparently Bradley Wiggins is suffering from his two world records earlier in the week. Not medalling in the Madison means that Mark Cavendish is the only member of the British cycling team not to win a medal. :( Still a pretty amazing time in the velodrome though.