Thread Of Shame

Faster

True, for right now it is speculation, as it was when Marion Jones stood on the Gold medal podium five times in Sydney and as the US 4x100 meter relay team stood on the gold medal podium with Michael Johnson being very emotional as the Star Spangled banner was being played.

I'm guessing they endured rigorious testing before and after their Gold medal performances. However, it was the human conscience that revealed the truth about the doping.

So the doping tests can be fooled over and over and over again but not, dear friend, the conscience.

Conscience may rule, but only if they ever took steroids in the first place.

True, for right now it is speculation, as it was when Marion Jones stood on the Gold medal podium five times in Sydney and as the US 4x100 meter relay team stood on the gold medal podium with Michael Johnson being very emotional as the Star Spangled banner was being played.

I'm guessing they endured rigorious testing before and after their Gold medal performances. However, it was the human conscience that revealed the truth about the doping.

So the doping tests can be fooled over and over and over again but not, dear friend, the conscience.

Fine - if ANYONE is proved to be doping , strip their medal.

I think I have been pretty clear as to how I feel about this issue in the past.

Unfortunately, other countries from the past, who have admitted to doping, don't feel the same way.

BTW - where exactly are you from Ruling Cszar? Your profile is rather sketchy. Please share your nationality?

Edited by LA84

Pretty strong stuff from Kelly Sotherton after that news broke, basically saying she wasn't remotely surprised by it.

Back to the Phelps debate, this appears to me to be a carbon copy of all the speculation and innuendo that dogged Lance Armstrong. Until there's any proof, why should it be taken seriously?

Blonska is now facing a lifelong ban, after already having been banned for doping in 2003. So farewell, you _____ (insert any swearword you like)!

Shouldn't she have received a lifelong ban in 2003? Why was she allowed to compete here at all?? :angry:

4 Horses Test Positive

This is unfortunate, especially for Norway, its crappy when 1 person causes an entire team to lose.

Didn't this happen in Athens as well (I can't remember which team)

This ticks me off almost more than what these athletes do to themselves. Those animals had no choice in the matter. :angry:

Back to the Phelps debate, this appears to me to be a carbon copy of all the speculation and innuendo that dogged Lance Armstrong. Until there's any proof, why should it be taken seriously?

Anytime someone does something does something that appears super human, this question gets raised.

Speculation has already started about Bolt as well. However, between Phelps asking to be a part of the enchanced drug testing program, and apparently the IOC checking the Jamaicans a lot, I doubt it about either one.

Didn't this happen in Athens as well (I can't remember which team)

In 2004, Germany's Ludger Beerbaum (originally winner of the team show jumping gold medal) and Ireland's Cian O'Connor (originally winner of the individual show jumping gold medal) were disqualified for doping. Beerbaum had applied a cortisone ointment to his horse Goldfever without knowing that he should have reported the use of that ointment beforehand to the NADA. O'Connor's horse Waterford Crystal, on the other hand, had two drugs originally used as anti-depressant for humans in its system.

In the end, Germany was stripped off its gold medal in the team show jumping event and was awarded bronze instead (after Beerbaum's result had been eliminated) and O'Connor had to return his gold medal as well.

This ticks me off almost more than what these athletes do to themselves. Those animals had no choice in the matter. :angry:

That's true. And also, it's an incredible shame that a member of my country's equestrian team -- a team which was already affected by a doping case four years ago --, has doped his horse nevertheless. What ticked me off the most was that the German TV commentator of today's individual show jumping event added after Eric Lemaze's victory "Let's hope that this result will be the same also in three days time" -- which is a saying the German commentators use pretty often currently also in many other Olympic medal event broadcasts. How mad has the world of sports become if you can't even trust equestrians anymore? :blink:

How mad has the world of sports become if you can't even trust equestrians anymore? :blink:

We can still trust Sailing and Curling... Right?

We can still trust Sailing and Curling... Right?

Not even those, I reckon. You can also dope to improve your power of concentration or you can use tranquilisers/beta blockers to have a calmer hand (for curling especially important). Just think of the case of that banned North Korean shooting medallist at these Games who used beta blockers as well.

In 2004, Germany's Ludger Beerbaum (originally winner of the team show jumping gold medal) and Ireland's Cian O'Connor (originally winner of the individual show jumping gold medal) were disqualified for doping. Beerbaum had applied a cortisone ointment to his horse Goldfever without knowing that he should have reported the use of that ointment beforehand to the NADA. O'Connor's horse Waterford Crystal, on the other hand, had two drugs originally used as anti-depressant for humans in its system.

In the end, Germany was stripped off its gold medal in the team show jumping event and was awarded bronze instead (after Beerbaum's result had been eliminated) and O'Connor had to return his gold medal as well.

That's true. And also, it's an incredible shame that a member of my country's equestrian team -- a team which was already affected by a doping case four years ago --, has doped his horse nevertheless. What ticked me off the most was that the German TV commentator of today's individual show jumping event added after Eric Lemaze's victory "Let's hope that this result will be the same also in three days time" -- which is a saying the German commentators use pretty often currently also in many other Olympic medal event broadcasts. How mad has the world of sports become if you can't even trust equestrians anymore? :blink:

You have to remember that Eric Lamaze has had 2 drug infractions against him, both cocaine. He had a major substance abuse problem from 1994 to 2000. If there was a problem with Lamaze or Hickstead it would have came out during the final inspection prior to the final.

• 4 months later...

In other news everybody expected to hear, Tony Andre Hansen has officially been disqualified for a doping infraction committed during the 2008 Summer Olympic Games (the same thing happened to defending individual Show Jumping Olympic champion, Brazil's Rodrigo Pessoa). This is especially significant since Hansen's disqualification brings Norway's Show Jumping team all the way from third place to tenth place. Switzerland gains Norway's medal, while Germany and the Netherlands both move to forth place, four penalties back of Switzerland.