What's wrong with the American runners at these Games? First they aren't able to counter the Jamaican opposition (I have a certain feeling why that is so...), but then they also commit their own mistakes. But probably we're now experiencing how much of past American successes on the track were based on doping, and how the athletic scene in the US really looks like with stricter doping controls.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although one has to say, of course, that you hardly can dope for passing the baton in a relay. Maybe there are drugs which enhance the power of concentration or reduce the nervousness, but the American failures in track relays rather seems to me due to insufficient practice.

What's wrong with the American runners at these Games? First they aren't able to counter the Jamaican opposition (I have a certain feeling why that is so...), but then they also commit their own mistakes. But probably we're now experiencing how much of past American successes on the track were based on doping, and how the athletic scene in the US really looks like with stricter doping controls.

It maybe so. :(

It's especially disappointing for British hopes as the men's 4x100 relay team were the defending Olympic champions! :(

On the other hand,the GB women's team managed to qualify comfortably for their place in the final!! :)

Edited by Mainad
It's especially disappointing for British hopes as the men's 4x100 relay team were the defending Olympic champions! :(

On the other hand,the GB women's team managed to qualify comfortably for their place in the final!! :)

In all fairness though, GB had no chanceof retaining their title up against the USA or Jamaica. They are in a different class right now. It would have taken a major mistake for GB to have retained the title. Dissapointing to be disqualified though. Dissapointed for Odowu too, as I really felt the Gold was his for the taking.

Why not? When you consider where Idowu was this time last year, to miss out on Olympic gold by only five centimetres is a heck of an achievement.

Indeed, not saying otherwise. It's just that Idowu may be in London, in four years, to grab the gold, but Évora will (surely) be, as well. In the end, it's all a matter of how the athlete is performing at that special moment. Idowu was 7th in Osaka when Évora won the title; this year, Idowu took the indoor world title with Évora as third, and yesterday, Évora was again better, even if by only 5cm. Both outdone themselves this year at yesterday's final. ;)

It may be that this could be the rivalry in triple jumping for the next few years. But I honestly feel that Idowu will go on from here. From the moment I first saw him in Sydney, I felt he had the talent to jump 18 metres. I think he still has and the best is yet to come.

The lack of roids caused them to drop the baton? ;)

The Belgian women, led by Kim Gaevert on anchor, won silver in the 4x100 relay!!! :) They surely took advantage of the Americans' DQ like the Australian men did on the Jamaicans four years ago.

They probably did, but it's a team who is practising a lot their baton changes. They knew they could have a chance after the bronze in Osaka last year. And It's great for Gevaert: she has won now a medal at every T&F championship: at the World and European Championships outdoor and indoor. And now at the Olympics.

It's the first Belgian medal in athletics since Montreal 1976. Very happy about that.

And Tia Hellebaut can also do well tomorrow in the high jump event

Yes, it's operation 'Look But No Touchy' for any Russian Athlete until the Closing Ceremony. It's killing me to see the Russians only 1 Gold medal behind Team GB. We simply cannot allow them increase their Gold medal tally. :wacko:

I'd be thrilled with 4th place overall, but 3rd would be freakin wonderful! Does anyone know how many strong Gold medal chances* Russia has between now and the Closing Ceremony?

*athletes widely believed to win Gold based on previous form or competition

Awesome - Bryan Clay takes his place as the "World's Greatest Athlete" by winning the decathalon! B)