Athletics

Sir Rols

That is a fundamental misrepresentation of what I have said. Nowhere have I stated it 'was not wrong' and I'm not going to start now. My point throughout this has been to seek to put this in its appropriate context and I will not take lessons in allegedly appropriate behaviour from you, particularly given the example given earlier and so many other similar cases.

Your position seems to be that you can gloat if you've got something to gloat about and, in my mind, that is the position of a hypocrite.

I'm sorry but in what context you want to put that taunting of the British runner? It's pretty clear that he didn't win anything at all but qualify to the finals, but he still taunted athletes behind him. So I don't think we need to interpret that action further.

If you want to gloat if you've won something, go ahead. I don't care at all. But stop gloating or taunting someone when all you've done is qualify. It's like the French swimmers saying "we will crush them" (meaning the Americans) then losing in the end. It's the same thing. You can't gloat when you haven't proven anything, you have the right to do so if you've proven yourself and you're the winner. There's nothing hypocritical about that.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said...

And Great Britain didn't even medal. I really thought the taunting was unnecessary. Now that athlete doesn't have anything to show. Poor judgement on his part.

You said...

What are you on about?

I answered...

It's the anchor on the men's 4x400 taunting when he finished in the semifinals.

You responded...

What exactly is wrong with celebrating qualifying for an Olympic final when you've got a young, inexperienced team which nobody would realistically give a prayer to?

Then I answered back...

I'm sorry but he didn't just celebrate, [/b]he is taunting[/b] the teams behind him by shaking his baton towards the teams behind him. There's nothing wrong in celebrating if you have won, he didn't even won a medal, it's only a semifinal. So IMO, it's unnecessary.

You responded back asking me if I believe it's intentional...

Are you claiming it's deliberate, because if you are, I simply do not believe you. You might want to re-read my earlier comment on the matter.

And I cleared it up with my response that it doesn't matter if it's deliberate or not...

Even if it's not deliberate, it won't matter, it's wrong because that's the bottom line. He hasn't won anything, he hasn't proved anything. So, winning a semifinal gives them the right to taunt teams behind him even if it's not deliberate? By the way, Bahamas and Jamaica was trailing him, Bahamas won the silver, and he was fourth.

And you responded...

I honestly don't think you've got the point I was making at all and I don't intend to pursue the matter further.

I clearly explained again why I believed that the taunting was unnecessary and the celebration was premature...

I actually got you're point 100%. Nothing wrong with celebrating winning a semifinal, but to the extent of taunting runners who are behind you is a different thing, and he hasn't won anything at that time but qualify in the finals. I won't pursue the matter further because I don't think you understand the difference between celebrating and taunting. In which the British anchor runner did both.

Anyway, it bit them in the butt because they didn't even medal. The celebration and taunting was may premature.

And then you've incorrectly compared a winning team against a qualifying team, 2 different scenarios...

I understand perfectly well thank you very much and I won't take lessons from you in it. Besides, I remember how the American relay teams behaved in Sydney. Probably the most pathetic cringeworthy display I have ever seen.

Which prompted a response from me that it was 2 different situations and both will have different implications. And explaining again why the taunting was not right...

That is a fundamental misrepresentation of what I have said. Nowhere have I stated it 'was not wrong' and I'm not going to start now. My point throughout this has been to seek to put this in its appropriate context and I will not take lessons in allegedly appropriate behaviour from you, particularly given the example given earlier and so many other similar cases.

Your position seems to be that you can gloat if you've got something to gloat about and, in my mind, that is the position of a hypocrite.

And I've explained why it's not hypocritical and even gave a more similar example than the example you've given, the Gold-medal winning relay team in Sydney.

I'm sorry but in what context you want to put that taunting of the British runner? It's pretty clear that he didn't win anything at all but qualify to the finals, but he still taunted athletes behind him. So I don't think we need to interpret that action further.

If you want to gloat if you've won something, go ahead. I don't care at all. But stop gloating or taunting someone when all you've done is qualify. It's like the French swimmers saying "we will crush them" (meaning the Americans) then losing in the end. It's the same thing. You can't gloat when you haven't proven anything, you have the right to do so if you've proven yourself and you're the winner. There's nothing hypocritical about that.

But, as how you've responded to my posts, it's very clear that you really didn't understand that I think it was wrong for the British anchor runner to celebrate and taunt runners behind him. Celebrating only, is perfectly fine with me. But celebrating and taunting runners behind you when all you've done is qualify, I think it's unnecessary. That's what prompted my reaction specially after one of the teams behind them, Bahamas, won the silver, and the British runners fourth.

There's nothing hypocritical about that. It's hypocritical if I tolerate a non-medal US relay team celebrating and taunting, then I wouldn't if it's a British team. You're comparing 2 different situations in which one won, and the other didn't and only qualified to have a chance to win, which in the end, they didn't.

This will be my last post about this and we can't separate the fact that they did not just celebrate, but taunted as well. You cannot separate the two actions as that was what they did. If they've just celebrated and didn't taunt, we're not even going to talk about this because I would not react at all. They haven't won anything. And again, it bit their butts in the end.

You might not have stated that it was or wasn't wrong, but the fact that you even called me a hypocrite proves to me that you didn't totally understand what happened to you haven't watched what they did at all. But if I misunderstood anything on your posts, I apologize. I'm clear on my points and I'll close it at that.