Wrestling

BTHarner

Was it the Ohio river? I thought it was the Tiber when he happened to throw it out of jubilation. Not disgust.

And the IOC did eventually replace it; I believe in 1996, in Atlanta.

Now, if someone managed to fish out the original one -- that would bring a pretty penny.

yea, later on he claimed he had never thrown it in the Ohio - that he had "misplaced it."

Please - how does someone loose a gold medal? I can tell you exactly where my high school class ring is 27 years later - a lot less valuable piece of hardware.

Never did care for him.

I'm not Anti-Sweden, I'm Anti-Princess.

Yeah, he got screwed. But you know what? I recall Sale and Pelletier getting screwed too. They went with it. Were they upset? Sure. But they had respect for their opponents enough to stand on the podium and hear the Russian national anthem, as much as it must've pained them. Protest all you want, but to do so on the podium is an absolute slap in the face to your opponent(s) and completely antithetical to the Olympic ideals. If the judges were so wrong, be the better man and represent your country proudly. Don't throw a tantrum.

Whatever his athletic prowess, he's a disgrace as a sportsman.

I hope Pillan has followed the Olympic Games long enough to now empathize with boxers who for years and years complained (rightly) that the boxing judges favoured some boxers over others, not just in one Games but in every Olympic Games.

Someone said that "subjective sports" shouldn't be in the Games, pointing at synchro (especially after the Sylvie Frechette episode in 1992).

But, as we can see, MANY sports have subjective elements: wrestling, boxing, diving, water polo, basketball, for example. And no one, especially the IOC suits would consider dropping wrestling from the program. And no matter how much they squawk about boxing and its well-known corrupt IF, they won't drop boxing. Just a long line of threats.

GOLD for CANADA!!!!!

WOMEN'S WRESTLING!!! CAROL HUYNH!

A SILVER AND GOLD WITHIN 15 MINUTES!!!

Finally!

Good job and congrats!