Kuopio - Does One Know Anything About The Bid?

• 2 weeks later...
I was tring to find out more about the Finnish bid for the 2012 Winter Youth Olympic Games - anyone know anything about it?

Well the only information available is the one for the expert panel report, which is not much.

However, it is regarded with sympathy within the IOC: expect a 2-city shortlist (Innsbruck and Kuopio).

I don't know - I'd be surprised if there is a shortlist as such - all 4 have been accepted as candidates and the Norwegian contigent in Beijing were very happy with how their bid had been recieved. I asked if they thought it would conflict with their 2018 bid - I got no straight answer!

I don't know - I'd be surprised if there is a shortlist as such - all 4 have been accepted as candidates and the Norwegian contigent in Beijing were very happy with how their bid had been recieved. I asked if they thought it would conflict with their 2018 bid - I got no straight answer!

Thats because our wonderful Norwegian friends are intelligent enough to know they have no chance at 2018.

Lillehammer has a lot of goodwill because of 1994 and it would have some symbolism to have the first WYOG in a country where most winter sport was invented and where the greatest success of the WOG happened.

The short list is not short : the four cities have been accepted as candidate cities. Anyway the bid process is short, only three months left !

The list will be further reduced following the Evaluation Commission report: Harbin is out and Lillehammer must likely (unless they manage to produce the required guarantees in time).

Could you clarify the issues with Harbin and Lillehammer because I have lost this episode.

Harbin has a very spread out concept (making excellent use of existing sports venues) with three Olympic Villages. It doesn't fit well with the educational purpose of the YOG which is based on the athletes interacting and taking part together in cultural / educational events. It would also be logistical nightmare for the NOC...

Lillehammer has a good concept but is lacking financial guarantees, which is a big no no, especially given the relative short time frame for preparing the Games.

It will be quite a journey for the Finnish bid here. The nation's attempts to get the regular Winter Olympics seemed to not go well, with Tampere and Helsinki, in the past. Like Sweden, it has only hosted one Olympic Games so far and no Winter Olympics.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived