Assessment Of Rogge. Is He Doing A Good Job?

I don't know, but this olympics, in my opinion, has really stretched Rogge's managerial abilities as the IOC chief. Now, I would like to see if you guys give him a passing or failing grade on how he's handling things.

So far, he's pretty much sacrificed the athlete's right to compete in good air quality by virtually dismissing their concerns over the issue of air polution.

Secondly, he hasn't responded to the fact that the Chinese has gone back on many promises they made during the bidding process in 2001.

Thirdly, it seems in his eyes the chinese can do no wrong.

Share how you feel right here.

I think he's done a pretty good job.

I really don't think he could've done much with the Chinese problems. For one thing, the IOC would have never bulged on their human rights record....it was Sammaranch's fault for leading the IOC into choosing Beijing as host city.

As for the environment, I don't think we can blame Rogge either.....I mean, the Chinese has already moved heaven and earth on the issue. Closed down factories and banned cars on the road. The air pollution hasn't been that bad over the past 4 days after all that rain.

If there's one thing Rogge needs to improve on, it's his speeches....they get worse every time.

Rogge gets a fair bit of flack for supposedly "not standing up to the Chinese". But what's he supposed to do? He's the head of a sports organisation, not the UN, and the IOC has made clear time after time that they are not about playing partisan politics. If a country can compete, they can host, and it's not up to them to decide if a host's political system is democratic enough for other's tastes or not. When he's made the odd comment or warning to China, he's attacked in the west for not being firm enough, and in China for meddling in their internal political matters. I think he's done what he's could within the limits of his abilities as IOC president. I'd imagine His Execellency JAS would not have been as admonishing of the incombent hosts as Rogge has been at times.

Overall, he sems a decent enough guy, and seems to try to play the consensus game more than His Excellency. It may have made him look weaker at times than JAS _ his sports consolidation proposals, for example, he's had to fight tooth and nail to get through and then only very gradually and by compromise. But generally I don't think he's made any major blunders and the IOC and the world probably wanted a more conciliatory pres after JAS.

Has he confirmed if he's going to stand for a second half-term next year?

I have a slightly different approach - yes the IOC is a sport organisation and has not such power like political statesmen, but...

- you shouldn't tell us that there will be "free" access to the internet in Beijing during the Olympics, when the contract between the IOC and the organisers looks different or is interpretable in different ways...

- you shouldn't emphasise that the Olympic Games are not political, but claiming that the Olympic Games will have impact on the situation of human rights in China at the same time...

On the other side Rogge had a positive impact, too - he came to restructure the IOC after the bribe scandal (but I wonder how Sochi won the 2014 Winter Olympics)...

Rogge is doing a great job and sees how the Olympics are in trouble for the way forward . The Revenues are increasing but at the same time interest of young people in the world is waining which is not good for the future. His formation of a Youth Olympics is meant to try to revive or spark new interest by the Youth of the world and he got total support on that. As to Human Rights, Pollution and other issues surrounding the Beijing Games and whether it was the wrong choice to go to China in 2008 . IF not now then when do you go to 25 percent of the Worlds Population for the Very first time ? Denying China for Whom , Toronto, Istanbul , Paris of Osaka ? Three of those cities being in countries that have hosted multiple Olympics in either the Summer or Winter ? Because of China's performance in regards to TV Ratings the Winter Olympics are likely to come to China in the 2020's and Summer Games I could see coming to a Shanghai just as fast.

A similar thing happened with Japan's first hosting of the Olympics in 1964 after which the Winter Games Came to Japan for a first time in 1972. Before that you basically had a huge dominate block of Back to Back to Back Europe hosting over the span or 28 years .

Rogge sees the problem with the Size of the Games as well. Rogge is going to probably be the man who sees the Games go to South America and Africa simply because A. they should and B. it will be a much needed correction in Scale. When you have a Toronto who has bid on the Games Twice stating that the Olympics are now out of their reach you have a very serious problem for the games a kin to the early 1980's. London 2012 is going to be another Disaster for Ratings in America simply because of Lord Coes Attitude of not bending to the needs of American TV. He has stated in an Australian Newspaper that they will run the Swimming and gymnastics at the normal times unlike Beijing is . This means Micheal Phelps in the afternoon or supper time on the East Coast of the US. What Coe does not seem to realize is that the sustaining of the games is tied to the United States and what they donate to the IOC on an every increasing level. There is not replacement for that in the Future as if you compare the US TV rights to other economies it is rather telling. NBC 964 million dollars, India's National Broadcaster 3 million , South Korea's TV rights for Beijing About 20 million US. IF a European fixture in sports does not see what happened with Ratings in the States and takes notice then the EU can look forward to fewer Olympics hosted there. Madrid is really not seriously in the running for 2016 but 2020 could be in jeopardy for Europe depending on how London Plays out both on the Ground and on TV for the most important market the USA.

Rogge is the right man for the Right time for the IOC and will be Re-elected because the Revenues are going up and he is trying to expand the Horizons to keep that happening.

Jim jones

Samaranch is still kissing the Chinese's backside, I saw him sitting next to President Hu Jintao at the USA-China women's volleyball game. He (JAS) is really showing his age (88).

As for Rogge, I believe he is doing a fine job. He could have come down hard on China to make them make good on their promises concerning human rights but, after next Sunday, the Chinese won't care what the IOC thinks because the Games will have come and gone and its back to business as usual. Any efforts by Rogge in this area would have been, in the end, a waste of time.

I applaud him on his youth initatives and his efforts to restructure the program and I truly hope he stays on as President.

He could have come down hard on China to make them make good on their promises concerning human rights but, after next Sunday, the Chinese won't care what the IOC thinks because the Games will have come and gone and its back to business as usual. Any efforts by Rogge in this area would have been, in the end, a waste of time.

I agree, but then the IOC shouldn't claim again and again that these Olympic Games will change the situation in the PR China - such claim built up expectations, on which the IOC has no influence, since it is just a sport organisation...

London 2012 is going to be another Disaster for Ratings in America simply because of Lord Coes Attitude of not bending to the needs of American TV. He has stated in an Australian Newspaper that they will run the Swimming and gymnastics at the normal times unlike Beijing is . This means Micheal Phelps in the afternoon or supper time on the East Coast of the US. What Coe does not seem to realize is that the sustaining of the games is tied to the United States and what they donate to the IOC on an every increasing level

So what UK time would you suggest we have our swimming finals? 12 midnight or 1.00 am perhaps? :angry:

This is London 2012 not American Convenience 2012...

^ Agree. He's bland and full of flattering, meaningless comments meant to appease sponsors and repair reputations. But I think that is what the IOC wanted/needed after Samaranch. It is a pattern. Brundage was a spicy old fellow who said what he meant and stuck to his guns. Then followed up by softy Killanin. Samaranch was a feisty old wheeler-dealer who got things done his way, or at least arm wrestled to get it his way. And Rogge is a politically correct pacifier. He's had some strong moves and decisions, but he's not going to rock the boat like Brundage and he doesn't strong arm like Samaranch.

Rogge is doing a great job and sees how the Olympics are in trouble for the way forward .

How are the Olympics 'in trouble' exactly? The major problems of the last few months are the ones inflicted by the IOC itself following its vote back in 2001.

The Revenues are increasing but at the same time interest of young people in the world is waining which is not good for the future. His formation of a Youth Olympics is meant to try to revive or spark new interest by the Youth of the world and he got total support on that.

I think that is highly debatable. If you are telling us that young kids all over the world aren't being inspired by watching the likes of Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt, then I think there's something wrong with you. I have always been sceptical about the idea of a youth Olympics, simply because I think the case for such an event has not been made or proved.

As to Human Rights, Pollution and other issues surrounding the Beijing Games and whether it was the wrong choice to go to China in 2008 . IF not now then when do you go to 25 percent of the Worlds Population for the Very first time ? Denying China for Whom , Toronto, Istanbul , Paris of Osaka ? Three of those cities being in countries that have hosted multiple Olympics in either the Summer or Winter ?

I wanted Toronto to get these Games. I felt they were offering the best bid of those that were on the table back in 2001. It's all very well saying 'we have to go to China sooner or later', but the reality is that the Chinese regime promised the Earth to get these Games, having missed out on 2000. They have failed to deliver in many key areas.

Because of China's performance in regards to TV Ratings the Winter Olympics are likely to come to China in the 2020's and Summer Games I could see coming to a Shanghai just as fast.

Well let's just hope the Communist Party liars don't hoodwink the IOC again.

Rogge sees the problem with the Size of the Games as well. Rogge is going to probably be the man who sees the Games go to South America and Africa simply because A. they should and B. it will be a much needed correction in Scale. When you have a Toronto who has bid on the Games Twice stating that the Olympics are now out of their reach you have a very serious problem for the games a kin to the early 1980's.

There is no problem of scale with the Olympics in my view. The critical thing is whether bidding cities and nations can do what they say they'll do in their bid. And is re-generation of the type we saw in Barcelona and Sydney not a good thing?

You cannot simply take any sporting event, let alone one of the status of the Olympic Games to a city that cannot cope with their requirements. That would be the action of a lunatic.

London 2012 is going to be another Disaster for Ratings in America simply because of Lord Coes Attitude of not bending to the needs of American TV. He has stated in an Australian Newspaper that they will run the Swimming and gymnastics at the normal times unlike Beijing is . This means Micheal Phelps in the afternoon or supper time on the East Coast of the US. What Coe does not seem to realize is that the sustaining of the games is tied to the United States and what they donate to the IOC on an every increasing level. There is not replacement for that in the Future as if you compare the US TV rights to other economies it is rather telling. NBC 964 million dollars, India's National Broadcaster 3 million , South Korea's TV rights for Beijing About 20 million US. IF a European fixture in sports does not see what happened with Ratings in the States and takes notice then the EU can look forward to fewer Olympics hosted there. Madrid is really not seriously in the running for 2016 but 2020 could be in jeopardy for Europe depending on how London Plays out both on the Ground and on TV for the most important market the USA.

A little geography lesson for you. The world does not begin and end in the United States and the Olympic movement should not be pandering to one television station over any others. So NBC wanted to show the swimming finals in prime time? Because of their selfishness, and the lack of backbone among the organisers, they've been on in the middle of the night in Europe. I'm quite sure viewers in Australia would rather have watched the finals at night rather than at lunchtime as well.

The London Olympics are the Olympics of Britain first and foremost. Therefore, it is entirely right that British spectators should be considered first and foremost. I watch a lot of boxing. I go to a lot of boxing shows and it pisses me off something chronic when the big fights are delayed just because some greedy American television executive wants it 'prime time'. It's about sodding time the powers that be started considering other people.

Rogge is the right man for the Right time for the IOC and will be Re-elected because the Revenues are going up and he is trying to expand the Horizons to keep that happening.

Money isn't the be all and end all. Rogge isn't exactly an offensive man but he needs to stand up for his organisation more. The way that they have simply rolled over and played dead over certain issues with Beijing just isn't good enough and I doubt will be tolerated again.

London 2012 is going to be another Disaster for Ratings in America simply because of Lord Coes Attitude of not bending to the needs of American TV. He has stated in an Australian Newspaper that they will run the Swimming and gymnastics at the normal times unlike Beijing is . This means Micheal Phelps in the afternoon or supper time on the East Coast of the US. What Coe does not seem to realize is that the sustaining of the games is tied to the United States and what they donate to the IOC on an every increasing level
So what UK time would you suggest we have our swimming finals? 12 midnight or 1.00 am perhaps? :angry:

Exactly; that was a completely nonsensical post. But you have to realise JJ doesn't think things through before he posts. He just vomits words and hits "add reply".

Archived