Table Tennis !

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And.... We have the last match that'll be Park Vs Feng, based on their achievement, Feng have a better record, she is originally a single player, and Park is a double player, so let's see, what will happen in this match, will Singapore hope still continue, or Korea will go to the final ? ;)

And.... We have the last match that'll be Park Vs Feng, based on their achievement, Feng have a better record, she is originally a single player, and Park is a double player, so let's see, what will happen in this match, will Singapore hope still continue, or Korea will go to the final ? ;)

My hair is standing on end!!

I think because there are a lot of chinese table tennis athlete who move to the Singapore, because that Singapore have a very strong table tennis team :), in swimming... umm... China itself not a strong country, so a chinese simmer maybe still stay on China... :) hope you can understand what I mean, btw it 2 last points.... congrat to the Singapore, they will face the undefeated China in the final...

I think because there are a lot of chinese table tennis athlete who move to the Singapore, because that Singapore have a very strong table tennis team :), in swimming... umm... China itself not a strong country, so a chinese simmer maybe still stay on China... :) hope you can understand what I mean, btw it 2 last points.... congrat to the Singapore, they will face the undefeated China in the final...

Well, it is indeed true that the foreign-born athletes winning sporting glory for Singapore does stir up some debate locally as well, but this is inevitable as the world globalises and talent moves across borders. Check out the names participating in the table tennis single matches, and you will be surprised at the countries which are fielding players with Chinese names...there's Zeng Cen and Melek Hu from Turkey, Kou Lei from Ukraine, Liu Jia, Chen Weixing and Li Qiangbing from Austria, Tan Ruiwu from Croatia, Tan Wenling Monfardini from Italy, Wu Jiaduo from Germany Xian Yi Fang from France, Xu Jie and Li Qian from Poland, Li Jiao and Li Jie from the Netherlands, He Zhi Wen, Shen Yanfei and Zhu Fang from Spain, Ni Xialian from Luxembourg, Lin Ju, Wu Xue and Qian Lian from the Dominican Republic, Liu Song from Argentina, Yang Fen from the Congo...not to mention the usual suspects from the US, Australia, Canada, etc.

Ultimately, I am proud of the Singaporean table tennis team's foreign-born players, for although they were not born here, each of them came to Singapore not at their prime, and were groomed to become world champions by Singapore's efforts. Singapore has always owed its success to immigration, and as a place to offer an opportunity to excel. This applies just as well to our sports stars today.

And speaking of swimming, you may not be aware that Singapore's Tao Li just became the first Singaporean to reach the swimming finals, and although she finished fifth in the finals, she managed to break the Asian Record twice during the heats and semifinals and held on to it by the time her amazing run was over!