Sailing

Well, Australia have assured themselves of one Gold, and should almost certainlky clinch at least another, after today's sailing:

Australia assured of sailing gold

AAP - August 16, 2008, 8:34 pm

Australia has effectively won its first gold medal at the Beijing Olympics sailing regatta and looks virtually certain of a second after the men's and women's 470 pairs finished top of the table in their events.

Triple world champions Nathan Wilmot and Malcolm Page opened up an unassailable 22-point lead and do not even need to compete in Monday's medal race to be crowned Olympic champions.

Women's 470 crew Elise Rechichi and Tessa Parkinson wrapped up their opening series with an 18-point lead, knowing they can do no worse than silver but short of a catastrophe are virtually assured of the gold on Monday.

The only way Rechichi and Parkinson could lose is if they finish last in the 10-boat medal race and the current second-placed Dutch team win.

Wilmot and Page's victory is also the first sailing medal to be won after the scheduled Finn and Yngling medal races were postponed because of poor wind conditions.

Amid jubilant scenes on the boat ramp at the Qingdao sailing venue, the men's pair were cheered ashore by their teammates, including Rechichi and Parkinson.

"We still don't have the medal around our necks yet but it's pretty close now," Page said.

"The first race ended up being our drop race, I think we doubled our points today, I think it was our worst day by miles but it worked."

Great Britain won the first completed medal race of the Olympic Sailing Regatta on August 17 to win gold in the Yngling (Women's Keelboat), the second consecutive Olympic gold for Great Britain in the boat class. The British team finished with 24 overall points, while the Netherlands finished second with 33 points overall. Greece won bronze with 48 points.

SPAIN WAS ROBBED IN 49er!!! The Danish have competed with the Croatian boat after they destroyed their own boat, so Spain has complained to the referees.

Decision tomorrow.

Australia's Gold in the men;s 470 has been confirmed, with GB in Silver.

That was a very late silver medal for the British pair - they were in fourth position overall halfway through the final race.

Australia are one gold away from taking third place from Britain in the medals table too.

That was a very late silver medal for the British pair - they were in fourth position overall halfway through the final race.

Australia are one gold away from taking third place from Britain in the medals table too.

Only temporarily, I'm sure.

It was funny. Our Channel 7 obviously has no-one live at Qingdao, so we went across to the BBC coverage _ which of course was all about the British (who exactly got bronze, anway?). And then we went back to a wry comment about how we've heard a lot about Britain, but Australia won Gold.

Edited by Sir Roltel

And Gold in the Women's 470 as well!

(at least they dug up an Aussie to commentate on that)

Silver to The Netherlands, Bronze Brazil

And that puts Australia (temporarily, I'd imagine, but at least in good time for the evening news broacasts) in third spot and above GB.

SPAIN WAS ROBBED IN 49er!!! The Danish have competed with the Croatian boat after they destroyed their own boat, so Spain has complained to the referees.

Decision tomorrow.

Official.

Spain has been robbed! Silver medal instead of gold...

Only temporarily, I'm sure.

It was funny. Our Channel 7 obviously has no-one live at Qingdao, so we went across to the BBC coverage _ which of course was all about the British (who exactly got bronze, anway?). And then we went back to a wry comment about how we've heard a lot about Britain, but Australia won Gold.

Well that'll teach the Australian broadcasters not to mess about in future.

Third Sailing Gold for Britain in sailing's Laser class. Britain's 13th gold overall.

Lima entered the medal race in third place. He finished fourth... ONE point behind the bronze medal! So unfair. It's the third Olympics he fails to get a medal by very little -- and the last as he said he'll be retiring from sailing :( I want to think he's just totally frustrated by another 'almost' and he'll still be sailing (if he gets sponsoring to ease the expenses, that is).