Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stryker

Convention Centers

Convention centers seem to be popular choices for Olympic sports since the large amount of exhibition space available. That being said, how much space is required per event if a convention center or exhibition hall is used?

Use Sydney's Convention & Exhibition Centre as an example....this was the capacity in Olympic mode:

Capacity: Convention Centre, 3840; Exhibition Hall 1 & 2, 9000; Exhibition Hall 3, 7500 (prelims),10,000 (finals); Exhibition Hall 4, 5000 (finals); Exhibition Hall 5, 5000 (prelims)

Sports: Weightlifting, Judo, Wrestling, Boxing Fencing

Aerial.jpg

I believe Sydney's convention centre has 406,000 square feet of exhibition space.

In Vancouver, we're building a new convention centre with 500,000 square feet of exhibtion space. It'll be used for the 2010 media centres, both IBC and MPC.....it'll have a massive green/grass roof.

conventioncentrefromstanu6.jpg

View%20B.jpg

How much space is required per event if a convention center or exhibition hall is used?

Well you have the basic competition areas, the exact measurements for each event I don't know. It also depends on the seating capacities required by each sport, since they also take up a lot of space. Here's a list. I'm not sure if the figures are still up-to-date but I think they're more or less accurate:

venue13vl_cons.jpg