Your National Anthems At The Awards Ceremonies

LA84

I'm pretty impressed with the arrangements of the anthems.

Sounds like similar arrangements the New Japan Symphony Orchestra used in '04 but this time ours, at least, sound a little more powerful.

Anyone know who is playing this years anthems?

• Like 1

I like the arrangement the US anthem has had. The arrangement for Advance Australia Fair has been, well, fair but nothing spcial.

Of the rest I've heard, the Italian one was a good one _ very stirring. The Chinese one I don't know well enough to know if it was a good arrangement or not. France's was like the Aussie's _ a standard rendition. And the Japanese always sounds mournful, whatever the arrangement.

I'm pretty impressed with the arrangements of the anthems.

Sounds like similar arrangements the New Japan Symphony Orchestra used in '04 but this time ours, at least, sound a little more powerful.

Anyone know who is playing this years anthems?

This year's anthems were recorded by the Beijing Symphony Orchestra:

http://en.beijing2008.cn/bocog/bocognews/h...214470155.shtml

And in Athens, the anthems were arranged by Peter Breiner and played by the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra (not the New Japan Symphony Orchestra, which played the anthems -- I believe -- in Nagano instead).

The Athens anthems were even published on CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-National-An...d/dp/B0009JMEGU

The German anthem this year sounds pretty good. I noticed that the Beijing Symphony Orchestra slightly copied the Slovak RSO version from 2004, which was a very innovative one since some chords had one minor key in it, which made the chords sound richer and somehow more modern.

This year's anthems were recorded by the Beijing Symphony Orchestra:

http://en.beijing2008.cn/bocog/bocognews/h...214470155.shtml

And in Athens, the anthems were arranged by Peter Breiner and played by the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra (not the New Japan Symphony Orchestra, which played the anthems -- I believe -- in Nagano instead).

The Athens anthems were even published on CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-National-An...d/dp/B0009JMEGU

Thanks for the info - I knew that - don't know why I put the New Japan thing! :blink:

And thanks for the links -

Germanys I thought sounded good. I'll look forward to hearing Canadas to see if they do it traditional or a little more like the rendition in Torino which I thought was good.

And yes, once again God Save The Queen is soooo sloooowwwww!

• Like 1

The German anthem this year sounds pretty good. I noticed that the Beijing Symphony Orchestra slightly copied the Slovak RSO version from 2004, which was a very innovative one since some chords had one minor key in it, which made the chords sound richer and somehow more modern.

I just heard it the first time and I agree - it is a very good version of the Deutschlandlied

I just realized, after watching a few of our medal ceremonies on NBCOlympics.com that they are using a few different renditions.

O.K. - Canada has now won gold. Where is the Canadian Anthem? Of course, it is not on NBC. <_< Couldn't find it on CBC.

• Like 1

Ours is too slow as always! :D

Gooooooood Saaaaaaaaaaaaave ooooooourrrrrrrrrrrrr graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaciouis queeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen....

They used to have one at the F1 (I think it was around the time Damon Hill won the championship) which was far slower than this one. This is just fine.

What do you want them to do with it anyway? Some sort of fat dance remix? :lol:

What do you want them to do with it anyway? Some sort of fat dance remix? :lol:

I liked it better when the fans used to sing 'God Save Our Gracious Team!' :lol: It always reflected the fans' true priorities and feelings for me.After all,its not the bloody Queen who's out there sweating her guts,fighting for national glory in the sports arena,is it!!! Whatever happened to that cheerful irreverence??

No doubt HRH (why has she been demoted from HM?) Queen Elizabeth will now weigh in to express her lack of amusement and chide me for my disrespect!! ;)

The US anthem sounds great in the swimming events. The version they've played in the gymnastics event is bad IMO. Too much percussion, not much wind or string instruments. The version they've played in swimming really will touch your emotions, it was arranged perfectly. Wind instruments to start, then slowly, all the intruments follow in.

actually Indonesia's national anthem on Beijing 2008 is very standard but, because it's heard on the olympic event, os I just feel better than usual :)

I agree it always sounds better at the olympic games

The US anthem sounds great in the swimming events. The version they've played in the gymnastics event is bad IMO. Too much percussion, not much wind or string instruments. The version they've played in swimming really will touch your emotions, it was arranged perfectly. Wind instruments to start, then slowly, all the intruments follow in.

I noticed that as well. The swimming version is about the best I have ever heard. The second version (gymnastics) sounds like the arrangement that has been used in past Olympics. Not bad but not as good as the one at swimming