London's Cauldron Will Be Outside Stadium

Rob2012

I just realized with Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, and Harry Potter -- the whole scheme could be codenamed the "P" Plan until it is revealed!! :D

I was thinking more a War of the world Martian rising above the stadium with a heat ray

Lighting the flame,

Though I must say as you can see from the pictures I took last year (in my signature)London hasn’t changed since Marry Poppns flew over it.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read this snippet from DarJoLe on skyscrapercity.com

There is still no specific plans for the location or design of the torch/cauldron/flame whatever you want to call it, but various ideas have come forward to possibly 're-invent' the notion of the torch itself with the IOC onboard, and there has been early discussion about having some kind of a 'mobile' or moveable torch that may not stay in the same place throughout the duration of the Games.

How cool would it be if the tower was on a track in the ground and so could circle the stadium before slowly moving around the olymoic park. Im sure it would be very expensive but rather cool.

Again, like the digital wrap idea (which I was against), I'd much, much rather London did something simple very well than something risky (some might say gimmicky) and not quite pull it off - the 'River of Fire' came to mind when I first read of this idea!!

It's a barmy idea. Though having said that, it sounds like it's only one of a number of "ideas" and surely we'd have seen something come to light in the planning documents if this were being taken seriously.

I just read this snippet from DarJoLe on skyscrapercity.com

There is still no specific plans for the location or design of the torch/cauldron/flame whatever you want to call it, but various ideas have come forward to possibly 're-invent' the notion of the torch itself with the IOC onboard, and there has been early discussion about having some kind of a 'mobile' or moveable torch that may not stay in the same place throughout the duration of the Games.

How cool would it be if the tower was on a track in the ground and so could circle the stadium before slowly moving around the olymoic park. Im sure it would be very expensive but rather cool.

I quite like the sound of a mobile torch!

The reason is that I feel sometimes that having the Olympic flame at one venue (athletics stadium) is kind of associating it with one venue only. I know there are practical reasons for doing it this way but just the idea of having a mobile torch would symbolically open up the games to everyone in a way and make the torch more accessible.

I think we're getting carried away here. It wouldn't be able to move far! The stadium is on a penninsula (you know, mostly surrounded by water), and the gas pipes feeding the flame would need to be mobile as well. If it is mobile, I certainly can't see it moving from venue to venue; maybe just around part of the stadium. It almost doesn't seem worth the fuss.

I think we're getting carried away here. It wouldn't be able to move far! The stadium is on a penninsula (you know, mostly surrounded by water), and the gas pipes feeding the flame would need to be mobile as well. If it is mobile, I certainly can't see it moving from venue to venue; maybe just around part of the stadium. It almost doesn't seem worth the fuss.

What if the torch was like one of those crane things which are attached to trucks - that would make it mobile !

Bring on the animated wrap & mobile torch! Hell yeah!!!! :lol:

• 1 month later...
I quite like the sound of a mobile torch!

Too risky. Can you imagine the insurance premiums? And isn't that idea of the Torch Relay in the first place...to bring the flame to the outlying places? Plus the attraction of a moveable cauldron to...uhmmm....all those home-grown 'troublemakers' should NOT be underestimated.

• 2 months later...

It would be cool to have the Stadium as the Cauldron. There are traditionally 16 days of the Olympics, and if you notice there are/will be 14 Triangles in the outer rim of the Stadium roof. So what if the flame could progress around the Stadium? Lighting each 'Triangle' every day until they're extinguished on the 16th day on the Closing Ceremony :)

• 6 months later...

That circular metal structure above the roof could be some sort of rail so the cauldron would move in circles above the stadium and everyone inside it would see it through the transparent roof. It would move clockwise as a reference to the Big Ben B)

I liked your idea of rotating flame.

Archived