Can New Zealand host an Olympics?

Hachiko

I find it ironic that the people pushing Durban hosting the Olympics are bashing Perth, Perth is light years ahead of Durban there are only 4 million people that used Durban Airport while Perth has 13 million people used the Perth airport last year, Perth Airport is going under an massive upgrade and expansion which will be done in 10 years which is projected to handle 40 million people a year by 2030, Perth has been the historical gateway to Australia in shipping time. Perth is building an new 60-80,000 seater Stadium which will be done by 2018.

Shove it! It's not/never gonna/never will host.

Shove it! It's not/never gonna/never will host.

Yeah Durban South Africa and Auckland New Zealand will never host the Main Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games, I got mates from Durban and it's not an great city to be in that is why they left and Durban is in one of the poorest states in South Africa, South Africa got so much social problems to fix before they could even think about hosting the Summer Games.

Yeah Durban South Africa and Auckland New Zealand will never host the Main Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games, I got mates from Durban and it's not an great city to be in that is why they left and Durban is in one of the poorest states in South Africa, South Africa got so much social problems to fix before they could even think about hosting the Summer Games.

No, Perth will never ever host. Durban will

I think it would be very interesting to see what would happen if the IOC would institute an official rotation policy. In particular for this thread what would happen if the IOC awarded the 2032 games to Oceaniana. Would the games return to Sydney or Melbourne? Perth? Gold Coast? Auckland?

Yee gaawds...We use to have try and spell that at school spelling bees.

For short it's Tau'tahu...Fit that on a logo.

Gotta funny feeling GCL is getting wound up here...

Given you're from Perth there is a high chance these people are white - therefore they are implicated in any social problems in Durban they apparently left behind.

Having hosted the Commonwealth Games, and also the Rugby World Cup, clearly the answer is that NZ can hold large sporting events so the answer would be YES.

This would especially true of the Winter Olympics where such facilities as bobsleigh runs and ski jumps would undoubtedly get used as part of Summer training facilities.

New Zealand will be great in hosting the Winter Olympics and Paralympics Games with Christchurch - Queenstown and the Youth Summer Olympics Games in Auckland but it is way too small for an main Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games,

Sadly, as discussed ten years ago and onward till now here on GB, yes we would've liked to have seen a Lilehammer type of hosting for the Christchurch/Southern Lakes region. But it needed to have happened by now and the seasonal schedules have to turn upside down...almost on top of a FIFA WC. Also NZ only has one silver medal to show for it's OWG efforts. Infrastructure couldn't cope with such a geographically spread out event...and as we have seen in the 21st century already, the Winter Olympics have upsized to quite a scale with a central hub kind of the norm.

AND a major factor is Christchurch? Still very much a ruinned city.

Youth editions of both formats could easily be hosted. And Sport NZ is looking at them.

However there is is still a leaning towards a Commonwealth Games and in the time NZ could be looking at a full version of the OSGs, would've hosted the Rugby WC again, which is also on the long range plan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find it ironic that the people pushing Durban hosting the Olympics are bashing Perth, Perth is light years ahead of Durban there are only 4 million people that used Durban Airport while Perth has 13 million people used the Perth airport last year, Perth Airport is going under an massive upgrade and expansion which will be done in 10 years which is projected to handle 40 million people a year by 2030, Perth has been the historical gateway to Australia in shipping time. Perth is building an new 60-80,000 seater Stadium which will be done by 2018.

Wow are you 15? Firstly comparing passenger numbers of an airport is the right tool to judge things by! Why didnt we all think of that one. Have you ever thought that there are many other things that affect air traffic numbers? And as for those South Africans you have as mates in Perth... they are generally seen as the worst type of South African there is. They are beyond negative on anything to do with their home country and fit right into their old racist ways in tiny Perth. And yes i have visited. Great harbour setting. Lovely nature. But mate, very provincial town.

i dont do city wars, it find it tedious and pre-pubescent. But before you sprout stuff, maybe do some reading to learn about the place you are talking about. About the wide scale development plans in action. The billions being spent on our cities. The fact that "one of the poorest states" in South Africa that Durban is in, actually has the second largest GDP in the country at around $80 billion, is the manufacturing heartland, 2 of the largest ports in Africa and vast infrastructure development across the land.

so yeah a rising city on the rising continent or a mining town thats the most isolated city on earth? Have the IOC been to Perth?

• Like 1

Sadly, as discussed ten years ago and onward till now here on GB, yes we would've liked to have seen a Lilehammer type of hosting for the Christchurch/Southern Lakes region. But it needed to have happened by now and the seasonal schedules have to turn upside down...almost on top of a FIFA WC. Also NZ only has one silver medal to show for it's OWG efforts. Infrastructure couldn't cope with such a geographically spread out event...and as we have seen in the 21st century already, the Winter Olympics have upsized to quite a scale with a central hub kind of the norm.

AND a major factor is Christchurch? Still very much a ruinned city.

Youth editions of both formats could easily be hosted. And Sport NZ is looking at them.

However there is is still a leaning towards a Commonwealth Games and in the time NZ could be looking at a full version of the OSGs, would've hosted the Rugby WC again, which is also on the long range plan.

I tend to hold the belief also ( I think this is what you were getting at) that if NZ were to have hosted the Olympics - it should have happened by now. I feel that perhaps before the 80s the seasonal difference could have been more easily negotiated. Its a shame - not hard to picture Christchurch doing the OWG's in the 70s instead of the CwG.

Even earlier - maybe NZ should have taken inspiration from Melbourne 1956 and taken on Cortina. Oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda......

I tend to hold the belief also ( I think this is what you were getting at) that if NZ were to have hosted the Olympics - it should have happened by now. I feel that perhaps before the 80s the seasonal difference could have been more easily negotiated. Its a shame - not hard to picture Christchurch doing the OWG's in the 70s instead of the CwG.

Even earlier - maybe NZ should have taken inspiration from Melbourne 1956 and taken on Cortina. Oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda......

Back then there were very minimalistic club skiing facilities in NZ. Very much a winter holidays only scene. Queenstown a tiny lakeside farming hub for the lake steamer service to the Kingston railhead on the other side. Mt Hutt didn't exist and Coronet Peak only had a rope hauler.

BUT the NZOC and NZ Govt did look at the big one after 1964 and studied the prospect of hosting 1972 in Auckland. The airport had just been finished and a new rail network on the drawing board. Eden Park was going to be rebuilt and Kingsland flattened with new facilities built around the new stadium. Those gawd awful British style tower blocks were to be built for the village and used as public housing after...ew! Luckily sensible heads warned the govt off the idea and everyond pursued a BCWGs instead, getting them in 1974.

Auckland was the big loser...only just started on the transportation network ten years ago, and the full sized airport with a second runway is about to start.

Leaves you wondering "what if" in regards to what happened in 1972.

Wow are you 15? Firstly comparing passenger numbers of an airport is the right tool to judge things by! Why didnt we all think of that one. Have you ever thought that there are many other things that affect air traffic numbers? And as for those South Africans you have as mates in Perth... they are generally seen as the worst type of South African there is. They are beyond negative on anything to do with their home country and fit right into their old racist ways in tiny Perth. And yes i have visited. Great harbour setting. Lovely nature. But mate, very provincial town.

i dont do city wars, it find it tedious and pre-pubescent. But before you sprout stuff, maybe do some reading to learn about the place you are talking about. About the wide scale development plans in action. The billions being spent on our cities. The fact that "one of the poorest states" in South Africa that Durban is in, actually has the second largest GDP in the country at around $80 billion, is the manufacturing heartland, 2 of the largest ports in Africa and vast infrastructure development across the land.

so yeah a rising city on the rising continent or a mining town thats the most isolated city on earth? Have the IOC been to Perth?

$80 billion with 10.5 million people in KwaZule-Natal while Western Australia has $253 Billion with 2.9 million people and it forecast to be 5.8 Million Western Australian people are among the richest people in the world with Per Cap of $102,000, Western Australia is the Alberta of Australia the rest of Australia is on welfare from us. Perth is light years ahead of of Durban on international city statues it is an fact Perth is having the biggest redevelopment in Southern Hemisphere right now and we are only 20% through the redevelopment right now. .

$80 billion with 10.5 million people in KwaZule-Natal while Western Australia has $253 Billion with 2.9 million people and it forecast to be 5.8 Million Western Australian people are among the richest people in the world with Per Cap of $102,000, Western Australia is the Alberta of Australia the rest of Australia is on welfare from us. Perth is light years ahead of of Durban on international city statues it is an fact Perth is having the biggest redevelopment in Southern Hemisphere right now and we are only 20% through the redevelopment right now. .

Please stop, just stop. Perth is nothing compared to Sydney, Melbourne, or even Brisbane. Even the lunatics over at SSC do not think Perth compares to the majestic beauty that is Melbourne and Sydney.

Gold coast I have to love your post, brings a smile to my dial. Your country men must love you

Can't you tell that us here at GB love him too :rolleyes: .