Can New Zealand host an Olympics?

Hachiko

I think NZ at the moment would not be a feasible place for the summer or winter games (someone earlier saying how the NZ government stated that a SOG would bankrupt the country?).

But in 2036, 40, 44, when an Australian city is bidding (with a good chance of success),  by that time NZ will probably be much more developed, and be able to put in a strong bid from Auckland, to host a SOG.

So far as the WOG are concerned, again in the future (20 years) it is a possibility.

Well, the NZOC is studying the possibilities of hosting either Games for now. I think it has a chance to host the OWG more than the Summer Games at this time.

• 2 weeks later...
hay guardian have you ever been to new zealand?

cos you seem to have no dout that nz can host a games!

No, but I would like to try. I just don't have the finances right now. Oh, BTW, the Austrian ski teams train in NZ at the Southern Hemisphere's winter season. If the Austrians are satisfied with skiing there (and they are powerhouses for sure), then why not NZ and the Winter Olympics? There's nothing wrong with artificial snow at all. Calgary did that for the 1988 Winter Olympics.

• 2 weeks later...
i come from new zealand and i would love to see new zealand host an olympic games (summer or winter). New Zealand has done a fine job hosting the commonwealth games. The IOC has already said that New Zealand wouldnt get the winter olympic games because it clashes with the soccer world cup. New Zealand are hosting the 2006 mountain biking world champs. The 2005 world mountain running champs. Queenstown did a wondrful job hosting the 2003 triathlon world champs. I t would be awesome to host the games and i think in about 20 or so years we would be capable of hosting the games :D

... and i think in about 20 or so years we would be capable of hosting the games :D

I think New Zealand is already capable to host Olympic Games.

I´m a little bit sad, because in my opinion the main issue for the IOC is earning money, therefore cities or places are prefered, which promise a huge financial success for the IOC.

Hmmm, I noticed Bruce Ullrich(the man who lead the Winter Games Promotions Christchurch committee for the investigation of a 2006 and 2010 bid) on the news last night.He was being interviewed for the 30th anniversary of the Christchurch Commonwealth Games - of which he was one of the organising committee members.

I wonder what his thoughts are reguards putting nemore of his effort, into launching another investigation and study.

Auckland for summer, but that would definetely be a way way way down the track bid.

For winter, Christchurch including outdoor venues in the Southern Lakes district  - including the likes of Wanaka and possibly Queenstown.

There was some talk at one stage of Dunedin in Otago perhaps taking ova from the position Christchurch would have played, but I don't think that would work.

Auckland for summer, but that would definetely be a way way way down the track bid.

For winter, Christchurch including outdoor venues in the Southern Lakes district  - including the likes of Wanaka and possibly Queenstown.

There was some talk at one stage of Dunedin in Otago perhaps taking ova from the position Christchurch would have played, but I don't think that would work.

What is the distance between Christchurch and the mentioned venues in the Southern Lake District resp. Queenstown?

Do you live on the North or on the South Island, mattygs?

Not sure of the distance exactly, but I'm trying to find my copy of the study into hosting the 2006 Games which I was sent a while back.

As for where I live. Well, Mt Maunganui/Tauranga(part of which is in my sig) is in the North Island.

newzealandmap.gif

As for where I live. Well, Mt Maunganui/Tauranga(part of which is in my sig) is in the North Island.

I suppose the main wind-direction on the Southern Hemisphere is contrarily to the Nothern Hemisphere - therefore Tauranga get the wind directly from the sea? It seems to be an interesting place for surfing and wind-surfing.

newzealandmap.gif

I think the red lines are roads - I think the road between Christchurch and Wanaka/Queenstown has to be extended.

auckland would have to nz candidate for a sumer olympic bid i cant belive some one said that wellington could bid. thats like Halifax, Canada biding for the olympic games

and id say chirstchurch for the winter games but it dosnt snow much in christchurch but in Mt hutt (near CHCH) it was snowing this summer.

auckland would have to nz candidate for a sumer olympic bid i cant belive some one said that wellington could bid. thats like Halifax, Canada biding for the olympic games

and id say chirstchurch for the winter games but it dosnt snow much in christchurch but in Mt hutt (near CHCH) it was snowing this summer.

Well, Halifax is planning to bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics....but it'll never happen. The Canadian Olympic Committee will choose Toronto instead. Toronto will bid in 2016 and 2020. Toronto will win the Games sometime between 2020-2028. I don't think Halifax is even close to being ready to host the Olympic Games and they don't have enough money.

Vancouver will be the next Summer Olympic City after Toronto since Vancouver will be the only city in Canada capable to host the Summer Games except for Toronto and Montreal. The Games won't be going back to Montreal for a extremely long time because of the big financial disaster of '76 that everyone will remember - the Olympic Stadium was supposed to cost $200 million but instead costed $2.1 billion and is the most expensive stadium by far in the world even today. Quebec City will be the only Quebec city able to host the Olympics then.

Montreal 1976 (summer)

Calgary 1988 (winter)

Vancouver 2010 (winter)

Toronto 2020 (summer)

Quebec City 2042 (winter)

Vancouver 2070 (summer)

Well, Halifax is planning to bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics....but it'll never happen. The Canadian Olympic Committee will choose Toronto instead. Toronto will bid in 2016 and 2020. Toronto will win the Games sometime between 2020-2028. I don't think Halifax is even close to being ready to host the Olympic Games and they don't have enough money.

Vancouver will be the next Summer Olympic City after Toronto since Vancouver will be the only city in Canada capable to host the Summer Games except for Toronto and Montreal. The Games won't be going back to Montreal for a extremely long time because of the big financial disaster of '76 that everyone will remember - the Olympic Stadium was supposed to cost $200 million but instead costed $2.1 billion and is the most expensive stadium by far in the world even today. Quebec City will be the only Quebec city able to host the Olympics then.

Montreal 1976 (summer)

Calgary 1988 (winter)

Vancouver 2010 (winter)

Toronto 2020 (summer)

Vancouver 2070 (summer)

2070 is a winter year.  =)

Montreal 1976 (summer)

Calgary 1988 (winter)

Vancouver 2010 (winter)

Toronto 2020 (summer)

Vancouver 2070 (summer)

2070 is a winter year.  =)

then, Vancouver 2072. :)

• 4 months later...

Go Kiwis. I really think Auckland would be the best chance for the Olympics to come back to Oceania within the next 50 years.

There's no reason it couldn't do it _ it pulled off a fantanstic Commonwealth Games in 1990, two Americas Cup campaigns and will get a Rugby World Cup on its own before too long.

The main block will be a government that has the will to go for it. There'll be a lot of internal critics and naysayers if it ever did announce a bid. It will probably depend if it can fit a full bid in between election cycles.

Just believe in yourself Kiwis, you could do it.

Well, in my mind, New Zealand is one of only 3 countries in the Southern Hemisphere that could host the OWG's (Chile and Argentina are the others), but for all the reasons stated in other forums, I don't see the OWG's going below the Equator.

As for the Summer Games, I think Auckland is a possibility, especially if they have modern infrastructure and the Games become a bit smaller, however, I don't see the Olympics going to Oceania's corner of the world again until at least the 2040's (there are really only a few countries and cities in that area that could host).  I base that number on the fact that a 44 year period separated the 2 Aussie cities from hosting.  By then, Auckland could have a fantastic bid ready.

My friend do you know Brazil to say this stupid coment?? OK, Argentina and Chile are better places to live, but they are failed!!!!! Brazil is the only country in South America that has money to host an Olympic Games! And Rio de Janeiro is the most beautiful city in South America!!

Well, in my mind, New Zealand is one of only 3 countries in the Southern Hemisphere that could host the OWG's (Chile and Argentina are the others), but for all the reasons stated in other forums, I don't see the OWG's going below the Equator.

As for the Summer Games, I think Auckland is a possibility, especially if they have modern infrastructure and the Games become a bit smaller, however, I don't see the Olympics going to Oceania's corner of the world again until at least the 2040's (there are really only a few countries and cities in that area that could host).  I base that number on the fact that a 44 year period separated the 2 Aussie cities from hosting.  By then, Auckland could have a fantastic bid ready.

My friend do you know Brazil to say this stupid coment?? OK, Argentina and Chile are better places to live, but they are failed!!!!! Brazil is the only country in South America that has money to host an Olympic Games! And Rio de Janeiro is the most beautiful city in South America!!

What's wrong with this. First, let me start by saying that the original proposition dealt with WINTER games. My friend, I can't remember much snow in beautiful Rio.

Second _ Have you been to South America? Yes, Rio is beautiful, and will most likely get to host the first South American games before too long. Buenos Airies might have been Rio's competition once, but Argentina will have to rebuild itself now first. But to describe Chile as failed is ridiculous. Having been in Santiago recently, it is probably the most prosperous and vibrant city economically that I have seen in South America. Not only is Santiago a contender, It  could host both Summer and Winter games. So don't knock Chile, Santiago _ I actually think Rio has more social, economic problems.

I seriously doubt that a nation smaller than 4 million has the extra multi-millions, or in Athens case 1 Billion, to spend on hosting the world. Sure New Zealand may have the right geographical venues in hosting, but I am serieously sceptical about its infrastructure other than Auckland.

Sorry New Zealand, but hats off to you in 35 years!!

I seriously doubt that a nation smaller than 4 million has the extra multi-millions, or in Athens case 1 Billion, to spend on hosting the world. Sure New Zealand may have the right geographical venues in hosting, but I am serieously sceptical about its infrastructure other than Auckland.

Sorry New Zealand, but hats off to you in 35 years!!

I doubt that New Zealand (auckland) could host the SUMMER olympics. the SOG are just to large ofr auckland but when it comes to the WINTER games Im have little doubt in my mine that New Zealand can host a WINTER olympic games. The winter games would do so much for New Zealand and it would put NZ on the world skiing map.

I think the SH countries that can host the WOG are:

1st: New Zealand and Chile (both have great skiing, good financing, NZ is a highly developed country and Chile is developing fast, I dont know about Chile but New Zealand has a big skiing culture.

2nd: Australia (they have the money and have shown that they can host the best olympic ever but there ski areas are not as good to Chiles and New Zealands.)

3rd: Argentina ( they new to work out there BLING BLING problems)

I doubt that New Zealand (auckland) could host the SUMMER olympics. the SOG are just to large ofr auckland but when it comes to the WINTER games Im have little doubt in my mine that New Zealand can host a WINTER olympic games. The winter games would do so much for New Zealand and it would put NZ on the world skiing map.

1st: New Zealand and Chile (both have great skiing, good financing, NZ is a highly developed country and Chile is developing fast, I dont know about Chile but New Zealand has a big skiing culture.

2nd: Australia (they have the money and have shown that they can host the best olympic ever but there ski areas are not as good to Chiles and New Zealands.)

I think you have it the wrong way around. I reckon it would be really hard to convince the IOC to award a Winter Games down south, but that Auckland would stand a chance to host a Summer Games. Its done a couple of excellent Commonwealth Games, done the Americas Cup, and NZ is in the middle of a tourism boom (due in  no small part to The Lord Of The Rings) so hotels shouldn't be a problem. It's probably the best chance Oceania has of getting another OG in the next 50 years (I don't think Australia can get a repeat chance before 2050). I'm not saying it's ready straight away, but a bid from the mid-2020s onward could be a possibility.

As to the Winter Games, even supposing the Southern Hemisphere had a snowflake's chance in (southern) January, Australia isn't a contender. There's nowhere with an Olympic-standard downhill course  for starters (Did they ever show "The Ice Dream" in NZ _ the comedians Roy and HG did a great Smiggin Holes spoof bid, said we could get an olympic-class downhill run by dumping our landfill garbage on top of Mt Koskiusko).

Otherwise, the only southern Winter Games contenders would be NZ (Christchurch), Chile (Santiago) and ARgentia (Bariloche).

• Like 1

I think you have it the wrong way around. I reckon it would be really hard to convince the IOC to award a Winter Games down south, but that Auckland would stand a chance to host a Summer Games. Its done a couple of excellent Commonwealth Games, done the Americas Cup, and NZ is in the middle of a tourism boom (due in  no small part to The Lord Of The Rings) so hotels shouldn't be a problem. It's probably the best chance Oceania has of getting another OG in the next 50 years (I don't think Australia can get a repeat chance before 2050). I'm not saying it's ready straight away, but a bid from the mid-2020s onward could be a possibility.

As to the Winter Games, even supposing the Southern Hemisphere had a snowflake's chance in (southern) January, Australia isn't a contender. There's nowhere with an Olympic-standard downhill course  for starters (Did they ever show "The Ice Dream" in NZ _ the comedians Roy and HG did a great Smiggin Holes spoof bid, said we could get an olympic-class downhill run by dumping our landfill garbage on top of Mt Koskiusko).

Otherwise, the only southern Winter Games contenders would be NZ (Christchurch), Chile (Santiago) and ARgentia (Bariloche).

mmmmmm..... id love to see the games in AKL but....... 3 main props: infrastructure, population and money

mmmmmm..... id love to see the games in AKL but....... 3 main props: infrastructure, population and money

i agree.