Can New Zealand host an Olympics?

Hachiko

But I mean, Santiago in Chile would be a better choice. Even then, Santiago would probably bid for a Summer Olympics then a Winter Olympics.

I may not know your winter sports that well, but it's clear neither do you. I can bet there are FAR more men practicing bobsledding in France, but the numbers I put up for Sochi are the ones who were able to qualify FOR the Olympics. You do have national qualifiers don't you??? That's where they get the pick. There is no way that it just so happens the only French athletes that compete in bobsledding happen to be the same ones who automatically qualified. They HAD to have beat someone to get that spot.

We have only one track in France and this track is located in a small village, you have a lot tourists who go there during winter and summer holydays but not a lot of habitants who live there. Bobsleigh is a very expensive sport and french atheltes don't have sponsor to help them to buy equipment. If you want to be competitive you need to have strong sponsor, in France we haven't because Bobsleigh isn't popular. It's the reason why we have only one team and nobody else.

After Naganno 1998 we didn't have a team during several years.

We don't have national qualifiers.

Bobsleigh is not famous in France like the other ice sport : skeleton and luge.

Bobsleigh has never been famous in France, it's cultural i think and even with the track we built for Albertville, it remained not popular.

Let's follow the bold in order, shall we?

Ok, so it might not be much of a benefit for Northern athletes, but it will certainly be very useful for Australian, New Zealand and others in the region. It adds a new venue to the Championship calendar.

At least spell Sochi correctly in English, if you intend to write in it.

Can't develop tourism like Canada? Ironic for a current Canadian government funding absolutely 0 Dollars to Canadian tourism advertising. 100% Pure NZ is like the best tourism advertising campaign of any country out there.

The Championship calendar happens during the north hemisphere winter. You couldn't add a date during the summer. It won't be possible.

Do you have lot of athletes who practice Ski Jumps and Bobosleigh in Australia and New Zealand ? Nobody. Do you think you will have more athletes if you build this kind of infrastructures ? None. It's very cultural sports.

Who are they other regional winter countries in Oceania excepted Australia and New Zealand ? They don't exist.

Sorry for Sochi, I don't know why in french we have a "T".

When I said you couldn't develop tourism like in Canada it's because Canada is close to densely populated region. New Zealand is isolated in the middle of Pacific. Of course NZ have a lot of tourism but it won't be massive like in Canada for exemple.

They will build a track for who? Well how about regional athletes? Perhaps Australia and NZ for a start. With a local track, there's better training options and our teams can get better. You have the legacy of another venue in the Championships circuit and I was comparing NZ to Calgary simply due to Calgary using it's ski jumps and sliding track for tourism purposes, alongside the regular use as training and competition venues. NZ could do the same with it's ski jumps and sliding track.

Look, in France we build for Albertville 1992 a bobsleigh track, and it was very difficult to develop this sport since. 23 years later we have only 4 athletes who practice this sport and during some years we had nobody.

If you build a bobsleigh track the legacy will be only a tourist attraction, it's a very expensive attraction without a great legacy.

You don't have regional athletes who practice this sport, and it's the most expensive winter sport to practice... It won't be famous in Oceania, deal with this it's a fact. Bobsleigh shouldn't be Olympic, or only when a country has already a track.

And it won't be a new venue for the championships circuit because it's happens the north hemisphere winter.

It's a long shot yes, but when it's the Southern Hemisphere's time, NZ could be the choice. Australia could also be the choice, but only if we're willing to develop a 800m drop for Men's Downhill.

I can't imagine WoG in Australia. And how could you develop a 800m drop Men's Downhill ? Do you have a possibility somewhere ? New Zealand can but Australia can't... PC 2018 will destroyed a protected national forest for their Downhill track, it's not a good solution. I don't think Australia has the same feeling with environment than Korea.

If NZ is ready to waste a huge amount of money without a great legacy, it remains the only way for WoG in Oceania.

Tulsa is beginning to sound like Tela...

Still...to bury this I'm gonna go to the negative.

NZ WILL NOT ENTERTAIN THE POSSIBILITY OF HOSTING A WINTER OLYMPICS THIS SIDE OF 2040. THERE IS NO ACCEPTIBLE BENEFIT TO COST RATIO ANYMORE (it may have been in the 1990s-early00). NZ WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR IT THROUGH GOVERNMENT REVENUE AND NO ONE WANTS TO LEAVE A LEGACY OF DEBT FOR THEIR GRANDCHILDREN TO PAY FOR...

THE SUMMER OLYMPICS JUST CANNOT HAPPEN AT THE CURRENT TOTAL GDP LEVELS, THERE ARE SIMPLY NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE IN NZ TO PAY FOR IT, EVEN LOOKING AT A PROJECTED 6MILLION BY 2040. AUCKLAND CANNOT FUND ANY LARGE EVENT WITHOUT GOVERNMENT SUPPORT.

AT THE MOMENT THE FEELING IS TOWARDS A COMMONWEALTH GAMES FOR CHRISTCHURCH BUT NOT UNTILL THE LATE 20'S - 30'S.

YES YOU COULD SAY "WHAT ABOUT THE YOUTH VERSIONS?"...SERIOUSLY? THEY STILL HAVE TO PROVE THEMSELVES. WOULDN'T GO NEAR THEM FOR ANOTHER FOUR CYCLES.

ONE HIT SPORTS EVENTS ARE WHAT NZ CAN COPE WITH, OR SECOND TIER EVENTS...THE OLYMPIC DREAM WILL ONLY EVER BE THAT FOR A COUPLE OF GENERATIONS YET.

How could it have been possible during the 90's? Just curious, but you'd still would have had to build many key venues.

They planned to...but as usual left it and left it...before they knew it, the Asian Economic Crisis hit and then the GFC.