Can New Zealand host an Olympics?

Hachiko

Christchurch can host the Winter Olympics.

Mt Hutt has a listed vertical of 683m for current skiing BUT looking at the trail maps and topography of the resort ... current trails do not go to the current peak and the ski runs could extend lower. Methven for example is at 319m. Nearby Mount Taylor has a huge prominence of over 1600m.

Porter Heights is another resort where other alpine events as well as ski jumping and bobsleigh facilities

Christchurch has a population of over 350,000 people, an international airport, a harbour for potential cruise ship accommodation, 3 teams that could use legacy indoor facilities (Tactix-Netball, Rams-Basketball, Red Devils - Ice Hockey) whilst the Crusaders might be able to use a Forsyth Barr type large indoor stadia.

Finally due to Earthquake events, there is going to be further investment rebuilding the city so this development might have the option of being developed for Winter Olympic use and post games legacy.

And the recovery from the Earthquakes would be great emotional tale with the hosting of the first southern hemisphere Winter Olympics the crowning moment which might influence the votes of IOC members.

Oh dear god, this topic is over a decade old???

Not sure if I've responded but here's my take in a nutshell:

Can NZ host an Olympics? Yes technically they can with the new rules in place.

Will NZ ever host an Olympics? More than likely no. Their best chance would be with the Summer ones, not the Winter ones.

Can NZ host an Olympics? Yes technically they can with the new rules in place.

Will NZ ever host an Olympics? More than likely no. Their best chance would be with the Summer ones, not the Winter ones.

Not this side of 2052...unless NZ really commits to a 200year birthday present to it's self in 2040...But sh!t it'll cost my kids a mint to host. :wacko:

Again, it will be hard for a Winter Olympics to be in New Zealand. Try the Summer Youth Olympics.

All past and future SYOG hosts so far have a bigger population than the whole of NZ. If the IOC was serious about a modest approach there, then this should reflect in their choice of host, but I don't see this yet. So, I'd be very doubtful about NZ chances there...

All past and future SYOG hosts so far have a bigger population than the whole of NZ. If the IOC was serious about a modest approach there, then this should reflect in their choice of host, but I don't see this yet. So, I'd be very doubtful about NZ chances there...

Quite. For anybody who hasn't quite grasped Stefan's point, we're not just talking about host countries here- the SYOG host cities declared so far have all had bigger metropolitan-area populations than the whole of NZ.

• Like 1

Quite. For anybody who hasn't quite grasped Stefan's point, we're not just talking about host countries here- the SYOG host cities declared so far have all had bigger metropolitan-area populations than the whole of NZ.

And to be honest...We don't want the debt!

NZ would rather go for singular sport events or smaller scale multisport event such as the CWGs (which it can afford) or World Maters Games.

I agree with Stefan - until the IOC gets serious about paring down some sports and eliminating several events (thus reducing requirements for the Olympic Village etc), New Zealand (as much as I'd love the Olympic Games there) doesn't stand a chance. The only city that could ever host the Summer Olympics is Auckland - but with the current programme of sports? No.

New Zealand has less population than the majority of last host, excepted Sotchi in fact.

New Zealand is too far from everywhere to be attractive for supporters and to get massive tourism post olympic games. There won't have legacy.

What will they do with a bobsleigh track, ski jump infrastructure, massive transport infrastructures and hotels ? In south Island you have 1 million inhabitants... It will be a terrible wast of money for two weeks.
The Winter Olympic size isn't adapted to a country like New Zealand.

WoG or SoG will remain a dream for New Zealand but not something realistic. Maybe in 20 or 30 years, Auckland could be a potential summer host, if they get more population and more infrastructures.

New Zealand has less population than the majority of last host, excepted Sotchi in fact.

New Zealand is too far from everywhere to be attractive for supporters and to get massive tourism post olympic games. There won't have legacy.

What will they do with a bobsleigh track, ski jump infrastructure, massive transport infrastructures and hotels ? In south Island you have 1 million inhabitants... It will be a terrible wast of money for two weeks.

WoG or SoG will remain a dream for New Zealand but not something realistic. Maybe in 20 or 30 years, Auckland could be a potential summer host, if they get more population and more infrastructures.

Yawn...

What massive tourism legacy? I thought NZ has the best tourism ad campaign going around (100% pure NZ), with or without the legacy of the Lord of the Rings films.

What will they do with the sliding track? Ski jumps? Aside from adding another venue for the championships circuit in those sports, they're training venues for the Northern Hemisphere athletes in NZ's winter (their summer) and a regional training venue for NZ and Australian athletes.

Hotels? Have you considered cruise ships to make the bulk of accommodation say Christchurch would use? Or the fact that media could have their own accommodation in serviced apartments like the Olympic Village?

Auckland could theoretically host a Summer Olympics if the North Shore plays a key role. North Harbour Stadium could serve an Olympic Park, with the existing bus rapid transit becoming a rail line. Downtown Auckland could have much of it's docklands area serving a much needed exhibition centre and perhaps some other venues. The city doesn't need to wait, it simply needs the support. They were supposed to bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games, but didn't put forward one.

Auckland could theoretically host a Summer Olympics if the North Shore plays a key role. North Harbour Stadium could serve an Olympic Park, with the existing bus rapid transit becoming a rail line. Downtown Auckland could have much of it's docklands area serving a much needed exhibition centre and perhaps some other venues. The city doesn't need to wait, it simply needs the support. They were supposed to bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games, but didn't put forward one.

With another million people added to it's catchment and would need to included the outer urban areas, Hamilton and Tauranga...It would be a stretch but achievable...a Stadium New Zealand would help and Auckland simply needs to get it's Sh!t together.

Where it will all fall down in cost would be security! It would have to be a military operation, you are never going to stop the determined, and goodness knows how many laws would have to be passed in parliament for that...The RWC was a cakewalk compared.

What massive tourism legacy? I thought NZ has the best tourism ad campaign going around (100% pure NZ), with or without the legacy of the Lord of the Rings films.

What will they do with the sliding track? Ski jumps? Aside from adding another venue for the championships circuit in those sports, they're training venues for the Northern Hemisphere athletes in NZ's winter (their summer) and a regional training venue for NZ and Australian athletes.

Hotels? Have you considered cruise ships to make the bulk of accommodation say Christchurch would use? Or the fact that media could have their own accommodation in serviced apartments like the Olympic Village?

The championships circuit is in winter but in the north hemisphere, never they will come in New Zealand.

North Hemisphere athletes have already summer infrastructure for training. You can use Ski jumps during the summer.

Nobody practice sports like Bobsleigh or Ski jumps in south hemisphere and I can't imagine they will practice more after a potential WoG. For exemple in France we don't have a bobsleigh team, because isn't a popular sport and we have one the best track in the world...

When you build massive infrastructures like for WoG you need to use them after WoG... In New Zealand I imagine It won't be.

About Auckland, it's a small city, I don't know if they need massive infrastructure too... Really NZ don't have the potential to host responsive Olympic games. After if they can wast money for nothing of course they can...

For exemple in France we don't have a bobsleigh team, because isn't a popular sport and we have one the best track in the world...

What??? For Sochi you had a french 2-man team that placed 20th and a 2 4-man teams that placed 17th and 23rd. Just because you suck at Bobsledding doesn't mean you have to pretend it doesn't exist.

The championships circuit is in winter but in the north hemisphere, never they will come in New Zealand.

North Hemisphere athletes have already summer infrastructure for training. You can use Ski jumps during the summer.

Nobody practice sports like Bobsleigh or Ski jumps in south hemisphere and I can't imagine they will practice more after a potential WoG. For exemple in France we don't have a bobsleigh team, because isn't a popular sport and we have one the best track in the world...

When you build massive infrastructures like for WoG you need to use them after WoG... In New Zealand I imagine It won't be.

About Auckland, it's a small city, I don't know if they need massive infrastructure too... Really NZ don't have the potential to host responsive Olympic games. After if they can wast money for nothing of course they can...

The Championships in Ski Jumping and the sliding events could come to NZ post Olympics. The venues would be there, allowing for such events to be held in the Southern Hemisphere for the first time.

As for Northern Hemisphere athletes being able to use their own ski jumps in their summer, well yes, but alpine athletes already head south to use ski resorts in NZ, this allows for ski jumpers to use proper facilities as well in snow conditions.

When NZ does build the massive infrastructure for a Winter Olympics, it'll be there for the long run. There's the use for regional athletes, Northern Hemisphere athletes, Championships and of course the tourist factor, much like what Calgary has done with their ski jumps and sliding tracks.

I wouldn't call Auckland too small a city either. At 1.5 million and growing it could potentially host. Especially if the docklands area is cleared for major civic and sporting projects.If Albany is used as the Olympic Park, that would be a better option than building an Olympic Stadium downtown where it would be congested.

Auckland is still a better choice than Tulsa!

I don't know why everyone keeps on about New Zealand hosting a Winter Olympics. It won't happen. A Summer Youth Olympics is more realistic.

I don't know why everyone keeps on about New Zealand hosting a Winter Olympics. It won't happen. A Summer Youth Olympics is more realistic.

:angry: SO YOU KEEP SAYING...And we already know that! Walk away now!

• Like 2

Actually, a Summer Youth Olympics is NOT realistic, for an event that probably would have no significance in the near future (especially with less and less interested cities). They want the real deal, not some half baked youth version.

The Championships in Ski Jumping and the sliding events could come to NZ post Olympics. The venues would be there, allowing for such events to be held in the Southern Hemisphere for the first time.

As for Northern Hemisphere athletes being able to use their own ski jumps in their summer, well yes, but alpine athletes already head south to use ski resorts in NZ, this allows for ski jumpers to use proper facilities as well in snow conditions.

When NZ does build the massive infrastructure for a Winter Olympics, it'll be there for the long run. There's the use for regional athletes, Northern Hemisphere athletes, Championships and of course the tourist factor, much like what Calgary has done with their ski jumps and sliding tracks.

I wouldn't call Auckland too small a city either. At 1.5 million and growing it could potentially host. Especially if the docklands area is cleared for major civic and sporting projects.If Albany is used as the Olympic Park, that would be a better option than building an Olympic Stadium downtown where it would be congested.

Auckland is still a better choice than Tulsa!

Who will watch this event in New Zealand ? Nobody practice this sport there, New Zealander doesn't care about Ski-jumps and nobody in Europe and North America would like go in New Zealand for one stage.

The heart of ski jump is in Europe. You have some sports like this and you can't export them, because it's cultural and too expensive to introduce in new countries.

Indeed some ski teams go to NZ or Argentina during summer but for Ski Jump you don't need to have snow, the main part of the sport is aerial and it's less expensive to train in Europe than to go in South Hemisphere... Every summer you have Ski Jump competition in Europe... You couldn't change this even if you build a track in the south.

You can't compare Canada which is a massive winter country with New Zealand which is very small. In Stochi Canada had 220 athletes, New Zealand only 15. NZ got 0 medals...

Canada is in America where you have a huge amount of winter tourism possible, in New Zealand, excepted Australian or New Zealander it's very limited. You couldn't develop tourism like in Canada. It's the reality , you don't have the same potential.

New Zealand has some amazing spot for ski but it remains something limited for local habitants and a very few number of tourist. It's not enough to develop this event with WoG.

What??? For Sochi you had a french 2-man team that placed 20th and a 2 4-man teams that placed 17th and 23rd. Just because you suck at Bobsledding doesn't mean you have to pretend it doesn't exist.

You had 6 men who practice bobsleigh in France now they are 4, the 2-man stopped. You have for 65 millions of population only 4 men who practice this sport and bobsleigh come from Alps, it's nothing.

maybe it's the less popular sport in France.

In New Zealand you won't have somebody... this sport doesn't exist there. They will build a track for who ? It would be a stupid wast of money like ski-jumps. Maybe IOC should stop bobsleigh like Olympic sports, every time is a terrible waste of money.

Who will watch this event in New Zealand ? Nobody practice this sport there, New Zealander doesn't care about Ski-jumps and nobody in Europe and North America would like go in New Zealand for one stage.

The heart of ski jump is in Europe. You have some sports like this and you can't export them, because it's cultural and too expensive to introduce in new countries.

Indeed some ski teams go to NZ or Argentina during summer but for Ski Jump you don't need to have snow, the main part of the sport is aerial and it's less expensive to train in Europe than to go in South Hemisphere... Every summer you have Ski Jump competition in Europe... You couldn't change this even if you build a track in the south.

You can't compare Canada which is a massive winter country with New Zealand which is very small. In Stochi Canada had 220 athletes, New Zealand only 15. NZ got 0 medals...

Canada is in America where you have a huge amount of winter tourism possible, in New Zealand, excepted Australian or New Zealander it's very limited. You couldn't develop tourism like in Canada. It's the reality , you don't have the same potential.

New Zealand has some amazing spot for ski but it remains something limited for local habitants and a very few number of tourist. It's not enough to develop this event with WoG.

You had 6 men who practice bobsleigh in France now they are 4, the 2-man stopped. You have for 65 millions of population only 4 men who practice this sport and bobsleigh come from Alps, it's nothing.

maybe it's the less popular sport in France.

In New Zealand you won't have somebody... this sport doesn't exist there. They will build a track for who ? It would be a stupid wast of money like ski-jumps. Maybe IOC should stop bobsleigh like Olympic sports, every time is a terrible waste of money.

I may not know your winter sports that well, but it's clear neither do you. I can bet there are FAR more men practicing bobsledding in France, but the numbers I put up for Sochi are the ones who were able to qualify FOR the Olympics. You do have national qualifiers don't you??? That's where they get the pick. There is no way that it just so happens the only French athletes that compete in bobsledding happen to be the same ones who automatically qualified. They HAD to have beat someone to get that spot.

Let's follow the bold in order, shall we?

Ok, so it might not be much of a benefit for Northern athletes, but it will certainly be very useful for Australian, New Zealand and others in the region. It adds a new venue to the Championship calendar.

At least spell Sochi correctly in English, if you intend to write in it.

Can't develop tourism like Canada? Ironic for a current Canadian government funding absolutely 0 Dollars to Canadian tourism advertising. 100% Pure NZ is like the best tourism advertising campaign of any country out there.

They will build a track for who? Well how about regional athletes? Perhaps Australia and NZ for a start. With a local track, there's better training options and our teams can get better. You have the legacy of another venue in the Championships circuit and I was comparing NZ to Calgary simply due to Calgary using it's ski jumps and sliding track for tourism purposes, alongside the regular use as training and competition venues. NZ could do the same with it's ski jumps and sliding track.

It's a long shot yes, but when it's the Southern Hemisphere's time, NZ could be the choice. Australia could also be the choice, but only if we're willing to develop a 800m drop for Men's Downhill.