Can New Zealand host an Olympics?

Hachiko

I guess it is very difficult to propose the idea that the biggest competition, occurring only once every four years, would take place at dates that are normally associated with the training season without that build-up and preparations, smaller competitions and everything else that normally lead to the Olympic Games. Also maybe people just wouldn't be tuned in to watching winter sports, snow and ice and be reminded of the cold season in the summer warmth. Southern hemisphere viewers may be used to it but they are a minority anyway both globally and probably in their own countries as well.

Personally I find the southern winter games an interesting proposition but very difficult to become reality.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just heard a story that the small Auckland Rail loop may be delayed until 2020 due to budget constraints so makes an Olympic hosting, whether Summer or Winter almost ridiculous if they can't plan and build a small rail link on time and budget.

The vote to halt the link until govt funding was approved was voted down today 16-7.

In the end, it was the usual suspects who are so connected to their iron overloads who voted it down - Cameron Brewer, Dick Quax, George Woods and co.

So, we continue.

We can be thankful for the precinct development of the downtown shopping centre( I use the term shopping centre liberally), it's going to be the thing that gets this pushed along.

As mentioned elsewhere, there is a proposal by local businessmen and women for Queenstown to bid for 2026!

I'd say let them go for it as long as taxpayer dollars are not spent during the initial studies...Because that's when reality will kick in and if anything, divert attention to prehaps hosting the smaller more manageable Youth version of the games.

this is where bringing in another city might actually work - if the rest of the ice venues were in Chch --- put the second ice hockey arena at Forsyth Barr in Dunedin. A slight concession - but it happens in the SOG with Football.

It might be that Forsyth Barr will require such an expensive retro fit to hold ice events, that it would be cheaper just to build a smaller purpose built venue and move afterwards

In normal circumstances I would say there's no chance for southern Winter Games, not yet at least, and even though this might be pointless and purely hypothetical speculation, would NZ stand a chance in a bid race as weak as 2022 has turned out to be?

• 2 months later...

I've always loved this photo of Queenstown

DQ080232.jpg

I think that above link included stuff from the Queenstown winter festival

1001157_10151450631251714_1877848436_n.j

I'm not really a booster for Queenstown as a winter Olympic host, but certainly am for it being a winter sport destination (I'm realistic)

5265079.jpg

Amazing contrasts in seasons...at the moment been hovering around 30°c this summer along with my old hometown of Wanaka.

Bummer that Queenstown oval wasn't chosen for CWC matches.

Ten years ago I was all for NZ hosting the OWGs with Christchurch as anchor host...but here in 2015 and with the IOC in such a mess, I wouldn't want to put NZ in a high cost high risk situation. It will have minimal return on investment and leave the Southern Lakes District Council and probably the rest of an angry NZ in debt...

10 years ago NZ would still have been a high cost and high risk situation as you would still face the issue of having a Winter Olympic games in the northern hemisphere summer months, as well as face the issue of it overlapping with the World Cup which both organizations try not to do. IOC and be a huge disaster or a huge success of an organization and it wouldn't change the risk factor of a NZ WOGs

The dearist part of hosting the OWGs is the Security...That's the killer cost for an event that NZ just wouldn't fathom stomaching. Also need to understand the NZ sports psychology...We play winter sports on green fields and are mainly a summer oriented nation. Yes we have the ski fields but it's seem more as a novelty more that serious sports. Expectations were high in early 2014 for a long awaited medal...it all came to nought. And a skeptical NZ walked away fustrated. There is more chance of Australia hosting Winter on their medal track record alone.

I wonder if New Zealand's isolation would make security cheaper than in someplace like London.

Not necessarily. The 1974 Commonwealth Games took place in Christchurch. It was the first major sporting event held after the 1972 Munich Olympics. Security was beefed up for such an event despite NZ's isolation and the fact that Israel wasn't competing.

So all it takes is another major incident to cause secuirty to be beefed up more than it usually would.

Not necessarily. The 1974 Commonwealth Games took place in Christchurch. It was the first major sporting event held after the 1972 Munich Olympics. Security was beefed up for such an event despite NZ's isolation and the fact that Israel wasn't competing.

So all it takes is another major incident to cause secuirty to be beefed up more than it usually would.

:wacko: Security at the now opened Cricket World Cup has been discreet but the bill for it sits at @ $100million, and that's just for the NZ half of the hosting, for eight teams and grounds, hotel and players protection. RWC2011 security bill is still a secret but it is ultimately estimated @ $240million. These sports barely get a mention outside the old Commonwealth sphere of influence so imagine what the bill for an Olympics security would be on a small country like NZ.

I don't know if it's a good idea New Zealand trying to bid for the Winter Olympics. I still think a Summer Youth Olympics would be a much better idea.

I don't know if it's a good idea New Zealand trying to bid for the Winter Olympics. I still think a Summer Youth Olympics would be a much better idea.

*winter youth edition.

Although supposed reforms are to bring the costs down...I just cant see NZ hosting the main events. Unlike 20 years ago when it was a possibility, can never justify hosting the OWGs nowadays. There is an idea of a shared OSG venues with Australia but it would be the bigger country that would be host nation...and even their economy is in no state to pay for one in future.

I still say NZ could host a Winter Olympics someday, perhaps spreading the Games around with Christchurch, Queenstown and Wanaka (for that all important 800m drop). Christcurch has the ice events (the city could use a new athletics stadium and aquatics centre), cross country skiing/biathlon and some alpine events. Queenstown hosts more alpine events, as well as the ski jumps and sliding track. Wanaka hosts the Men's Downhill.

Don't give up the dream!

I still say NZ could host a Winter Olympics someday, perhaps spreading the Games around with Christchurch, Queenstown and Wanaka (for that all important 800m drop). Christcurch has the ice events (the city could use a new athletics stadium and aquatics centre), cross country skiing/biathlon and some alpine events. Queenstown hosts more alpine events, as well as the ski jumps and sliding track. Wanaka hosts the Men's Downhill.

Don't give up the dream!

No, I don't think they can.

Also, I still say New Zealand could host the Summer Youth Olympics instead of the Winter Youth Olympics.

I was brought up in Wanaka, and still have a home there.

Although it has grown...It still is a quaint lakeside town and we want to keep it that way. Queenstown is your more touristy place had has the airport to handle it as well. Wanaka has an airport but can only handle the Q300 or ATR types.

Treble Cone can handle an Olympic skiing event but where would you put the Ski Jumps and Sled Track? Everything needs to be close together.

Archived