Can New Zealand host an Olympics?

Hachiko

The option of a Christchurch games would be very interesting.

1. A lot of northern hemisphere teams use NZ for their 'summer training' so it would not be a totally alien environment for them - and to hold the Winter Olympics out of season on a single occasion would not be completely unwarranted if the notion is to grow the sports represented. Similarily this could be extended to building Ski Jumping hills, for ski jumpers to train 'out of season' whilst the advent of temporary sliding tracks means such a solution could be offered in a NZ Winter Olympics bid.

2. Much is made of the biggest vertical in the South Island being Mt Hutt at 693m, below the minimum FIS 800m requirement. What isn't mentioned are the following two points. In Calgary 1988, the normal vertical on the mens downhill course was below 800m, and what the skiers did was travel further up the mountain to a purpose built ski hut. The actual 'prominence' of Mt Hutt is 1,292m (2,185m above SL) so unlike Quebec where Le Massif is 806m and the vertical already 770m, Mt Hutt has quite a lot of potential ground to extend the vertical upwards.

Mt Hutt is about 90km from Christchurch, and there is a secondary club field at Porter Heights with an existing vertical of 620m which could be extended.

3. After the trajedy of the earthquakes, Christchurch will be rebuilt, and it would be an ideal opportunity to include new arenas and stadiums.

A new stadium for the Crusaders and Canterbury Cricket will likely be built and at 35,000 seats+, would be big enough for the opening and closing ceremonies.

Canterbury Arena could be rebuilt or refurbished to provide one of the larger indoor arenas and is mainly used by the popular netball team. Both a local basketball team and two ice hockey teams play in seperate arenas which could extended to form the two smaller arenas. A speed skating track could be converted into a conference venue as in Turin, or a local community sports facility as in Vancouver. This means a single temporary 10,000 seat arena need be built to be moved elsewhere afterwards and I imagine there are several cities that would fancy a 5,000 seat arena in their midst post games

With an international airport, and seen as the gateway to the South Island and the mass influx of tourists on a yearly basis, Christchurch could be an extremely interesting candidate for 2026 with at least three catches to woo the IOC with - 1) rebuilding a city, 2) taking winter sports to a new part of the world 3) the first 'iconic' southern hemisphere games.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im not exactly someone who sees the possibility of a Winter Games as realistic or likely, but a relevant bit of press here about world cup events being held as part of Winter Games NZ 2013.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/sport/7316990/Winter-Games-boost-for-2013

Where would the money come from to bid? The National government are running on a zero budget and want to do so until 2015/6 when it says it will get back into surplus. I can't see them spending millions on a bid, let alone finance a games. When they are going to veto a vote on giving mondays off if public holidays fall on the weekends due to money, then i cant see them approving the release of millions of dollars to bid.

Plus the public wouldn't take kindly to cuts in public services and higher costs of living, but bidding for the winter olympics.

the first 'iconic' southern hemisphere games.

Oh yes because the Sydney games were such a failure :rolleyes:

Christcurch could not host an olympics. Too unreliable. I loved New Zealand but there has been what over 10 earthquakes in 2 years. Even if they win whats to stop the earthquakes. it could happen anyway during the 7 years. Auckland for Summer olympics in future but not near future.

Auckland should host a Commonwealth Games first using North Harbour Stadium as part of it's plan, with the surrounding area as an Olympic Park. Minor transport works could occur for this lesser event, whilst major works will be proposed for an Olympics.

Where would the money come from to bid? The National government are running on a zero budget and want to do so until 2015/6 when it says it will get back into surplus. I can't see them spending millions on a bid, let alone finance a games. When they are going to veto a vote on giving mondays off if public holidays fall on the weekends due to money, then i cant see them approving the release of millions of dollars to bid.

Plus the public wouldn't take kindly to cuts in public services and higher costs of living, but bidding for the winter olympics.

I agree with you. It would be great to host the Winter Olympic Games in New Zealand, but unrealistic in the current economic climate.

I could easily see a YOGs in the nearer future. Winter or Summer.

Perhaps, but considering that the YOG's are getting lesser and lesser relevant and might die soon enough, why go for this? Unless one thinks the actual Games are unattainable. The YOG's (Summer most likely, since Winter would need a speed skating oval, ski jump and more, which would contradict the existing/temporary idea of the games), although cheaper, seems too look all so generic now with the uniformity of the logo, torch and the like.

But the thing is with the WOGs, which I think a lot of us would love to see in NZ, it all goes back to the whole out of season scheduling thing to bring the notion collapsing down. I just don't think it's a possibility now. With the WYOGs at least, the IOC might be more willing to take the leap.

Summer, yeah, like your notion of the CWGs for Auckland, I think the YOGs could be a good appetite whetting, lead- up event too.

I don't think the YOGs are gonna disappear soon. It remains to be seen if they help buy IOC karma points.

Oh yes because the Sydney games were such a failure :rolleyes:

Christcurch could not host an olympics. Too unreliable. I loved New Zealand but there has been what over 10 earthquakes in 2 years. Even if they win whats to stop the earthquakes. it could happen anyway during the 7 years. Auckland for Summer olympics in future but not near future.

I wasn't aware Syndney had held the Winter Olympics.

Maybe you should read properly before commenting?

But the thing is with the WOGs, which I think a lot of us would love to see in NZ, it all goes back to the whole out of season scheduling thing to bring the notion collapsing down. I just don't think it's a possibility now. With the WYOGs at least, the IOC might be more willing to take the leap.

I doubt it, Rols. The WYOGs happen in the same year as the Summer Games. The northern hemisphere's summer is New Zealand's winter. That would mean the Summer Games and WYOGs would end up close to each other, potentially back to back. I don't see the IOC going for that kind of schedule. I think it would be very tough on the NOCs too.

I doubt it, Rols. The WYOGs happen in the same year as the Summer Games. The northern hemisphere's summer is New Zealand's winter. That would mean the Summer Games and WYOGs would end up close to each other, potentially back to back. I don't see the IOC going for that kind of schedule. I think it would be very tough on the NOCs too.

Yeah, I'd realised that soon after I posted that. I wondered if maybe they could fit in as an appetiser to the SOGs - but then the IOC do like to protect the profile of their main game - and after, of course, they'd run into probs with the Paralympics.

Sigh! Yeah, it's just that it would be nice to see a southern WOGs - even if it is a Youth version - but I've long accepted it just seems pretty impossible.

Or maybe you should learn to write better "the first 'iconic' southern hemisphere games."

I can't see where you said first iconic winter southen hemisphere games

Err, as the entire post referenced winter sports exactly what did you think I was referring to?

Clearly it would not have been Sydney, because Melbourne 56 was the first southern summer games

Having a winter olympics in June/July when it would clash with the FIFA World Cup - no chance. Plus who would pay for these games in NZ?

A southern Winter Games could be held in September just before the FIS winter season kicks off in October.

As for paying for it, lets not forget that New Zealand already face a capital cost of rebuilding Christchurch including most of the sport venues such as Jade Stadium and QEII stadium - as the government are already going to be paying for this, it would not be overly challenging to rebuilt venues so that they are suitable towards hosting events in a Winter Games.

With regard to outdoor facilities like the sliding track and ski jumps, these would be a source of ongoing revenue as the site for training camps post games.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is another Olympic pipe dream. I've never been to NZ but would love to visit someday. But I don't ever think that will be for an Olympic Games.

Winter Games? No. The 'out of whack' season mixed with a relatively small audience and small winter sport participation make this a very difficult sell.

Summer Games? No. The Games are gargantuan and NZ's total national population is smaller than a number of cities that have hosted recent Games. And in light of what happened with Athens and Greece, I just don't think small countries can afford or will want to have to manage the costs or building, organizing, executing and maintaining everything surrounding this massive two week event.

I am not convinced it is so 'out of whack' in terms of when it would be.

The FIS season often starts in mid October, whilst you get decent snowfalls from mid to late September. Any normal games held in February disrupts the existing seasons of most winter sports but a mid-late September games, falls right in the pre-season training regime for most of the outdoor sports so works pretty likely.

And if London 2012 proves anything, it is that in the build up to hosting a games, the enthusiasm created can lead the host nation to 'bat above average' = the Kiwis would certainly turn out in droves to support the games.

I am not convinced it is so 'out of whack' in terms of when it would be.

The FIS season often starts in mid October, whilst you get decent snowfalls from mid to late September. Any normal games held in February disrupts the existing seasons of most winter sports but a mid-late September games, falls right in the pre-season training regime for most of the outdoor sports so works pretty likely.

And if London 2012 proves anything, it is that in the build up to hosting a games, the enthusiasm created can lead the host nation to 'bat above average' = the Kiwis would certainly turn out in droves to support the games.

Yes it is out of whack - Rogge's pretty well told them it can't be scheduled in the time possible for NZ. And that's something for Rogge to admit it can't really be done.

It will NOT happen.

Yes it is out of whack - Rogge's pretty well told them it can't be scheduled in the time possible for NZ. And that's something for Rogge to admit it can't really be done.

It will NOT happen.

Jacques Rogge said in 2010 that a Southern Hemisphere (Winter Olympics) bid from Argentina or Chile were viable

http://www.latercera.com/contenido/732_279917_9.shtml

He has also said that New Zealand could host an Olympics

http://www.latercera.com/contenido/732_279917_9.shtml

Do you have more recent information because these both claim direct quotes from Rogge which disprove your comment especially as Santiago is closer to the equator than Christchurch

My ultimate would be NZ, Auckland, hosting 2040. This would be symbolic as NZ would be 200years old as a nation. Also the rotation would see Oceania come round again. Winter games are an iffy...the only base city that could host them has been destroyed and although using Queenstown and Wanaka may help. The problem is winter in NZ is too unpredictable for snow and the out of wack September is the best time.

Above all that, NZs predicted population would only be 5.7 million...There is only so much tax revenue to spread around.

In saying that, there is no holding back hosting the 'Youth' editions of the games...Although I'd think another Rugby World Cup would be more appertising as it involves the whole nation.

Archived