Can New Zealand host an Olympics?

Hachiko

Well, in my mind, New Zealand is one of only 3 countries in the Southern Hemisphere that could host the OWG's (Chile and Argentina are the others), but for all the reasons stated in other forums, I don't see the OWG's going below the Equator.

As for the Summer Games, I think Auckland is a possibility, especially if they have modern infrastructure and the Games become a bit smaller, however, I don't see the Olympics going to Oceania's corner of the world again until at least the 2040's (there are really only a few countries and cities in that area that could host).  I base that number on the fact that a 44 year period separated the 2 Aussie cities from hosting.  By then, Auckland could have a fantastic bid ready.

My friend do you know Brazil to say this stupid coment?? OK, Argentina and Chile are better places to live, but they are failed!!!!! Brazil is the only country in South America that has money to host an Olympic Games! And Rio de Janeiro is the most beautiful city in South America!!

What's wrong with this. First, let me start by saying that the original proposition dealt with WINTER games. My friend, I can't remember much snow in beautiful Rio.

Second _ Have you been to South America? Yes, Rio is beautiful, and will most likely get to host the first South American games before too long. Buenos Airies might have been Rio's competition once, but Argentina will have to rebuild itself now first. But to describe Chile as failed is ridiculous. Having been in Santiago recently, it is probably the most prosperous and vibrant city economically that I have seen in South America. Not only is Santiago a contender, It  could host both Summer and Winter games. So don't knock Chile, Santiago _ I actually think Rio has more social, economic problems.

Sorry friend, I forgot that we are talking about Winter Games, I just said that because I always see people saying bad things about Rio de Janeiro and even dont know the city. People think that Brazil is like Iraq, and I hate when people think this. Sorry, I know that you were not saying this. But I still think that Brazil is the better choice for an SOG and Santiago for WOG. But I would love to see Auckland as Summer Olympic host.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally do not see why NZ or a South American country should not have a chance to host a winter games.I know we here in the north tend to think it will throw everything off,but I think it would do us a little good to have things run a little different....In a way it helps us to be able to handle any situtation or to be able to compete in any scenario....Any way if that country has all that is needed to host a proper winter games then more power to them....I do however want to see a summer games in NZ and South America first,just because I think they could host a wonderful SOG....

New Zealand is a country of sport nuts and would pull out the stops to put on a great winter games. And while it is perhaps a small country population-wise, it is on a par with Norway which put on a fine winter games. They have organizational experience (America's Cup), an intense sport culture and a vested interest in promoting themselves to the world as a sport/adventure holiday destination.

While many of us may find multiple "practical" difficulties involved in envisioning a winter games in the southern hemisphere, such as the aforementioned...

- 90% of WOG atheletes are from northern countries

- infrastructure is lacking

- the calendar scheduling issues

I would say that an Olympics in the Andes of South America or the blue mountains of NSW or New Zealand's South Island would be fantastic for winter sports and the games!

- build a "second season" on the ski circuit

- build enthusiasm for winter sports in new places

- build upon the global intent of the games

It could add a sexy twist to the WOG audience even. C'mon, a south seas "Maori Winter Olympics" in New Zealand, now that's a cool idea! Besides, you know that the kiwi's would kill themselves to put on a games with as much flair and quality as Sydney!!!

• 2 weeks later...
hay guardian have you ever been to new zealand?

cos you seem to have no dout that nz can host a games!

No, but I would like to try. I just don't have the finances right now. Oh, BTW, the Austrian ski teams train in NZ at the Southern Hemisphere's winter season. If the Austrians are satisfied with skiing there (and they are powerhouses for sure), then why not NZ and the Winter Olympics? There's nothing wrong with artificial snow at all. Calgary did that for the 1988 Winter Olympics.

Sorry friend, but I think you are a bit wrong...Austria´s team summer-base is Portillo, Chile, I know a couple of good friends that have been elbow to elbow with Hermann Maier....

But I still think Auckland is not bad for SOG, you are to harsh with your country......You say that public transport is bad...Have you seen the public transport of another possible bid citites like Rio or Santiago?

I can tell you that everything related with transport in my city-Santiago-is a complete disaster. Excepting our subway that is the exception for the rule.

So if cities like Rio, Buenos Aires, Santiago or even Delhi dare to think in an olympic bid why Auckland cannot?

im not being hash, im being realistic I would not want to see a Auckland summer games at lest until the 2030’s

but a I think that nz should bid for a winter Olympic games. Chile and New Zealand are probably the two most realistic contenders for the first southern hemisphere winter games but I would have to lean towards nz cos:

1. Mt. Hutt has the best powder snow facilities in the SH

2. New Zealand is a highly developed nation and has the 2nd highest GDP per capita in the SH

3. New Zealand has a very stable government and is one of the most safest places to live nowadays probably cos we are so isolated.

4. New Zealand was the first SH country to win a WOG medal so maybe its fitting that we host the first SH winter games im not being hash, im being realistic I would not want to see a Auckland summer games at lest until the 2030’s

but a I think that nz should bid for a winter Olympic games. Chile and New Zealand are probably the two most realistic contenders for the first southern hemisphere winter games but I would have to lean towards nz cos:

1. Mt. Hutt has the best powder snow facilities in the SH

2. New Zealand is a highly developed nation and has the 2nd highest GDP per capita in the SH

3. New Zealand has a very stable government and is one of the most safest places to live nowadays probably cos we are so isolated.

4. New Zealand was the first SH country to win a WOG medal so maybe its fitting that we host the first SH winter games  :laughlong:

But of cores if being kinda bias cos im a new Zealander but that just natural  

:P

Well, you´re right in about some stuff:

1-Nz is more developed than Chile

2-You have better sporting achievments than we do (I think is a shame for us having so much snow and a complete lack of ski champions)

But:

1-The title of the "best powder" snow of th SH is very argueable, Portillo (chi) and Las leñas (arg) also claim to have it..

2-There are many other argueable titles, like the "biggest ski area in the SH". Valle Nevado (chi) claims having it but I know also Wanaka (nz) does..

Going back to the originalquestion -- and not having read all the posts - yes, one could say, NZ could host a WOG, very capably.  The only problem is -- wrong hemisphere; therefore very unattractive for TV ratings in the US which pays for the Games.  So, hypothetically, yes; but realistically - No.  

Now, if NZ instead set up a Games called the the Middle Earth Games, then maybe it'll get the hordes of followers.

1-The title of the "best powder" snow of th SH is very argueable, Portillo (chi) and Las leñas (arg) also claim to have it..

very true  :)

Now, if NZ instead set up a Games called the the Middle Earth Games, then maybe it'll get the hordes of followers.

ok ok it was funny the first time.....

and the second time.....

and the third....but now its just lame

:P  :;):  :P

• 2 months later...

:) New Zealnd would host a Summer OG but not untill the 2040s and beyond.  However there is a plan to focus on 2040 as that date is NZs bicentenary year, who knows.  The idea of a Winter Olympics sometime soon has been bantered about and yes NZ has come very close to bidding for them.  Yet another plan is on the board for 2014 involving Queenstown/Wanaka/Christchurch.  

But as has been mentioned, NZ is small and with the Americas Cup, Rugby WC now firmly set into that nation's sporting mindset as the next biggest things on the to grab list.  A Wellington Commonwealth Games bid could overthrow a WOG bid as the latter is expensive to host.

Still, as Jacque Rouge has said, "just bid"  :)

• 1 month later...

I hate to spoil the party, but I agree with someone who said the NZ is too small and it would cost too much

Remember, NZ is about 1,000 from Australia - that's a far piece to go for your nearest neighbour (of any size)

If NZ we faced with a $9B (projected) or $14B (actual) bill that The citizens of Athens/Greece now face, it will have a significant effect on the financial position of the country

i had read somewhere that NZ was holding itself out as a country that had been able to get is deficit under control and is actually paying off its debt (this could also have been a very old article)

i would hate to see a country that size take on something like the Olympic Games ( and I see the SOG as being an easier case that the winter one)

Sorry for a little realism.

And yes, I have been to NZ, and maybe I don't want to see it spoiled by making all the changes that would be required to hold the Olympics

we arent talking about hosting the games tomorrow and if so then yea i would be a bad idea. But in a few dacades time i think that we might be ready to host the olympic games. It would be great to bring the games home to new zealand

we arent talking about hosting the games tomorrow and if so then yea i would be a bad idea. But in a few dacades time i think that we might be ready to host the olympic games. It would be great to bring the games home to new zealand

A Summer Olympics, i think could be hard to come by in New Zealand, even if they could afford it. The lack of international recognition, and Africa, Asia and South America now eager to host (if not again and again) a Summer Games in NZ, at the earliest, 2040's.

Winter, most certainly. Does NZ have a spare 700m floating around?

Well, I've always noticed a definite bulge at the front of Helen's dress slacks, I am assuming that is extra cash, but then again ...... ahem.

It will be very difficult for major events to come to New Zealand, especially one heavily reliant on natural features ,  with the Resource Management Act that we have here.

Especially after it scuttled today the V8 Street Race in Auckland city, which I am majorly pissed off about I can tell u.

Still, a Winter games is far more likely than a summer.

Well, I've always noticed a definite bulge at the front of Helen's dress slacks, I am assuming that is extra cash, but then again ...... ahem.

It will be very difficult for major events to come to New Zealand, especially one heavily reliant on natural features ,  with the Resource Management Act that we have here.

Especially after it scuttled today the V8 Street Race in Auckland city, which I am majorly pissed off about I can tell u.

Still, a Winter games is far more likely than a summer.

:) Bummer about the V8's, off to Horsham Downs with those.

Mayor Dick Hubbard has just released plans for a tunnel crossing of the habour and plans for a 60k pax stadium in the city.  Early days yet, but the beginning of a bold plan to get the Olympics here by the 2040's.

The habour crossing is needed as he pointed out that if the bridge was knoced out the cost to the city would be huge.  The NW motorway simply wouldn't cope.

:(  Oh and yes the NZ Government does have a s##t pile of money stashed away for goodness knows what!!!

Is there ne more information about that Auckland stadium? I too heard it mentioned on the news, but haven't read anything about it. Or, was it just listed in a bunch of things he wants to do?

Is there ne more information about that Auckland stadium? I too heard it mentioned on the news, but haven't read anything about it. Or, was it just listed in a bunch of things he wants to do?

:) Tank Farm was one place mentioned but Hubbard (and Co) have to remain coy about definite sites as speculation can cause land prices to fluctuate.

As we all know this is what happend to Carlaw Park and now that famous venue is being turned into apartment blocks!

:angry:

• 5 weeks later...

:) It's quite sizable for a stadium but would need reclamation of it's environs. It's such hot property at the moment, so I doubt if the Ports Of Auckland, the land's owner would want to give it up for a stadium when better money can be made building apartment blocks.

Carlaw Park a case in point, the council speculated that it was interested in the site for a staduim of sorts, in an instant the land value soared and the apartment developers had the bigger wallets.

:verysad: Sad but True.

• 2 weeks later...
:) A study by the NZ Government's Sports agency is now being done to map out the future of that country's sports hosting asperations, a report is due sometime mid year.

• 6 years later...

It's an old, old thread. But Jacques says .... YES!!!

NZ could host Olympics - IOC head

New Zealand is not too small to host an Olympic Games, the head of the International Olympic Committee says.

IOC president Jacques Rogge is in New Zealand for the final for the Rugby World Cup and has been impressed with New Zealand's performance hosting the tournament.

"It seems to be a very, very good Rugby World Cup. [There has been] great hospitality, great passion, all the support for the various teams coming together and great organisation," Mr Rogge, a former rugby player himself, told Radio New Zealand.

While some have said the tournament would be the last Rugby World Cup New Zealand will host, Mr Rogge did not discount the possibility New Zealand could host the much larger Olympic Games.

He rejected the suggestion the country is too small to host the four-yearly event.

"No it is not too small - you can organise the Olympics with the population of only 4.4 million.

"Whether it would be useful for the country, only you can determine, it is not to the IOC to tell that.

"But it is a possibility. Finland organised the Olympic Games with a population of 5 million, Norway has hosted a Winter Olympic Games ... with the same population as New Zealand."

Mr Rogge said the host would not have to find all the money for the games, with the IOC providing funding from international sponsors to offset the costs.

Of the nearly 2 billion pound cost of the London Olympics next year, Mr Rogge said the IOC would provide around half.

Rugby Sevens will be included in the Olympics next year for the first time.

NZ Herald

Oh wow, very very old thread.

Yes, I see that. I would have preferred him to be realistic and instead encourage the possibility of bidding for a YOG.

Yeah, it's easy enough to pick apart his Rogge-speak - I mean, the Helsinki and Oslo games were a different era and a whole lesser scale to start!

I never thought much before of Auckland for the Summer YOGs. I guess I've just been too focussed on my pet hobby horse of NZ trying for a winter YOGs. But, yeah, Auckland would surely be perfectly capable of a Summer YOGs. I hope Jacques suggests exactly something like that behind closed doors.

Archived