Can New Zealand host an Olympics?

Hachiko

I was wondering, since New Zealand's government is generating millions of dollars through film companies who choose to make their films here, could that money generated be used to create a possible Olympic Games bid, be it Summer or Winter? If New Zealand keeps generating revenue through this, tourism, and other outlets, surely they should consider taking a stab at building an infrastructure for a possible future games.

I think the climate and hospitality would put New Zealand in a good situation. Plus, the events would spread over a smaller radius (for the Winter Games; summer would span both islands), with the Olympic Village in Auckland or Christchurch (depending on which Games the NZOC wants to go for).

Mattygs, anyone else, your thoughts on this? They hosted the CG a few times...why not the Olympics?

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, in my mind, New Zealand is one of only 3 countries in the Southern Hemisphere that could host the OWG's (Chile and Argentina are the others), but for all the reasons stated in other forums, I don't see the OWG's going below the Equator.

As for the Summer Games, I think Auckland is a possibility, especially if they have modern infrastructure and the Games become a bit smaller, however, I don't see the Olympics going to Oceania's corner of the world again until at least the 2040's (there are really only a few countries and cities in that area that could host).  I base that number on the fact that a 44 year period separated the 2 Aussie cities from hosting.  By then, Auckland could have a fantastic bid ready.

Source: CIA Publications

Wow I never knew how small the population of New Zealand was?

3,951,307 (July 2003 est.) .. That is smaller than Toronto.

Hmmn well maybe if New Zealand has a strong GDP they could have cash to build infastructure to host the Olympics?

Purchasing Power Parity - $78.8 billion (2002 est.)  

That is not bad...

But apparently their government is in a defecit?

revenues: $29.2 billion

expenditures: $31.2 billion, including capital expenditures of $NA (2002)

Maybe they should not be looking at having an Olympics with a running government defecit?

Hmm.. I think New Zealand can host the Olympic Games in the future. Some have said here that Auckland could put forth a bid for the Summer Games while some like the idea of Christchurch for the Winter Games.

Source: CIA Publications

Wow I never knew how small the population of New Zealand was?

3,951,307 (July 2003 est.) .. That is smaller than Toronto.

Hmmn well maybe if New Zealand has a strong GDP they could have cash to build infastructure to host the Olympics?

Purchasing Power Parity - $78.8 billion (2002 est.)  

That is not bad...

But apparently their government is in a defecit?

revenues: $29.2 billion

expenditures: $31.2 billion, including capital expenditures of $NA (2002)

Maybe they should not be looking at having an Olympics with a running government defecit?

doesn't practically every country in the world have a deficit?

it would be so great if nz could host a olympic games winter or summer. but the games would bankrup our nation nz just would not have the money and our population isnt big auckland has only 1.2m and nz has a total population of 4m

it would be so great if nz could host a olympic games winter or summer. but the games would bankrup our nation nz just would not have the money and our population isnt big auckland has only 1.2m and nz has a total population of 4m

Well, Norway has only about 5 million people and it hosted 2 Winter Olympics already, with thoughts about wanting a third one.

So, you say that Auckland has a population of about 1.2 million, right? What about Barcelona? It had about 1.6 million at the time it hosted the 1992 Olympic Games and it was successful.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forums, nzolympic.

If the (summer) Olympics are scaled back, then perhaps New Zealand can host them.

Cross your fingers, everyone...

:love: :sleepy: v     :hmm:

I don't know if it is going to be scaled back anytime soon. The IOC is staying the course of having about 28 sports and 300 events in the Olympic program. That makes it hard for Richard Pound to come up with the idea of making the Games affordable to most countries to host.

First of all... I respect nzolympics statement that it might bankrupt the country to hold an olympic games either winter or summer.  I think that New Zealand could put on a good show for either.  I think  New Zealand is an undiscovered entity when it comes to Olympic Games bidding.  They have, however, pulled off  great commonwealth games.  2 in Auckland and one in Christchruch.

Although they are not quite on the same scale, they 're pretty close.

It would be nice to see someone else in Oceana to host other than Australia.  Although Australia has always done a GREAT job.  I look at the Olympics to show me new places.  Maybe somewhere to travel.  I really want to go to Spain after seeing the games in Barcelona.  

Let others have their chance to showcase their country too.

Rjmac, I want NZ to get a shot of bidding, never mind hosting, an Olympic Games. It is, in my POV, the ISFs that are getting in the way of that dream for the country. If those ISFs gives New Zealand a World Cup, or such big event, to the country in some sports, then it will get noticed in "international sporting circles."

Sure, NZ did a great job in hosting the 3 Commonwealth Games so far. So, it deserves to transcend itself from that to go for bigger fish to catch.

• 2 weeks later...
It would be nice to see someone else in Oceana to host other than Australia.

I totally agree, and i think that in the future, say 2036/40/44 if Auckland were up against an Australian city, the majority of people would favour the New Zealand bid. Australia has hosted twice. New Zealand deserves a chance now.

By 2030 etc, Auckland would have improved/ expanded/ grown in size/ prosperity, and should be able to host an olympic games no problems.

Auckland would have a hard time trying to get the summer games in june - october. sydney was bloody cold for an SOG. cant imagine the IOC to award a games in any other months. its sad for NZ because i think they would do an excellent job and try to show australia up. which they probably would do.

I'm sure a bid for the WOG's  to be hosted in the southern hemisphere would be well supported.

not by the IOC President I reckon...

That's quite interesting. What makes you thinks that?

he was quoted somewhere saying that he's not keen having the winter games in "his" summer... :)

yeah, it doesn't work as well as having summer games in winter (or spring in the case of Sydney).  the climate is a lot more important for the winter games with the whole snow issue.  but, of course, if you check with some strange Alabamans....

• 3 weeks later...

If we were ever to host an Olympics here in NZ, there would be *so so much* work neede to be done. There are virtually no venues I can think of (except a planned indoor arena) in Auckland which would be up to Olympic standard. Also, the transport here is terrible. Totally unreliable overground rail service, no underground/subway, and terrible roads. Maybe hosting a successful Commonwealth games, or other world championships may improve our chances.

And I don't think that a Winter Games would be realistically feasible either. There are not really any major cities near mountains, and although the games would probably be very picturesque. Everything else may not.

However the one major thing in our favour is the successful hosting of 2 America's Cups' and turning them into a huge event.

Andrew in a hot NZ

If we were ever to host an Olympics here in NZ, there would be *so so much* work neede to be done. There are virtually no venues I can think of (except a planned indoor arena) in Auckland which would be up to Olympic standard. Also, the transport here is terrible. Totally unreliable overground rail service, no underground/subway, and terrible roads. Maybe hosting a successful Commonwealth games, or other world championships may improve our chances.

And I don't think that a Winter Games would be realistically feasible either. There are not really any major cities near mountains, and although the games would probably be very picturesque. Everything else may not.

However the one major thing in our favour is the successful hosting of 2 America's Cups' and turning them into a huge event.

Andrew in a hot NZ

So? Calgary had to build all, but one facility, from scratch. This is coming from a country that "specializes" in winter sports, especially ice hockey and curling.

In other words, it is possible for NZ to host the Winter Olympics in the future.

I think NZ at the moment would not be a feasible place for the summer or winter games (someone earlier saying how the NZ government stated that a SOG would bankrupt the country?).

But in 2036, 40, 44, when an Australian city is bidding (with a good chance of success),  by that time NZ will probably be much more developed, and be able to put in a strong bid from Auckland, to host a SOG.

So far as the WOG are concerned, again in the future (20 years) it is a possibility.

Archived