• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spot on. Los Angeles and Salt Lake are two of my favorites because it touched on American culture and my country. Do I think they were the best - yes. Were they? To some yes, to some no. Do I exp

From Savas in another thread:

A good post and it hit the nail on the head. Of course, for Greeks, the Athens ceremony touched them emotionally far deeper than it would other nationalities. Just as, as an Aussie, the Sydney ceremony was by far the most emotionally charged for me and touched parts of my psyche that only other Aussies could perhaps appreciate. It's just natural, understandable and a really a reflection of our pride in our nationalities and how we managed to present it in a ceremony to the rest of the world.

It's not the Greek's attachment to the Athens ceremony that I think has so many of us surprised _ that's totally natural, expected and justifiable _ but the vehemence of the attacks from some of the Greek posters against the Beijing OC , some of those dismissals have been a bit over the top, and the accusations that people only "adore" the Beijing OC because they always wanted the Greeks to fail! That's just becoming paranoid!

If I tried to compare ceremonies, it will always be hard for me to put behind how special and deeply touching Sydney's was for me and other Australians. It will always be my sentimental favourite. Athen's I always liked _ it was nothing if not classy _ but it didn't touch me. If I really try to just compare ceremonies objectively on their general overall presentation, though, I'd really have to concede that Beijing just lifted the bar to a whole new hight compared to anything in the past. I think it was brilliant! China and everyone Chinese should rightly be VERY proud of it. Just as Aussies and Greeks can rightly be proud of our own. But our time has now passed.

Very well said!

I really don't understand the fundamentalism of some Greek members either. Instead of being glad that their artful, very philosophical ceremony will remain unique at least for the next two or four years, they throw mud at Beijing's OC just because it was different from Athens' OC and it didn't meet their personal taste (for whatever reasons). Criticism is OK, but not in the fashion of "the biggest waste of time in Olympic history" or similar comments. The sour grapes are apparent, especially since most members of this forum praise the ceremony.

And by the way: As a German, I've now made my own experiences with having a memorable big sports events in the home country. Nevertheless, I wish the next organisers of the FIFA World Cup, South Africa and Brazil, all the best -- even if they try to surpass the success of our World Cup. Just like Roltel said: We can be proud of our own success as host country, but now our time has passed and it's a different country's turn. You can't begrudge future hosts the right of staging the best Olympics, the best World Cup etc. ever. Or even only of staging the best opening ceremony ever (while this will always be a matter of personal taste anyway).

So it makes me very sad (and angry) when I see some members from former Olympic host countries behaving in such a jealous manner and try everything to rain on Beijing's parade just because they fear the status of their own Olympic Games. We aren't in kindergarten, guys!

I can't believe what I'm reading here!

If I'm arrogant, stupid, nationalist, or whatever you want to call, because I didn't like Beijing OC, then I suppose the same applies to you all that hated Athens 2004 ceremony.

And to put things in order, where did I right that I wanted Beijing to fail?

So, to close the topic and make you all happy.

BEIJING 2008 had the best ceremony in the history of the Olympic Games. I love it! All other ceremonies are like school plays!

And to make you all more happy.

Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad.

If I tried to compare ceremonies, it will always be hard for me to put behind how special and deeply touching Sydney's was for me and other Australians. It will always be my sentimental favourite. Athen's I always liked _ it was nothing if not classy _ but it didn't touch me. If I really try to just compare ceremonies objectively on their general overall presentation, though, I'd really have to concede that Beijing just lifted the bar to a whole new hight compared to anything in the past. I think it was brilliant! China and everyone Chinese should rightly be VERY proud of it. Just as Aussies and Greeks can rightly be proud of our own. But our time has now passed.

Spot on. Los Angeles and Salt Lake are two of my favorites because it touched on American culture and my country. Do I think they were the best - yes. Were they? To some yes, to some no. Do I expect others to think they were? No. It just has a special place for me.

This whole bashing Bejing's ceremonies is much ado about nothing. The embellishments they did are just upping the technology bar that started with probably Barcelona and has continued from there. I mean the drummers in Athens were not both live but it didn't take away from the ceremony and I really liked that part.

As for the replacement of the little girl, that is a bit odd simply because lip synching is normally only done by the artist who actually sang it. But to turn it into a scandal is a bit much.

P.S. - I love their torch and the torch lighting. And how creative to take Lillehammer's cauldron, Wrap it tightly in Atlanta's cauldron and attach the L.A. spout for the actual lighting! :lol:

• Like 1
BEIJING 2008 had the best ceremony in the history of the Olympic Games. I love it! All other ceremonies are like school plays!

Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad....

You said it, we didn't.

FYI, the Sydney, Athens, and Beijing ceremonies are all equally my top favourites.

I really want to see the posting where I said that I didn't like Athens' opening ceremony. I only don't like it when someone strongly appears to be sour grapes because he fears that this opening ceremony could be forgotten (which is clearly not the case, due to the uniqueness of Athens' OC, as I already pointed out).

And by the way: I said,

We aren't in kindergarten, guys!

You, Pyrros, replied with

Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. Athens 2004 Opening Ceremony is bad. (...)

Which leads me back to:

We aren't in kindergarten, guys!

Jeez, all those Athens 2004 fangirls....=3=

I find very unfair that some people are unjustified trowing tomatoes at Beijing 2008 OC. Ok, it was not perfect, but come on. The scroll theme, the fireworks, the...aww whatever, do you really think that all the people focuses on the philosophical messages of a show, or prefer to see something with a WOW factor?. And you think the world is going to remember that the girl didnt sang (or the arrow didnt hit the flame, or the cauldron who came from a lake stood like for 3 minutes on the rail because of a failure, etc.)?

THE WORLD DOESNT MOTHER F**** CARE (forgive my bad language :P ). This ceremonies acomplished the objective of being awesome and THATS WHAT THE WORLD DOES CARE ABOUT (Altough....i have to admit that the parade of nations was a piece of crap with that mariachis and bagpipes :blink: ).

Sorry if i didnt put a long and detailed comment but i'm a man of few words ^^

Jeez, all those Athens 2004 fangirls....=3=

I find very unfair that some people are unjustified trowing tomatoes at Beijing 2008 OC. Ok, it was not perfect, but come on. The scroll theme, the fireworks, the...aww whatever, do you really think that all the people focuses on the philosophical messages of a show, or prefer to see something with a WOW factor?. And you think the world is going to remember that the girl didnt sang (or the arrow didnt hit the flame, or the cauldron who came from a lake stood like for 3 minutes on the rail because of a failure, etc.)?

THE WORLD DOESNT MOTHER F**** CARE (forgive my bad language :P ). This ceremonies acomplished the objective of being awesome and THATS WHAT THE WORLD DOES CARE ABOUT (Altough....i have to admit that the parade of nations was a piece of crap with that mariachis and bagpipes :blink: ).

Sorry if i didnt put a long and detailed comment but i'm a man of few words ^^

it's happened in China, that means no matter what Chinese do, it's all have to be tagged with political correction. Even a piece of **** among Beijing's toliets got to be remembered as ''kind of rotten evidence of Olympics''....lol

it's happened in China, that means no matter what Chinese do, it's all have to be tagged with political correction. Even a piece of **** among Beijing's toliets got to be remembered as ''kind of rotten evidence of Olympics''....lol

That's NOT really so, Maryjane. China has really impressed the world, in its massive preparations to stage these Games, its athletic prowess (of course, being a totalitarian state helps a lot), and of course that unforgettable Opening Ceremony. But China, or whomever the host is, will always have its detractors; so that's a given.

Each Games always pushes the Ceremonies envelope a little farther. And of course, you get to compare it to the last one. That's inevitable. But the Ceremonies of 08/08/08 were far beyond anything one could've imagined. They were magical; they were mesmerizing; they were jaw-dropping. They really have set the benchmark for OCs so high now!!

Maryjane, that's not helping. Comments like that are as bad as some of the most negative of dismissals of the OC. It's a no-win situation _ critique Beijing's OC and you're part of the world politically correct conspiracy against China. Praise it, and you're part of the world anti-Greek consipracy.

Sheesh! Get a grip people!

Edited by Sir Roltel

sorry to all~I just being a bit harsh on words~You know this is what the world is all about...One world one dream. But it's shame this world involved too many distrusts among each other..

Like Russia and Georgia war started just on the date of Olympics.....maybe pathetic but realistic. HARMONY is really urging...

That's NOT really so, Maryjane. China has really impressed the world, in its massive preparations to stage these Games, its athletic prowess (of course, being a totalitarian state helps a lot), and of course that unforgettable Opening Ceremony. But China, or whomever the host is, will always have its detractors; so that's a given.

Each Games always pushes the Ceremonies envelope a little farther. And of course, you get to compare it to the last one. That's inevitable. But the Ceremonies of 08/08/08 were far beyond anything one could've imagined. They were magical; they were mesmerizing; they were jaw-dropping. They really have set the benchmark for OCs so high now!!

Maryjane, that's not helping. Comments like that are as bad as some of the most negative of dismissals of the OC. It's a no-win situation _ critique Beijing's OC and you're part of the world politically correct conspiracy against China. Praise it, and you're part of the world anti-Greek consipracy.

Sheesh! Get a grip people!

I agree with baron and roland...

So after all the in-fighting, I suppose we are back to one world one dream, and that we are all one big happy family? :lol:

I am glad that finally, some sensibility and humility has taken over. Personally, I am very worried what the Singapore YOG OC is going to be like after watching the Beijing OC!

Opening Ceremonies should be understood from the point of view of the host country. It's an expression of their culture. I think that some opnions of those hating the Beijing OC is based on ignorance of Chinese and maybe Asian culture. Asians like the big and gigantic presentation while Europeans like small or personal scale ones with big costumes. If you would watch the first YOG in 210, you'd see that gigantic formations would be a central part of their OC. Same with India's CG in 2010.

There is also a difference in style between the OC of Athens and Beijing since the directors had different backgrounds. Athens was more theatrical while Beijing was more cinematic. There is also the difference in the theme and message. Athens was about how man understood himself. It was more instrospective. It started from the Cycladic head to the DNA strand with Greek history in between. Beijing, as a later host, wasn't bound by that storyline, the same way Athens was bound to follow Sydney's. Imagine Mediterranean sea life on the water pool in the stadium. Beijing's OC had 2 parts: the Chinese civilization which westerners might not know what they contributed to the world; and the modern China which offers a lot to the world. IMHO, Athens was more of the past told in contemporary fashion. Beijing has future aspirations w/c they showed on their 2nd part. Athens was about philosophy told with modern techonolgy. Beijing was about technology with Chinese philosophy.

Everything went right in Beijing's OC. I remember in Athens Bjork was supposed to soar above the Athletes. She didn't for some reason. Of course there was some "trickery" employed in Beijing. The little girl lipsynching I agreed sucked. I pitied the real singer because she had to be replaced by a prettier one. As for the footprints, I already had an idea because the fireworks didn't disappear and fall down as it should. And since the official reason of riskiness for the helicopter was IMHO plausible, I think it's really nothing to fuss about.

Athens was the best OC at that time. But if I was watching inside the stadium, it would be a bit boring because there are some moments which were dead. Like after the rings were lighted, the only thing we see is the drummers exiting. And it may be difficult to understand the floats unless you're watching on TV. At least on TV it was a close up and that looked good. But if you're at the upper-most section, it's difficult to appreciate especially if you didn't study Greek culture. Also the music was adapted from originally published sources, except for Clypsedra. But it was wonderful nevertheless. Beijing's music was all original. And it was a visual feast. I think you have to be in the stadium to appreciate the scale of what they did.

London has the challenge of raising the bar again. I'm sure they'll do something contemporary. I wouldn't expect them to do some Arthurian epic unless they're crazy enough. And no deep philosphy lesson like Athens. I'm sure they'll come up with something great and I hope they won't have a mess called the Atlanta OC. Los Angeles was a lot better despite some corny Hollywood stuff. Let's face it, we like Hollywood blockbusters. My sister even griped that Atlanta's OC was bad because they had no "culture" and the Games would be better if it were back in LA if only for the OC alone.

If you would watch the first YOG in 210, you'd see that gigantic formations would be a central part of their OC.

While I agree with most of your views, I doubt the YOG OC in 2010 will be significantly large-scale, and perhaps it may be more due to technical constraints. The OC will be held on a floating stage, which is only about the size of a football field with not much room for much technical wizardry or quick mass movements of people critical in big-scale performances.

Opening Ceremonies should be understood from the point of view of the host country. It's an expression of their culture. I think that some opnions of those hating the Beijing OC is based on ignorance of Chinese and maybe Asian culture. Asians like the big and gigantic presentation while Europeans like small or personal scale ones with big costumes. If you would watch the first YOG in 210, you'd see that gigantic formations would be a central part of their OC. Same with India's CG in 2010.

There is also a difference in style between the OC of Athens and Beijing since the directors had different backgrounds. Athens was more theatrical while Beijing was more cinematic. There is also the difference in the theme and message. Athens was about how man understood himself. It was more instrospective. It started from the Cycladic head to the DNA strand with Greek history in between. Beijing, as a later host, wasn't bound by that storyline, the same way Athens was bound to follow Sydney's. Imagine Mediterranean sea life on the water pool in the stadium. Beijing's OC had 2 parts: the Chinese civilization which westerners might not know what they contributed to the world; and the modern China which offers a lot to the world. IMHO, Athens was more of the past told in contemporary fashion. Beijing has future aspirations w/c they showed on their 2nd part. Athens was about philosophy told with modern techonolgy. Beijing was about technology with Chinese philosophy.

Everything went right in Beijing's OC. I remember in Athens Bjork was supposed to soar above the Athletes. She didn't for some reason. Of course there was some "trickery" employed in Beijing. The little girl lipsynching I agreed sucked. I pitied the real singer because she had to be replaced by a prettier one. As for the footprints, I already had an idea because the fireworks didn't disappear and fall down as it should. And since the official reason of riskiness for the helicopter was IMHO plausible, I think it's really nothing to fuss about.

Athens was the best OC at that time. But if I was watching inside the stadium, it would be a bit boring because there are some moments which were dead. Like after the rings were lighted, the only thing we see is the drummers exiting. And it may be difficult to understand the floats unless you're watching on TV. At least on TV it was a close up and that looked good. But if you're at the upper-most section, it's difficult to appreciate especially if you didn't study Greek culture. Also the music was adapted from originally published sources, except for Clypsedra. But it was wonderful nevertheless. Beijing's music was all original. And it was a visual feast. I think you have to be in the stadium to appreciate the scale of what they did.

London has the challenge of raising the bar again. I'm sure they'll do something contemporary. I wouldn't expect them to do some Arthurian epic unless they're crazy enough. And no deep philosphy lesson like Athens. I'm sure they'll come up with something great and I hope they won't have a mess called the Atlanta OC. Los Angeles was a lot better despite some corny Hollywood stuff. Let's face it, we like Hollywood blockbusters. My sister even griped that Atlanta's OC was bad because they had no "culture" and the Games would be better if it were back in LA if only for the OC alone.

That's the best explanation I've read.

Just a quick note - the Chinese press obviously ate it up and the locals loved it - however the journos I have spoken with have said while they enjoyed the show, it was a baffling introduction to China. They agreed Sydney and Athens were far better orchaestrated introductions to each countries culture and history but they agree Beijing may have had the visual edge. I tend to agree with this. The Chinese threw some huge shapes and sounds out there - and for the most part they were very impressive. I did not - however - get a great sense of Chinese history. It was there - but it wasn't as front and centre as the last two ceremonies. I have bought the official dvds and will watch the entire ceremony again when I get home.

Just a quick note - the Chinese press obviously ate it up and the locals loved it - however the journos I have spoken with have said while they enjoyed the show, it was a baffling introduction to China. They agreed Sydney and Athens were far better orchaestrated introductions to each countries culture and history but they agree Beijing may have had the visual edge. I tend to agree with this. The Chinese threw some huge shapes and sounds out there - and for the most part they were very impressive. I did not - however - get a great sense of Chinese history. It was there - but it wasn't as front and centre as the last two ceremonies. I have bought the official dvds and will watch the entire ceremony again when I get home.

I totally agree. Visually, it was everything I thought it should be. But somehow I felt like the content I expected wasn't there. Since it was directed by Zhang Yimou, I was really expecting a very thematic production much like his wuxia films(Hero, Flying Dagger). The ceremony relied too much on mass performances and lacked the intricate choroegraphy that I've seen in his films. The Chinese just a mass of people who like to scream. It needed more subtle moments. And the historical intrepretation was lacking. It didn't give the audience a sense of chronology that the Clypsedra segment provided in Athens. I want to know "Okay, so this came after this and developed into this." I'm pretty sure Chinese history is very confusing because some elements look like it could be both from prehistoric China or the Qing dynasty.

I totally agree. Visually, it was everything I thought it should be. But somehow I felt like the content I expected wasn't there. Since it was directed by Zhang Yimou, I was really expecting a very thematic production much like his wuxia films(Hero, Flying Dagger). The ceremony relied too much on mass performances and lacked the intricate choroegraphy that I've seen in his films. The Chinese just a mass of people who like to scream. It needed more subtle moments. And the historical intrepretation was lacking. It didn't give the audience a sense of chronology that the Clypsedra segment provided in Athens. I want to know "Okay, so this came after this and developed into this." I'm pretty sure Chinese history is very confusing because some elements look like it could be both from prehistoric China or the Qing dynasty.

I meant to say the Chinese isn't just a mass of people who like to scream.

And one more thing, I would've liked to see segments on China's later dynasties like Song, Yuan, Ming and Qing. Okay, maybe not Qing.